Non Imm O-A extension ???

Well here goes...

I am in Thailand and my Non imm OA visa issued by my embassy last year is due to expire soon.

Thought I had timed it well as I got into Thailand just under the wire (Oct 30 2019) eliminating the need for the new required insurance.

I believed I had planned well and would be set for an extension of a second year as long as I exited Thailand and returned close to my expiration date and again thought no insurance would be needed?

Then Covid hit.... So as we all know I can exit Thailand but now I can't return.

Would like to continue to utilize my Non imm OA visa as don't like the 800K requirement of the NON imm O.

Also probably won't meet the requirements for the Non imm O as not married?

The plan is to go to immigration next week to ask about my situation but would like to check here first.

So, my question here is... what are my options to get an extension on this OA .  Or do I actually have any??

Edited by StewB1
Clarification

You will require the same in bank for both O or OA visas. Think your info wrong OA requires 800k for retirement and insurance.

Only OA marriage ext does not require insurance but requires 400k in bank.

You could show overseas payments if in correct method to reduce bank balance but what a hassle.

If you got the 800k changing to O be best option if possible in current circumstances. 

Talk to your local immigration they were very helpful moving me from OA retirement ext to marriage ext to avoid insurance. 

1 hour ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

...Talk to your local immigration they were very helpful moving me from OA retirement ext to marriage ext to avoid insurance. 

The OP does not appear to be married to a Thai national.

You can get a 12 month extension but will need to arrange the bank funds. Easiest way is to get the 800k transferred over if you can, it will need to arrive in your bank here before 30th August (easily done with Transferwise). If you're from the UK or Europe it's a good time to do it, rates are close to a 12 month high against the baht. You'll also need to arrange the mandatory insurance, but prices are much lower on policies now than they were at the beginning. 

Other option is an agent. 

No need.for 800K. If you can show prove ( bank account statement or tax report) of yearly income equal 800K and send this to your embassy in BKK they will send you a visa support letter. With this letter you go to immigration together with all other copies and ask for retirement visa. Ask embassy. I did this in March 2020.

1 hour ago, Mops59 said:

No need.for 800K. If you can show prove ( bank account statement or tax report) of yearly income equal 800K and send this to your embassy in BKK they will send you a visa support letter. With this letter you go to immigration together with all other copies and ask for retirement visa. Ask embassy. I did this in March 2020.

Some Embassies no longer issue these letters, they stopped them early 2019 I believe. This included USA, UK and Australia, and I believe Denmark, who later started to issue them again with a changed format. 

There was also one or two rural Immigration offices who were not accepting any Embassy letters, but I do not know the current status of this. OP may get more detailed help if he states nationality and which region he will apply to. 

A retirement Ext on an O-A entry has an insurance requirement, which is not required for a 'O' entry. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

For clarity I should have mentioned that I prefer not leaving 800K in Thai bank.

I had my embassy approve the 800K held in Canada for my current OA.

So question remains:

1) Can I apply in Roi Et for an extension to my current OA and

2) Will I need insurance or anything else now if able to apply for an extension.

Prior to Covid I just needed to exit and re-enter and understood I received a one year extension hoping that there may be provisions now for this?

8 minutes ago, StewB1 said:

So question remains:

1) Can I apply in Roi Et for an extension to my current OA and

2) Will I need insurance or anything else now if able to apply for an extension.

Unless you can leave and re-enter the country before your OA visa expires your only choice is to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

That will  require 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 65k baht income.

If you are Canadian you can do a statutory declaration at your embassy in Bangkok to prove the 65k baht income. They ask for proof of income to do it.

You will also need proof of insurance from one of the companies of this list. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

LMG insurance offers policies with a 200k baht deductible that is a lot less costly than the others.

8 minutes ago, StewB1 said:

Prior to Covid I just needed to exit and re-enter and understood I received a one year extension hoping that there may be provisions now for this?

There are no provisions for your situation.

You would be extending an OA..so yes, you will need the insurance..but not the 'rona insurance.  As a Canadian, your national plan is worthless here, so it isn't a total waste.  An agent offered me an extension recently for 14000, with no money in the bank.  Didn't ask about insurance.  I used Pacific Cross, but different companies will be better for different people, but it you are one of the many, here, who are older than Moses; all bets are off on insurance.

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless you can leave and re-enter the country before your OA visa expires your only choice is to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

That will  require 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 65k baht income.

If you are Canadian you can do a statutory declaration at your embassy in Bangkok to prove the 65k baht income. They ask for proof of income to do it.

You will also need proof of insurance from one of the companies of this list. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

LMG insurance offers policies with a 200k baht deductible that is a lot less costly than the others.

There are no provisions for your situation.

Unfortunately leaving and re-entering is still not possible.

Well actually no problem leaving but, re-entering is the problem.