Those on the Visa amnesty

Those on the visa amnesty  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

The case is that for years (many many years) the only viable option for many long stayers in Thailand was to visit a neighboring country for a 3 month tourist visa. This is impossible to do now. .

Getting numerous tourist visas to stay long term wasnt a viable option as they began to limit the amount of visas you could obtain from embassys .

Although it may have been just about possible to keep doing that , it was becoming more and more difficult up to a point that it was nigh on impossible 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zikomat said:

On the other hand, who needs the Immigration when the country’s borders are closed for 6 months and will be closed even longer? And what might be their function at the moment? To squeeze out of the country the only tourists Thailand currently have? This is why the government has overridden the Immigration’s initiatives for three consecutive times. Hope they will do it again in September.

So you voted for the 4th option? ????

I'm chilling out until the cabinet meeting where they agree to extend the current amnesty until 2021.

I guess I'll just wait to travel to different countries next year when covid dies down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

so what is your solution ?

I'm looking for one. At present I don't have one.

What I want is a non Immigrant type O, because I am a single parent caring for a child. I would settle for a single entry to get me through to the New Year, but would prefer a multiple entry.

Edited by herfiehandbag

14 hours ago, finy said:

I'm chilling out until the cabinet meeting where they agree to extend the current amnesty until 2021.

I guess I'll just wait to travel to different countries next year when covid dies down.

You are putting all your eggs in one basket .

The Cabinet will not announce their next measures until about a week before September 26 th , and IF they dont extend the amnesty , you wont have time to get a long term visa and it would be difficult to get flights out .

I expect the Cabinet to allow another  amnesty, only for those who are genuinely  stuck here

14 minutes ago, finy said:

My backup plan is to ride things out in another country until next year.

I just don't know what countries will be open towards the end of next month, so it's pointless thinking about it until closer to the 26th.

I still think they'll extend the amnesty once everyone on here gets their education and volunteer visas sorted out. Immigration officials will be too busy shopping for new Gucci shirts to give the cabinet any recommendations.

The problem is that no one can tell what will happen in the future , whether Countries will either open or close or open aand then close again  .

I have gotton a long term visa after being on amnesty on a visa exempt, so, come September 26 th . I will either be annoyed with you for being able to stay longer on the Visa exempt for free and I wasted 50 K,  OR , you will be annoyed with me for having a long term visa . ???? ha ha 

• Like 1

I certainly hope that the 43% who indicated "Wait and hope for a further extension of the amnesty" actually meant "wait and hope, but if it has not happened by mid September, leave the country by the 26th" (an option not listed among the poll choices).

To simply remain here through the 26th  hoping would be unwise in the extreme. Everyone should have a back up plan that prevents them being on overstay as of 27 September.

It is understandable that people might not want to make definitive plans to leave now, in case there is a further extension. But if I were in this situation I would try to book a refundable ticket now with departure on 25-26. As leaving it too late risks no seats being available.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sudaca said:

Why being kicked out and government trying to figure out best way to allow tourists to get inside?

If you are on a tourist type visa and have not left within a month you are considered flotsam and best "cleared out". IMO Immigration will use this to reset things to ground zero and clear out all the flotsam. New people coming for up to one month are considered desirable tourists.

Edited by mokwit

19 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

Australians will also have extreme problems returning with the absurdly small limits that it's government is putting on returnees.

The only restrictions to arrivals I can see are for 

• NSW — 50 people per flight, with no more than 450 passengers allowed each day
  • WA — 525 people per week, around 75 people a day

Though you will have to pay for quarantine. You can travel to a different state and travel to one of those, not easily, but you can.

this applies to Australian citizens and permanent residents.

If there are other limitations for Australians And PR please post them.

42 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The only restrictions to arrivals I can see are for 

Though you will have to pay for quarantine. You can travel to a different state and travel to one of those, not easily, but you can.

this applies to Australian citizens and permanent residents.

If there are other limitations for Australians And PR please post them.

I don't know precisely, but I have heard this limitation on passengers from other Aussies trying to get back posting in the forum, which in turn limits availability of flights and creates flight cancellations. I would expect them to be able to get embassy letters when the end of September rolls around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

New people coming for up to one month are considered desirable tourists.

I think they will eventually change this attitude since it seems they will continue the 2 week quarantine for the next year or two or three until this pandemic is over.  No one will come here for only 30 days if they have to quarantine for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

I don't know precisely, but I have heard this limitation on passengers from other Aussies trying to get back posting in the forum, which in turn limits availability of flights and creates flight cancellations. I would expect them to be able to get embassy letters when the end of September rolls around.

Nippon, Qatar and Cathay Pacific all have commercial flights to Australia plus the Embassy has organised five flights to Sydney for August (every Sunday), flights to Sydney are limited to 30 passengers.

In view of that the Embassy will not provide letters.

Source: Aust. Embassy website Bangkok

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vermin on arrival said:

So there seems to be no actual limit apart from the 2 states I posted.

Please post a claim from the point of view of facts rather than making unfounded assumptions. 

Australians can fly to Australia.
Easily? No.
Cheaply? No.

Are there limits to certain states? Yes. 

Are other limits? No, not that I can see.

There are flights cancelled.

There are regular flights arriving.

Many international flights are primarily cargo but also carry passengers, this is not the same as before.

7 hours ago, dodgybros said:

Nippon, Qatar and Cathay Pacific all have commercial flights to Australia plus the Embassy has organised five flights to Sydney for August (every Sunday), flights to Sydney are limited to 30 passengers.

In view of that the Embassy will not provide letters.

Source: Aust. Embassy website Bangkok

Do you speak for the Australian Embassy? Can you see into the future? They say that now, and they also said that in mid-July. At the end of July they changed their policy. Many Embassies have flip flopped back and forth throughout this epidemic. In the end, we are all just speculating. We'll see what they do at the end of Sept.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Do you speak for the Australian Embassy? Can you see into the future? They say that now, and they also said that in mid-July. At the end of July they changed their policy. Many Embassies have flip flopped back and forth throughout this epidemic. In the end, we are all just speculating. We'll see what they do at the end of Sept.

That is correct. It changes with the wind. The Embassies are actually in a tough spot when it comes to these things. They have to balance "taking care" of their citizens visiting the host country, WHILE NOT causing any diplomatic spats with the host country by appearing to override the host's policies. So it's a game of back-and-forth posturing, and especially in these Asian countries....FACE SAVING. It brings to mind a saying from an infamous moron:  "It is what it is." ????

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I certainly hope that the 43% who indicated "Wait and hope for a further extension of the amnesty" actually meant "wait and hope, but if it has not happened by mid September, leave the country by the 26th" (an option not listed among the poll choices).

To simply remain here through the 26th  hoping would be unwise in the extreme. Everyone should have a back up plan that prevents them being on overstay as of 27 September.

It is understandable that people might not want to make definitive plans to leave now, in case there is a further extension. But if I were in this situation I would try to book a refundable ticket now with departure on 25-26. As leaving it too late risks no seats being available.

End of amnesty does not mean an immediate overstay. There will be some sort of ‘grace period’ before that for sure.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mokwit said:

If you are on a tourist type visa and have not left within a month you are considered flotsam and best "cleared out". IMO Immigration will use this to reset things to ground zero and clear out all the flotsam. New people coming for up to one month are considered desirable tourists.

Reset things? The things were already reset from 40 million tourists to just thousands thanks to Covid. Are you sure they will want to reset it any further? And new people... there will be no new people for many months ahead.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

The problem is that no one can tell what will happen in the future , whether Countries will either open or close or open aand then close again  .

I have gotton a long term visa after being on amnesty on a visa exempt, so, come September 26 th . I will either be annoyed with you for being able to stay longer on the Visa exempt for free and I wasted 50 K,  OR , you will be annoyed with me for having a long term visa . ???? ha ha 

I won't be annoyed with you, I'll be happy for you. I'm more than happy to leave if I have no other choice.

I think there will be some countries that will definitely be open in September. Maybe in winter things might be different due to covid + flu, but I can't see places like Turkey and Ukraine closing before then.

I don't know why people will be upset if the amnesty is extended. 50K is a small gamble in the grand scheme of things for peace of mind and it will last 5-6 months.