Thai Nick Names

macb

I thought it had something to do with cursing. If a person didn't know your real name, they could not curse you.

Yes Jamie, if the person that wants to curse you knows your real name that will help the evil spirits find you, if they only know your nickname your are effectively a needle in a haystack.

I thought it had something to do with cursing. If a person didn't know your real name, they could not curse you.

Yes Jamie, if the person that wants to curse you knows your real name that will help the evil spirits find you, if they only know your nickname your are effectively a needle in a haystack.

I'm lucky then.....................................how many big fat bastids are there in Thailand?

• 4 weeks later...

I was informed long ago that Thais receive nick names to confuse the spirits/ghosts. When a spirit/ghost goes looking for a person they get confused because they look for a person by their birth name and not their nick name. This then ensures a persons safety from the spirit world.

If I am wrong then please put me right as I still see this as being the true idea of having 2 names. I was also told it's a tradition that is so old that even Thais cannot remember why they do it.

Sorry for being pedantic but is your wife Christian? If she is Buddhist, how can she have a Christian name?

In England, because we have been offending people like Mr Hippo and other Ethnic Groups (In Thailand, we are the Ethnic Group!), forms use the word "Forename" althouth some use "Given name", as some people use the second name and not their first.

I hope this clarifies the point and lets us get on with the thread about Nicknames.

The fooling the "ghost that steals babies" (Is that a nickname?) is the reason for the nicknames. Another interesting one is Surnames in Thailand. Apparently, there was no such thing until the 1920s!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any info on the history reasons etc for this would be good.???

My step son is nicknamed BEER he drank beer as a kid and enjoyed it. My daughter is nicknamed Kwan, she was born in the wetseason. My son is nicknamed JAY because I like the name JAY.

I dont think I have a formal? Nickname......... I get SOM NOM NAAA quite a bit tho........

Interesting point maybe:

We all know our partners real names but most of the time they are reffered to by there Thai nicknames:

My wife is called 'Bee' but thats not her real Christian name :

You dont have to divulge your wifes real name, but do you know how she got her nickname ?

Bee Bea Nok Bun Num Ning etc etc

My real name is Nick....this confuses all Thais

Funny enough I have a Thai nick name.

The wife calls me "nah maa" from time to time.

Sounds cute dont you think?

dog face or horse face, depending on the tone...

dog face.... :o unfornately.(Not that I find horse face appealing though).

Just sounds better in Thai than in English.

Ok getting a bit off topic, but what is the history of the expression dog face? When I was going through the process of breaking up with my ex that is one of the things she called me. Although not a nice thing in english I take it the english translation tones its real and historical meaning down a bit, so in Thai it has more punch as an insult. So what does it really mean in Thai culture and why is it so bad?

PS. I get the impression it has the same level of effect as calling somone in english that word that rhymes with hunt.

My wife never received an actual nickname. Her correct name is Nuanjan and was shortened to Nuan to serve as a nickname.

It's interesting that her younger sister and her husband named their new baby Patrick. They are Buddhist. Her sister quizzed me about Saint Patrick because she liked the name Patrick. Their other son is nicknamed Coffee.

Ok getting a bit off topic, but what is the history of the expression dog face? When I was going through the process of breaking up with my ex that is one of the things she called me. Although not a nice thing in english I take it the english translation tones its real and historical meaning down a bit, so in Thai it has more punch as an insult. So what does it really mean in Thai culture and why is it so bad?

PS. I get the impression it has the same level of effect as calling somone in english that word that rhymes with hunt.

I must say that this is all in the best possible humour.....we are happy and I take it as a joke, I love her and she loves me.....Nah maa or not ...I like to think of myself as "Seng Yai". But she bursts into uncontrollable laughter when I correct her.

Tham arai?

:D

Sorry to hear that things went sour for you.

:o

No, I can assure you there is a direct equivalent that rhymes with hunt in Thai. However, it would never be said in fun, is a serious insult. Back on topic, I thought I had heard every possible shrimp, crab, etc., nickname but the best one I've heard so far is actually from a Thai couple I know and is not a nickname, but her proper name: Pepsi. I also know a cake.

Have heard some truly ridiculous nicknames that Thais have got.

Fairly strange (these are all in English, by the way, not the Thai translated equivalent):

Golf (quite common actually)

Benz

Turbo

Title

Coffee

Cream

Very strange:

Ice Cream

Football

Porsche

House

Basketball (shortened to "Bas")

Apparently there's a presenter on Thai TV called "Balloon"

But the most ridiculous of all - apparently some Thai guy named his son "Liverpool" because of his love of the English football team of the same name...!

My other half is nickname is Dau which i am told means Star?

sometimes i think it should be ATM :o

Mine is Binnsy

But i never used to wear glasses until i was 30 and could not see the doubles on the dartboard

Abit off topic this ,,,,but,,,we are expecting our second child this November and it looks as if we give the name(if hes a boy) "Rossi"...after Valentino Rossi........What do you think?

• 4 weeks later...

The Mrs was discussing babies names the other day as she would like one in the next couple of years or so.

Being patriotic for my wife, I said that if it is a boy or girl it could be called Bangkok. Short name Bang for girl or Kok for boy.

Judging by the face she pulled, it seems it wasn't a good suggestion but anyway I said there was no point in thinking of names until the Bun is in the Oven. :-)

My girlfriends nick name is Ooy= Sugarcane Not a bad one in my opinion. My luck was not as good in the nick department my real name is Troy so they decided troilet like toilet was very funny so I am known in thailand as troilet. Everytime someone has to use the toilet they leave saying they are going to say hello troilet and get a big laugh. What a great group of people I will be heading back in about a month I can't get enough of it. I guess I have the sickness. I have only been back for less than a month. Great stories on the nicks look forward to reading more. Troilet