Those on the Visa amnesty

Those on the visa amnesty  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not worried myself, live in Covid free Thailand. I am pretty sure any approved vaccine will have been well tested. 

tested by whom ?  big pharma itself ?

fda/cdc does not test anything ... in USA

and taking a VACCINE in the SAFEST country in the world with less death from covid in 6 months, than 1 day of the road kills ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

and taking a VACCINE in the SAFEST country in the world with less death from covid in 6 months, than 1 day of the road kills ?

Yes, I mentioned that, with no Covid around I do not see any need for me to be a lab rat.

Road kills are irrelevant.

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

I did  contact a visa agency asking about a volunteer visa and I asked the lady what I would be volunteering for .

She said that if I obtained the 3 month volunteer visa that I would be volunteering to paint and decorate her office and apartment and to wash her car once a week and that if I obtained a one year visa, I would be volunteering to help plant the rice in her families rice fields in the village and to tarmac her driveway all at my expense.

I think I will apply for a medical visa instead 

this is a joke right ... doubting ...

yeah all those sudden volunteer visa ...I thought it had to be with an NGO (certified etc...)

5 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Just a bit of a joke really, thats why I put a smiley face , but still , we all have the choice of paying big money for a long term visa or waiting and hoping the amnesty is extended , those who pay for a long tern visa will be rather miffed if suddenly the Cabinet gave everyone an extra one year free visa amnesty .

Those who choose not to get a long term visa, mat y feel a bit envious of those with a visa, if they suddenly have to leave on September 26 th .

We all have a choice to make and it remains to be seen what the right choice will be .

I will be getting a yearly visa , reason being I cannot envisage the Cabinet giving amnesties for one year , 

Given the degree of detail announced with the latest Amnesty I believe PatrickC (above in post 98) is correct. 

I too, am of the ‘assumption’ that Immigration will not be offering any further Amnesty unless poor publicity somehow forces their hand. 

Ultimately people have enough time to sort out their Visa arrangements. Unfortunately this means some are facing the very horrible situation of being forced to go to their home countries rather than do a ‘visa bounce’. 

It also means that unfortunately some people who were relying on using the return-leg of a return ticket may be forced to purchase a separate one way ticket home. 

For those whose flight originates or ends in the the EU they can get a a refund on the portion of the ticket they have not used if the airline has cancelled their flight.

I am also wondering if the Emergency Decree banning incoming commercial passenger flights will be lifted before September 26th or even this year at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I am also wondering if the Emergency Decree banning incoming commercial passenger flights will be lifted before September 26th or even this year at all. 

That would imply abolishing quarantine, which in turn means hundreds of dead Thais. It is really unlikely.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PatrickC said:

This is the grace period, right now. There will be no further grace period.

Government says it's an amnesty extension/exemption (thanks UJ).

I'm expecting another extension/s, probably until the end of the year.

Back to the OP,

Q: what do you plan to do?

A: wait and see.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

That would imply abolishing quarantine, which in turn means hundreds of dead Thais. It is really unlikely.

Why? They can have incoming commercial flights and still require COEs to board and quarantine the arrivals.

It would  make it easier for those who qualify for COE to return as in most countries there seems to be a long backlog for space on a "repatriation"  flight.

Other countries with quarantine requirements are allowing international commercial flights.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Why? They can have incoming commercial flights and still require COEs to board and quarantine the arrivals.

It would  make it easier for those who qualify for COE to return as in most countries there seems to be a long backlog for space on a "repatriation"  flight.

Other countries with quarantine requirements are allowing international commercial flights.

Providing reliable quarantine facilities in bulk is hard. China is achieving it (apparently) but only for its own citizens. They have pretty much banned foreigners from entering, allowing only their own citizens to enter. They are tested on arrival (22 positive cases among arrivals yesterday) and quarantined. Australia (although accepting only their own citizens) attempted to do quarantine on the cheap, and have suffered the consequences in Victoria. Both China and Australia severely restrict incoming flights.

Yes, countries without a virus elimination strategy, are allowing less restrictive travel. Notably most of Europe, as well as the US, pays lip service to control of the virus, but in practice allows those from many SARS-CoV-2 endemic countries to enter without quarantine.

If Thailand were to just allow unrestricted numbers to enter, secure quarantine would be impossible. The numbers coming would be huge, with a big pent up demand. They would need to fall back on "self isolation", which even with draconian penalties for non compliance is not fully effective.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Looks like Bali has done a last minute U-turn and will allow people to apply for a visa within.surely Thailand will do the same.????????

I doubt it in the near term.

And didn't the Bali idea get put on hold?

4 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Looks like Bali has done a last minute U-turn and will allow people to apply for a visa within.surely Thailand will do the same.????????

If true, would be a u-turn of the last u-turn, from which reversed the "will open in Sept (11th?) announcement.  Looking at the Bali Sun, seems to be a new "will review" statement.

Edited by JackThompson

17 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If true, would be a u-turn of the last u-turn, from which reversed the "will open in Sept (11th?) announcement.  Looking at the Bali Sun, seems to be a new "will review" statement.

They also have officials from sometimes unrelated departments making statements without official confirmation from the government.

47 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Why unrestricted numbers? As long as COE is required to board a flight, Thailand can easily control the numbers arriving, and booking at a  quarantine facility is one of the requirements for COE.

I don't think numbers would be huge given ban on tourist visas and visa exempt entry  plus quarantine requirement. They'd be more than currently come in, of course, especially from those countries with long wait lists for repat flights, but not huge.

I really cannot see an rationale for the ban on international commercial flights unless it is connected to a desire to "help" out Thai Airways via chartered repat flights.

I am not sure that allowing international commercial flights that, in practice, arrive with three or four paying passengers (because they are all who could get COE and quarantine places) makes much difference, except that organisation of keeping arriving passengers isolated, and arranging their transportation to their quarantine hotels becomes more complicated. You would have, then, about the same number of arriving passengers, but limited ability to prioritise who can return other than by controlling who is, in principle, qualified. You could not, for instance, give priority to a Thai mother returning to her children over a foreign teacher. The sole advantage I can see for this free for all would be that airlines would be forced to compete for passengers, driving airfares down.

34 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Where is that info from? 

Bali is part of Indonesia. 

Making news in Au currently is plight of Oz folk in Bali. 

• Like 1

Yes I do know Bali is part of Indonesia but thank you ..that information is from the bali expat forum this morning.people are thanking the Indonesian goverment for letting them apply for visas from within.....im only saying what I read.

On 8/15/2020 at 5:13 PM, zzzzz said:

amnesty does not concern me as am on a extension but i cant believe that 48%

checked this option;

Wait and hope for a further extension of the amnesty

Fools???? or just wishful thinkers

a little of both perhaps. There is just no way in the world I would place myself in this position though I did have the opportunity in life to obtain a good education thus my decision making has served me well I read other posts where it was stated that people may be faced with the 'awful decision' of having to return home! lol - this ain't the land of fairytales folks, sober up.. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Pray hard that they will be kind again to give us another extension.

Like some posters mentioned everyone has their own difficulty of not able to extend their visa including me.

Trying to switch from non imm marriage to father of Thai child but was rejected. Understand the immigration regulation but somehow my personal issue has cause my present plight.

So it's either they are kind enough to permit us another amnesty or September I and my Thai child is gonna leave Thailand. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

a little of both perhaps. There is just no way in the world I would place myself in this position though I did have the opportunity in life to obtain a good education thus my decision making has served me well I read other posts where it was stated that people may be faced with the 'awful decision' of having to return home! lol - this ain't the land of fairytales folks, sober up.. 

True...but for some, their home country might be the land of nightmares. I don't blame them for preferring to stay here by any means necessary.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I am not sure that allowing international commercial flights that, in practice, arrive with three or four paying passengers (because they are all who could get COE and quarantine places) makes much difference, except that organisation of keeping arriving passengers isolated, and arranging their transportation to their quarantine hotels becomes more complicated. You would have, then, about the same number of arriving passengers, but limited ability to prioritise who can return other than by controlling who is, in principle, qualified. You could not, for instance, give priority to a Thai mother returning to her children over a foreign teacher. The sole advantage I can see for this free for all would be that airlines would be forced to compete for passengers, driving airfares down.

The advantage is that there would no longer be a long wait list for flights as is the case in some countries. And flight booking for those who either have to pay out of pocket (all foreigners) or thsoe willing to do so for expediency (better off Thais) would be much, much easier.

Cambodia - which also requires quarantine and has a ban on tourist visas - allows commercial flights in and seems able to cope with it OK.

When issuing COE, Thai Embassy could inform the airport of arrival dates, times, names etc. Really nto hard.

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

They could organise cruise ships coming from Europe .

Everyone take a test before they get on board , stay on the ship for 14 days and then arrive in Thailand and all get tested again before disembarkation ?

Never heard of the Ruby Princess then!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The advantage is that there would no longer be a long wait list for flights as is the case in some countries. And flight booking for those who either have to pay out of pocket (all foreigners) or thsoe willing to do so for expediency (better off Thais) would be much, much easier.

Current quarantine hotels are booked out. Regardless of how many flights you allow, and which countries those flights arrive from, the number of passengers you can allow to enter is limited by quarantine hotel capacity. Right now, you get a COE once you are assigned to a repatriation flight. Are you suggesting that, in the future, everyone book flights (some of which will be cancelled) and quarantine before applying for a COE? Or, are you suggesting that everyone get COEs and then fight it out for quarantine hotel reservations? You can shuffle the deck, but all you do is make it easier for some and more difficult for others.

The only way you will convince me that changes to COE and flights will make any valuable difference is if you can show there is unused capacity for Thais (in state quarantine) and foreigners (in alternate state quarantine, i.e. quarantine hotels). I see no evidence right now that this is the case. The key to allowing more arrivals is going to be safely expanding quarantine facilities, and I believe that to be difficult.

• Like 1