Those on the Visa amnesty

Those on the visa amnesty  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Caldera said:

That's a lot of nonsense. Firstly, those on automatic extension granted by the government aren't "illegal tourists" - there is nothing illegal about staying for as long as it's permitted. Secondly, nothing stops that group from purchasing medical insurance and I'm sure many have done so - I know I have.

Technically they are illegal. But the amnesty shields them from being prosecuted/fined/deported.

What medical insurance can a non-resident tourist buy for his stay in Thailand while already in the country? I know it's possible to purchase a police for example from World Nomads while already traveling but it has a short period where you can't claim to prevent fraud.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zikomat said:

This is an obvious misinformation. What about previous amnesty? Those who left thinking it will not be prolonged made a big mistake (in case they wanted to stay longer). Anybody who wants to stay in Thailand for some more time should, at least, wait for an official announcement regarding what happens after 26 of September. 

I think you mean wait for another and different official announcement. While nothing is ever certain, this is the reality:

• The cabinet agreed a further grace period until September 26 (a highly significant date as it was exactly six months from the March 26th date you had to be legal to qualify). Many believed the extension would be until September 30, but the "rules are rules" brigade won the day.
  • Implementation of cabinet decisions is up to immigration. Immigration has explained very clearly what the implications of the September 26th end date implies.
  • While some might, in the short term, escape serious consequences for failing to leave or get an extension, there are some senior officials who will be straining at the bit to make an example of some on overstay.

This is not fear mongering. It described the most likely scenario. Further, you need to recognise that some immigration offices will not be friendly unless you are using an agent to get non standard extensions.

By the second week of July, I was confidently predicting a further grace period after July 31st because there was no clear warning that people had to leave. While I expect some verbal warnings from immigration in early September, the Prime Minister is not going to be making any announcements. You can believe that Immigration understands the intentions of the cabinet and Prime Minister, or assume that Immigration is on a deliberate misinformation campaign, or believe that the cabinet will reverse its July decision, and provide a way to stay. I am of the opinion that Immigration has told us what the cabinet decided, and it would be wise to believe them.

• Like 2

I'd take something else into the consideration as well. With all these anti government protests going on and some foreigners apparently have nothing better to do other than inserting themselves into the masses it's not unreasonable to think that the PM and his cabinet will take this prima facie personal. In the very least it'll rub them the wrong way.

The more foreigners are making headlines in the BKK Post with taking part in protests the sooner they want those people out of the country.

Foreigners in the country aren't really the primary focus of the government anymore. Covid in the country hasn't spread for 3 months.

8 hours ago, PatrickC said:

The Australian embassy in Canberra can instruct other consulates to open and issue you the visa. Just ask them politely. It can be done

I was born and grew up in Canberra but I don't remember there being an Australian Embassy there.If you mean the Thai Embassy in Canberra are you suggesting they may be able to instruct the Suvanakhet Thai Consulate to open?I think they are already open but I don't think they will issue a Thai visa whilst I'm still in Thailand as someone has already suggested,it's one of the rules. 

11 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

What is there to stop you leaving Thailand now ?

The fact that there are NO direct flights available to our home country.

Sure I could do some 2 day crazy stuff with 3 stop overs flying around the globe but we traveling with 2 small kids and around 12 pieces of luggage so this is not really an option. And even this might be a problem when flights are cancelled which is happening frequently.

• Like 1