Those on the Visa amnesty

Those on the visa amnesty  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Starting to feel really desperate, but not because I can't return to the West, which I used to do every year before covid-19 occurred, but because I do in fact have a serious health condition, which puts me in the top 1% of people who are truly vulnerable to serious complications from covid-19, until hopefully a reliable vaccine becomes widely available.

The hot humid temperature is a big bonus for me, as I start to really suffer from temperatures under 20C.

I don't fit into any of the normal long term visa options, so please can the usual "visa nazis" take a break.

Never used an agent before, but would love to here from anyone who has used an agent in either Bangkok, Pattaya or Hua Hin who is extremely reliable to solve genuine visa issues caused by the covid-19 situation.

Last time a visa agent was highly recommended on TV, within a few days (-coincidence?) they had a visit from the BIB, with a no-perp photo op, so a private message would be a better form of recommendation.

Any humane advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, LOSel said:

Starting to feel really desperate, but not because I can't return to the West, which I used to do every year before covid-19 occurred, but because I do in fact have a serious health condition, which puts me in the top 1% of people who are truly vulnerable to serious complications from covid-19, until hopefully a reliable vaccine becomes widely available.

The hot humid temperature is a big bonus for me, as I start to really suffer from temperatures under 20C.

I don't fit into any of the normal long term visa options, so please can the usual "visa nazis" take a break.

Never used an agent before, but would love to here from anyone who has used an agent in either Bangkok, Pattaya or Hua Hin who is extremely reliable to solve genuine visa issues caused by the covid-19 situation.

Last time a visa agent was highly recommended on TV, within a few days (-coincidence?) they had a visit from the BIB, with a no-perp photo op, so a private message would be a better form of recommendation.

Volunteer or Retirement visa , 50 K for 12/15 months

4 hours ago, LOSel said:

I have raynaud's disease, which can cause this for me it's closer to 25c. The stress is just making everything much worse for me.   

Edited by ndreamer
  • Sad 2

On 8/14/2020 at 4:34 PM, Caldera said:

I've decided to go for a long-term visa, based on the following assumptions (which might or might not be correct, obviously):

Firstly, the automatic extension will end on Sep 26th and immigration will be frustrating to deal with even in case I would be able to get an embassy letter, which I consider unlikely. I'm also not keen on repeating that after 30 days.

Secondly, the coronavirus mess will drag on for quite a bit longer. At this point, I don't think nearby countries will open before the Thai "amnesty" ends. I also think Thailand will keep the situation controlled, so it's both safer and more fun to be here than in most other countries.

Finally, winter in Thailand beats winter in Europe. I want to be all set and won't risk having to depart on short notice.

This is quite a departure from my usual modus operandi for me! I actually like to travel around within the region, so having to exit Thailand every few months has never bothered me. Desperate times, desperate measures!

Currently, Sri Lanka is open. This is the best alternative to Thailand in this region at this time from information I have read. Here is a link.

https://www.officeholidays.com/coronavirus/sri-lanka

From my research, I have found this is not going to be an easy, nor cheap task. Thailand has embassies and consulates in a relatively limited amount of countries. Most are in countries that are not yet allowing visitors to enter. At one point, it looked like Nepal was going to be the best option, but now, they recently re-closed their borders.

Now, it appears that the cheapest way to do this is to go to Sri Lanka. Other optional countries close to Thailand having a Thai embassy or consulate would be Kuwait and Turkey (more expensive). Further off countries accepting arrivals from Thailand and having a Thai embassy or consulate, at this time are Germany, Switzerland, Greece and Mexico.

I can only hope that more nearby countries such as Laos and Malaysia will open before September 26, but then there is still the outrageous expense of procuring US$100,000 medical health coverage, which AXA here in Bangkok is quoting 62,000THB up front (although covid treatment in a private Thai hospital only costs around 100,000THB). And, the ridiculous quarantine in a 5-star hotel/resort requirement when returning to Thailand. That is going to cost on average around 80,000THB/15 days, if you can't get a booking in one of the cheap ones at 30,000THB/15 days.

These are just the expenses required to re-enter the country. You also have to consider the costs to travel abroad and stay for however many days it takes to arrange your visa and all the medical documents required for re-entry.

Here are some useful links that post updates regarding international border openings, travel restrictions, Thai embassies, etc.

https://www.officeholidays.com/coronavirus
https://www.journeysinternational.com/border-report-which-countries-are-open-for-travel-updated-weekly/
https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel/covid-19-guide-for-travelers-in-thailand.php
http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 7:08 PM, herfiehandbag said:

Possibly, like me and for various reasons,their options are limited.

I am on a multiple entry non O. I am still married, but separated now for 10 months. My wife has abandoned my daughter, who suffers from depression and needs psychiatric treatment and medication. I can not abandon my daughter. There is no alternative "parent" - her grandparents are in their 80s. I do not have ThB400K, and my income is less than Thb40k a month (although I have enough to live in modest comfort). The multiple entry non O issued in adjacent countries was, and remains, the only visa type for which I qualify. The authorities have always been happy to issue it to those of us who qualify.

I have not voted in this poll, I am looking for a solution; but I am neither a fool nor a wishful thinker. Nor I suspect are many others, who for a myriad of reasons, find themselves in the same position. As you cannot possibly know their reasons, perhaps you should not glibly label them as being either fools or wishful thinkers?

I'm in a similar situation. My application to extend the Non-Imm B visa I received along with my work permit during the first amnesty was rejected by immigration. They say I must leave Thailand and make a new Non-Imm B visa. Since I can't afford all the costs, involved with leaving and coming back, all at once (purchasing up to US$100,000 medical insurance coverage, paying for the 5-star hotel/resort quarantine and the travel costs involved with going to another country & returning), I decided it will be cheaper to hire a lawyer. Perhaps this may be an option for you as well.

Here is a link to a reputable law office in Thailand, which also has offices in the U.S., U.K., Australia, etc.
https://www.siam-legal.com/our-offices.php

On 8/16/2020 at 1:39 PM, Phillip9 said:

I think they will eventually change this attitude since it seems they will continue the 2 week quarantine for the next year or two or three until this pandemic is over.  No one will come here for only 30 days if they have to quarantine for 2 weeks.

Especially, when the minimum cost to quarantine is 30,000THB/15 days, even though it is in a 5 star hotel/resort.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:18 PM, Zikomat said:

End of amnesty does not mean an immediate overstay. There will be some sort of ‘grace period’ before that for sure.

I thought we were already in the grace period. That's what the Thai government is calling it. From my understanding the amnesty ended on July 31 and the government created this grace period until September 26 for people to extend long-term visas or make arrangements to leave Thailand. I would not chance staying past September 26 on an expired visa unless the government makes another extension past September 26.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TonBrow said:

I thought we were already in the grace period. That's what the Thai government is calling it. From my understanding the amnesty ended on July 31 and the government created this grace period until September 26 for people to extend long-term visas or make arrangements to leave Thailand. I would not chance staying past September 26 on an expired visa unless the government makes another extension past September 26.

Go to an agent, why a law firm?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TonBrow said:

The information disparity between different sources is definitely a big problem. I see that your source was published on 15/07/2020. The information I am referring to was published on 01/08/2020.
image.png.24b9d9a378c10d27da1e4b57f0275c34.png

UJ's link was updated yesterday , anyway , this link states that .............well, read it ???? 

https://www.destinasian.com/blog/news-briefs/sri-lanka-delays-tourism-reopening-indefinitely

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Go to an agent, why a law firm?

I just prefer the safety of a well established, reputable law firm such as Siam Legal, since agents have always had a shady reputation. Maybe things have changed a lot from the days of just giving your passport to a so-called agent to send to his friend with a fake or discontinued stamp, I don't know. Anyway, a friend of mine did contact an agent in this regard, not knowing that I had already made arrangements with a lawyer. The agent is charging 35,000 and the lawyer is charging 45,000. Only a 10,000 baht difference, but worth not having to worry about the legitimacy of the stamp.

1 hour ago, TonBrow said:

The information disparity between different sources is definitely a big problem. I see that your source was published on 15/07/2020. The information I am referring to was published on 01/08/2020.

I personally trust the IATA website more so than a commercial website. That provide most airlines the info for arrivals of flights.

The only thing on that site is the coronavirus certificate that may be what number 3 is on the IATA site.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

UJ's link was updated yesterday , anyway , this link states that .............well, read it ???? 

https://www.destinasian.com/blog/news-briefs/sri-lanka-delays-tourism-reopening-indefinitely

Thanks for the update. Again, accurate information is going to be a big problem for quite some time to come, as the situation in each country continually changes on a near daily basis.

After some research, I found out that there are still 2 relatively easy and not expensive ways to stay in Thailand.  First one is to go teaching, and the other is volunteer work for a reputable registered charity or foundation,  if they accept a volunteer they should provide necessary papers and it is possible to apply at any immigration office for 90 days visa that can be extended again for only 2 000 baht, no need to pay greedy agents 50 -60 000. The hardest task would be to find an charity ready to take us preferably without or with small fee for getting involved with their projects.

Edited by anandra
  • Like 1

The Thai consulate in Perth Australia is closed in order to get a visa for one needs to post their application to Canberra.Is it not possible to post an application to a nearby consulate like Suvanakhet etc.?Or have some visa application service in place?Seems to me there are some pretty simple solutions they could implement if they wished.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

1 hour ago, TonBrow said:

I just prefer the safety of a well established, reputable law firm such as Siam Legal, since agents have always had a shady reputation. Maybe things have changed a lot from the days of just giving your passport to a so-called agent to send to his friend with a fake or discontinued stamp, I don't know. Anyway, a friend of mine did contact an agent in this regard, not knowing that I had already made arrangements with a lawyer. The agent is charging 35,000 and the lawyer is charging 45,000. Only a 10,000 baht difference, but worth not having to worry about the legitimacy of the stamp.

Your choice of course,but for certain the same method is used in either case.Your just paying a higher fee for the stamp.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The Thai consulate in Perth Australia is closed in order to get a visa for one needs to post their application to Canberra.Is it not possible to post an application to a nearby consulate like Suvanakhet etc.?Or have some visa application service in place?

1. It has long been normal to mail your visa application to the Thai embassy in the country you are currently in. In person application at nearby consulates has been a convenient alternative for many.
  2. You are not allowed to mail your application to an embassy when you are not in that country.
  3. The Savannakhet consulate is closed for regular visa applications.
  4. I assume you are in Thailand, and would like an option that does not require a visa from outside Thailand. What you are looking for already exists in many cases. It is termed an "extension of your permission to stay".
Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, anandra said:

After some research, I found out that there are still 2 relatively easy and not expensive ways to stay in Thailand.  First one is to go teaching, and the other is volunteer work for a reputable registered charity or foundation,  if they accept a volunteer they should provide necessary papers and it is possible to apply at any immigration office for 90 days visa that can be extended again for only 2 000 baht, no need to pay greedy agents 50 -60 000. The hardest task would be to find an charity ready to take us preferably without or with small fee for getting involved with their projects.

So give it a shot and report back. I guess you a teacher if that’s an  option so why volunteer?

23 hours ago, LOSel said:

The Thai government is now pushing the medical tourism angle. If your medical condition is well documented and you have the appropriate funds, you may be able to get some sort of medical tourist visa. There are also ligitemit legal offices you can go to for assistance. There are many to choose from. I personally would not deal with an agent. Only a reputable, well-established law firm.

1 hour ago, anandra said:

I'm sure the majority of people neither want to teach or have the skills/qualification to, besides don't you need a work permit to be able to teach & don't you need a relevant visa to get that work permit?

I'm not sure many people want to do volunteer work (especially if it involves having to live miles away from their home), nor are there many legitimate volunteering positions open so to get a volunteer visa you're probably talking about paying an agent for which the asking price seems to be 45,000...

Neither option is easy & the easiest of the 2 isn't cheap... 

But if they're your only options & you don't want to leave then go for it ???? 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:
  1. It has long been normal to mail your visa application to the Thai embassy in the country you are currently in. In person application at nearby consulates has been a convenient alternative for many.
  2. You are not allowed to mail your application to an embassy when you are not in that country.
  3. The Savannakhet consulate is closed for regular visa applications.
  4. I assume you are in Thailand, and would like an option that does not require a visa from outside Thailand. What you are looking for already exists in many cases. It is termed an "extension of your permission to stay".

Refused permission to stay because visa has expired so that option is closed to me,I have the money in the bank and an embassy letter married 22 years been here for the last five years.The border closed whilst I was on my 60 day extension on my last available border run of my last Non Imm O ME visa and my local Imm office say I have to get a new visa before they will give me the one year permission to stay based on marriage.Even Bangkok 1178 number say I can get an extension but they don't stamp my passport the local office has that decision.It just occurred to me if I have a nasty accident I might be able to stay on medical grounds!

Edited by FarFlungFalang

23 hours ago, LOSel said:

I use a very reliable Agency in Sukhumvit Soi 24, but they only deal with people who meet the legitimate long term visa requirements so am not sure will be of much use to them, I have posted their details in other threads if you want to give them a call 

It does sound like your options are:-

•  Extension on the grounds of medical reasons - Don't know how expensive this would be or whether you'd qualify
  • Thailand Elite - Obviously a minimum of 500,000 & you're cutting it very fine now to get it before the 26th September, if you're thinking of going down this route I would contact them immediately for guarantees they will be able to process your application in time. 
  • Volunteer Visa - I believe this costs 45K & is still available from the agency you mentioned (apparently they were raided for some offence(s) several years ago) 

Good luck, hope they extend the amnesty/extension & you find a way to stay, if not you might want to start looking at places like Canary Islands or Turkey to spend the UK winter... 

Like many posting on this topic I have been investigating agents. I have been in contact with one firm in Pattaya - they quote B28,000, will only do a retirement extension and will require me to travel to Pattaya (I live in Chiang Rai). The outfit who claim to be the leaders in the field thought - for some unfathomable reason - that I was 80 and held a Laos passport! When I pointed out I was 62 and from the UK the.y broke off all communication!

I have had a very interesting meet with a local chap. He started by telling me that I was not the only one in this situation (talk about stating the bleeding obvious!) He resolutely stated that he would not do anything "illegal", but assured me, citing his close contacts with immigration, that if the borders do not reopen then the amnesty will probably be extended, if not for tourist visas or visa exempt, I am on an expired Savannakhet non O ME. He also said that if that option remained closed he would be able to get me a tourist visa, which could then be changed to an education visa - I am not averse to taking some Thai lessons.

He also said, that if all else fails, I could remain on overstay for up to 89 days, as long as I paid B20000 on leaving the country (but don't get caught!) He said that he would manage the overstay through his contacts, and suggested that immigration wouldn't be particularly bothered as 1) I was not in a high risk ( criminal activity) category, and 2) they would be aware that my intention was to regularise my visa situation as soon as possible. I am a bit sceptical about that idea, but anyway, it would give me until Christmas...

Interestingly, no charge until he gets me a visa.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I'm sure the majority of people neither want to teach or have the skills/qualification to, besides don't you need a work permit to be able to teach & don't you need a relevant visa to get that work permit?

I'm not sure many people want to do volunteer work (especially if it involves having to live miles away from their home), nor are there many legitimate volunteering positions open so to get a volunteer visa you're probably talking about paying an agent for which the asking price seems to be 45,000...

Neither option is easy & the easiest of the 2 isn't cheap... 

But if they're your only options & you don't want to leave then go for it ???? 

Also, if you do volunteer , its usually only for a month or so and you have to pat to volunteer by ways of accommodation and food and usually a fee as well..................and they dont provide a visa 

11 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Like many posting on this topic I have been investigating agents. I have been in contact with one firm in Pattaya - they quote B28,000, will only do a retirement extension and will require me to travel to Pattaya (I live in Chiang Rai). The outfit who claim to be the leaders in the field thought - for some unfathomable reason - that I was 80 and held a Laos passport! When I pointed out I was 62 and from the UK the.y broke off all communication!

I have had a very interesting meet with a local chap. He started by telling me that I was not the only one in this situation (talk about stating the bleeding obvious!) He resolutely stated that he would not do anything "illegal", but assured me, citing his close contacts with immigration, that if the borders do not reopen then the amnesty will probably be extended, if not for tourist visas or visa exempt, I am on an expired Savannakhet non O ME. He also said that if that option remained closed he would be able to get me a tourist visa, which could then be changed to an education visa - I am not averse to taking some Thai lessons.

He also said, that if all else fails, I could remain on overstay for up to 89 days, as long as I paid B20000 on leaving the country (but don't get caught!) He said that he would manage the overstay through his contacts, and suggested that immigration wouldn't be particularly bothered as 1) I was not in a high risk ( criminal activity) category, and 2) they would be aware that my intention was to regularise my visa situation as soon as possible. I am a bit sceptical about that idea, but anyway...

Interestingly, no charge until he gets me a visa.

Be very careful who you deal with. Personally, I would only deal with someone who actually advertises there services for all, including the Thai government to see. This way you know you are dealing with a legal company that has the authority to help with visa problems. It will cost more, but you will have peace of mind that you're not going to have a problem when you need to extend or make a new visa.