Phuket Free of COVID and Tourists

snoop1130

Phuket Free of COVID and Tourists

hjmyuk.PNG

PHUKET, Aug 13 (TNA) – Phuket has been free of the coronavirus disease 2019 but still needs frequent tourism promotional campaigns because its tourism has not picked up, according to the mayor of Patong district.

Chalermlak Kebsap, the mayor, said that although Phuket had been free of COVID-19 cases and eased business lockdowns were attracting Thai visitors, the economy and tourism of the southern island had not recovered.

According to her, 80-90% of the economy of Patong depended on foreign tourists and consequently only 20-30% of local hotels, restaurants, entertainment places and souvenir shops have opened.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-501435

tnalogo.jpg

-- © Copyright TNA 2020-08-14

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Who even want go there if nothing is open?!

Living on Phuket I have spent 3 of the last 5 weeks at a wonderful resort in the Rawai area. Although quieter than usual most local bars and restaurants have survived and are open (indeed some never closed) as they have the support of the large expat community. Now is the best time to go as it's quiet, tourists are thin on the ground and prices are cheap.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

Wasn't it the officials purpose? They litteraly obliterated the tourist industry under the silly excuse such as COVID 19, which seems not to be that deadly.

Indeed. The number of people killed on Thai roads each week far surpasses the 58+- who have died related to Corvid-19. It is Amazing Thailand in so many ways.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

How many died in the Asian flu globally  back in the fifties? Reports say about 3 million, how many dead globally so far in the present covid?
Of course there was not the social media and internet back then, no schools or airports closed, no borders closed.

I am not saying this as fact, but supposing there were no schools, airports, borders etc, closed in this pandemic,  would so many peoples lives have been inconvenienced and so many livelihoods lost?

Isn't it worth thinking about?

H2N2 is not comparable to Covid19.   Aside from not being as  costly or deadly people did not travel as they do now. The incubation period was much less than  it is with Covid 19 and did not present the asymptomatic risk that Covid19 does. How many times do we have to explain to you that it is not the number of dead that matters, but it is the cost of care for the ill and the long term implications.

More significantly, a vaccine was developed in 4 months after Dr. Hillemann isolated the virus. The vaccine was a major factor in stopping the pandemic.  We might be able to  have a vaccine  roll out  by Q1 2020, about 1 year after the pandemic started.  Thailand cannot afford to have the   epidemic spread in Thailand.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Phuket has been free of the coronavirus disease 2019 but still needs frequent tourism promotional campaigns because its tourism has not picked up, according to the mayor of Patong district.

No sh*t !

Is this a deliberate attempt to destroy western tourism & by implication the sex industry?  Chinese don't use these services (unless very discretely). Result more lovely wealthy chinee, less single old falang, sex industry moves to less public UK / USA model.

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Almost 800,000 dead globally, with many more to come, and millions more suffering life long consequences from the virus. You really need a better source for your news.

I think his sources are fine. Maybe research away from main stream media. Try comparing with malaria or even the annual flu death figure which in my country are over 40,000 annually but now for the first tim ever are zero when C19 death with Covid (which is not the recognised method of recording as should be caused by) coincidentally is 40,000 deaths. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to see through the lies. But I suppose it's better to believe a man who has not seen a single patient in 40 years than actual doctors on the front line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

How many died in the Asian flu globally  back in the fifties? Reports say about 3 million, how many dead globally so far in the present covid?
Of course there was not the social media and internet back then, no schools or airports closed, no borders closed.

I am not saying this as fact, but supposing there were no schools, airports, borders etc, closed in this pandemic,  would so many peoples lives have been inconvenienced and so many livelihoods lost?

Isn't it worth thinking about?

You need a better source for your news also. 12k to 60k die each year from the flu. With very few having life long consequences. 

I hear ya on the economic consequences. But compare the US to New Zealand. The US screwed up. Big time. Thailand has done great and we're able to go out without worrying. The tourst segment is screwed. But not sure that's a bad thing. It was out of control here.

Don't forget. Many won't go out if the virus is raging. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scot123 said:

I think his sources are fine. Maybe research away from main stream media. Try comparing with malaria or even the annual flu death figure which in my country are over 40,000 annually but now for the first tim ever are zero when C19 death with Covid (which is not the recognised method of recording as should be caused by) coincidentally is 40,000 deaths. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to see through the lies. But I suppose it's better to believe a man who has not seen a single patient in 40 years than actual doctors on the front line.

I don't get my news from MSM.  Sad some bash one of the smartest people in the world with regards to infectious diseases. 

19 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Almost 800,000 dead globally, with many more to come, and millions more suffering life long consequences from the virus. You really need a better source for your news.

Meanwhile many more dead from other communicable diseases...so perhaps your reading of the "news" is very selective. Cheer up, COVID is not that bad, I should know, I've had it! Thailand's tourist industry suicide is a lot worse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, surfinglife said:

Meanwhile many more dead from other communicable diseases...so perhaps your reading of the "news" is very selective. Cheer up, COVID is not that bad, I should know, I've had it! Thailand's tourist industry suicide is a lot worse.

Do you consider cancer and heart disease communicable? LOL

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid-19-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-the-united-states-this-year

On 8/15/2020 at 4:20 AM, Jeffr2 said:

The millions that will suffer the long time consequences is from the Worldwide lockdown,not from the virus itself.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Yahooka said:

The millions that will suffer the long time consequences is from the Worldwide lockdown,not from the virus itself.

Millions will suffer life long consequences from the virus also. Sad some are willing to toss the sick and elderly under the bus just to be able to go to the bar.

With that being said, no easy answers. Read what's going on in New Zealand. Scary.