Those on the Visa amnesty

Those on the visa amnesty  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So there seems to be no actual limit apart from the 2 states I posted.

Please post a claim from the point of view of facts rather than making unfounded assumptions. 

Australians can fly to Australia.
Easily? No.
Cheaply? No.

I suspect one of the unspoken drivers is the number of people sitting on unused return tickets for their flights that were cancelled, with the expectation (hope?) that they'll be able to use those tickets instead of paying for an overpriced repatriation flight.  It's a race (or rather, a standoff)...  Will immigration extend the amnesty long enough that those unused tickets can be used?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mokwit said:

If you are on a tourist type visa and have not left within a month you are considered flotsam and best "cleared out". IMO Immigration will use this to reset things to ground zero and clear out all the flotsam. New people coming for up to one month are considered desirable tourists.

For those who came in and commented on the above, I did actually post further clarifications.

Edited by mokwit

7 hours ago, impulse said:

I suspect one of the unspoken drivers is the number of people sitting on unused return tickets for their flights that were cancelled, with the expectation (hope?) that they'll be able to use those tickets instead of paying for an overpriced repatriation flight.  It's a race (or rather, a standoff)...  Will immigration extend the amnesty long enough that those unused tickets can be used?

You are probably correct in part, but there are regular commercial flights by a few airlines Qatar is one. These flights are not the bargain basement price that people are used to, though not as high as a repatriation flight. 

It is quite possible that the unused tickets will not be able to be used on new flights, even when/if the airlines start flying (not going bankrupt), without paying extra. 

Any expectation of using an old ticket without having to cough up more cash I think is fantasy.

So virtually all Australians posting that they can’t fly back are not telling the truth.

10 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Any expectation of using an old ticket without having to cough up more cash I think is fantasy.

Yes, expecting an airline that is currently facing bankruptcy, will be flexible and allow their tickets to be transferred or encashed, transferred in that they will allow other carriers to accept them, is very optimistic. I recall BA allowed me to fly on Delta to leave the USA just after 9-11... BA were a different carrier back then.

19 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

I think they will eventually change this attitude since it seems they will continue the 2 week quarantine for the next year or two or three until this pandemic is over.  No one will come here for only 30 days if they have to quarantine for 2 weeks.

Is there any proof that or statements saying that they plan to keep Quarantine for the time length you have stated or is this another case of mis or no information.

Edited by stretch5163

2 minutes ago, stretch5163 said:

Is there any proof that or statements saying that they plan to keep Quarantine for the time length you have stated or is this another case of mis or no information.

A vaccine would like change the 2 week quarantine requiremnt. Until then, I expect it will remain.

9 hours ago, finy said:

I won't be annoyed with you, I'll be happy for you. I'm more than happy to leave if I have no other choice.

I think there will be some countries that will definitely be open in September. Maybe in winter things might be different due to covid + flu, but I can't see places like Turkey and Ukraine closing before then.

I don't know why people will be upset if the amnesty is extended. 50K is a small gamble in the grand scheme of things for peace of mind and it will last 5-6 months.

Turkey will probably go back into COVID-19 lockdown next month, professor says

https://ahvalnews.com/turkey-covid-19/turkey-will-probably-go-back-covid-19-lockdown-next-month-professor-says

Covid numbers are on the increase in Turkey, 

• Thanks 1

"Wait" and "Leave in Sept" are the same option, so not sure what to "vote" here.

I won't be overstaying, but will not leave before I must - hoping more options (here or abroad) become available.

Maybe my employer will pay-off immigration through a "lawyer" to "fix" things.  Will see.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Turkey will probably go back into COVID-19 lockdown next month, professor says

https://ahvalnews.com/turkey-covid-19/turkey-will-probably-go-back-covid-19-lockdown-next-month-professor-says

Covid numbers are on the increase in Turkey, 

"Numbers" increase with testing, and spread is inevitable.  Only the 'death rate' matters (and is usually ignored by the media).

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 7:08 PM, herfiehandbag said:

I am on a multiple entry non O. I am still married, but separated now for 10 months. My wife has abandoned my daughter, who suffers from depression and needs psychiatric treatment and medication. I can not abandon my daughter. ...

As the 400K only needs to be in the acct on the day you apply to support a Thai child (no "seasoning") - IF you can apply on that route, the agent-cost might only be 15K to 20K - vs the 35K or so a "married to a Thai" agent application costs (more due to payoff to district-level approval).

This is because the agent can do the "flash money and get bank-letter that day" trick, which they use for retirement-based extensions (where no district-level approval is required).   Someone reported this in another thread - good luck.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Majority of media in Turkey is Government controlled so you only hear what the Government wants you to hear

I should have said Corporate/Govt - instead of "the media".  Whether the govt controls the media, or the corporations which own the media control the govt, it amounts to the same thing - propaganda designed to "manufacture" public-opinion.  That said, maybe Turkey will "shut down" again after high-season, just as Thailand did only AFTER the Chinese New Year money had been collected.

• Like 2

I have a Non B on extension of stay with a current work permit, my extension of stay finishes mid September.

I am trying to leave and return to Australia but flights are difficult to find with many cancellations or over the top pricing.

Is there any way I can not extend my extension and change to a 30 day tourist visa which gives me the possibility of a 60 day extension?

5 minutes ago, Oldgumshoe said:

Is there any way I can not extend my extension and change to a 30 day tourist visa which gives me the possibility of a 60 day extension?

Basically no.

What 60 day extension are you writing about?

If married to or the parent of a Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit them with any type of entry.

4 minutes ago, Oldgumshoe said:

Thanks Joe, I am none of those, I was told if you had a tourist visa it was possible to get a 60 day extension on top of the 30 days allowed by the visa.

You cannot apply for a tourist visa in the country that would allow 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. They can only be applied for at a Thai embassy or consulate.

There is a option to apply for a 30 day special extension with a letter from your embassy.

2 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

all your hopes on an untested vaccine and hope for the best ?

Not worried myself, live in Covid free Thailand. I am pretty sure any approved vaccine will have been well tested. 

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not worried myself, live in Covid free Thailand. I am pretty sure any approved vaccine will have been well tested. 

Approved by whom though ?

The new Russian vaccine would have been approved by the Russians ,would you be first in the queue to get vaccinated ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Approved by whom though ?

The new Russian vaccine would have been approved by the Russians ,would you be first in the queue to get vaccinated ?

I doubt it... where is this queue? As I said, I have no need unless I decide to travel, which is unlikely. 

I did  contact a visa agency asking about a volunteer visa and I asked the lady what I would be volunteering for .

She said that if I obtained the 3 month volunteer visa that I would be volunteering to paint and decorate her office and apartment and to wash her car once a week and that if I obtained a one year visa, I would be volunteering to help plant the rice in her families rice fields in the village and to tarmac her driveway all at my expense.

I think I will apply for a medical visa instead 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot apply for a tourist visa in the country that would allow 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. They can only be applied for at a Thai embassy or consulate.

There is a option to apply for a 30 day special extension with a letter from your embassy.

Oz embassy dont  do suchletters

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A vaccine would like change the 2 week quarantine requiremnt. Until then, I expect it will remain.

And they have already said the Thai vaccine will not be available until late next year at the earliest.  And that is the most optimistic scenario.  Maybe they can never make a vaccine here....

It is very unlikely that other countries will allow Thailand to buy their vaccines soon since there is no covid here.  They will first donate or sell it to badly infected countries.  Thais will be the last to get it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

It is very unlikely that other countries will allow Thailand to buy their vaccines soon since there is no covid here.  They will first donate or sell it to badly infected countries.  Thais will be the last to get it.

I don't think that is the point.... Thailand does not have infections and has no urgent need of the vaccine. If other countries, by using a vaccine, get infection numbers down, Thailand may well let them in, with a test and/or vaccination proof. Anyhow, we veer off topic.

Edited by jacko45k

Just now, jacko45k said:

I don't think that is the point.... Thailand does not have infections and has no urgent need of the vaccine. If other countries, by using a vaccine, get infection numbers down, Thailand may well let them in, with a test and/or vaccination proof. Anyhow, we veer off topic.

Odd that when people exiting Thailand are tested by other countries many of them have COVID.

• Like 1