Volunteer Visa or ED Visa?

Which is the better visa to get?

Study something you don't want/need to and pay more, but have a slightly more "legitimate" visa with a little more support?

Pay less and don't have to study, but be pretty much alone and potentially have worries in the back of your mind?

How much risk is there in getting a volunteer visa?  Would leaving or applying for another visa be an issue?  What about 90 day reporting when you go this route?

Can you go from a volunteer visa or ED visa to a work permit?

Volunteer visa seems the more straight forward option, but is it the better option?

What I don't like about the volunteer visa is that I've asked several agents (in both Bangkok as well as a few other places) who can facilitate this what I thought were perfectly reasonable questions, and none of them could or would give me a straight answer. It's pretty much a pay cash, don't ask too many silly questions and pray for the best kind of deal.

I don't like that your passport goes on a little trip for a few weeks and will then miraculously come back with stamps from an immigration office you've never attended to. Everything else I could probably live with if I had to.

An ED visa is cheap and more secure.  Just study Thai.  It is very useful especially the reading and writing.

Or you can go to university and get a degree if you don't mind the embarrassment of being the older than the teacher.

You cannot get a work-permit on an ED Visa.  You should have one with a Volunteer Visa.  The main problem I see, is if not in any way affiliated with an NGO or similar, would be difficult to explain oneself on a Volunteer Visa. 

There are setups in CM which actually involve doing some charity-work - "chiang mai buddy" has more on this - advertised at 35K/yr - but you are supposed to "go out" for the visa - not sure how that works now, or how it works in other areas, unless you are actually working for an NGO, Foundation, etc full-time, or similar.

19 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

You cannot get a work-permit on an ED Visa.

Sorry, that should have been change to a work visa (Non-B).

19 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The main problem I see, is if not in any way affiliated with an NGO or similar, would be difficult to explain oneself on a Volunteer Visa.

When do you anticipate having to explain yourself?

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

How much risk is there in getting a volunteer visa?  Would leaving or applying for another visa be an issue?  What about 90 day reporting when you go this route?

I love these type of posts. I very sympathize with folk on ME marriage etc.

You sound like you entered tourist visa or visa exempt. Hope imm reading all the scams re volunteer, Ed, etc.

You clearly would not have marriage/family options.

Go home!

Having said that I hope amnesty extended.

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

... Hope imm reading all the scams re volunteer, Ed, etc.

They profit from the scams they created for the purpose - no news for them here. 

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Go home!

Where is that?  For many of us, other options in SE Asia are currently covid-closed.  He might meet me in Turkey, though.

58 minutes ago, johnray said:

An ED visa is cheap and more secure.  Just study Thai.  It is very useful especially the reading and writing.

Or you can go to university and get a degree if you don't mind the embarrassment of being the older than the teacher.

A short term one year ED visa won't allow you to go to Thailand. I believe only a degree would allow.

53 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Hope imm reading all the scams re volunteer, Ed, etc.

Yea, I guess immigrations do not know about EDs or Volunteers

Look what you can do, print some bits of this forum and bring them to the nearest immigration. ????

Keep us updated!

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I love these type of posts. I very sympathize with folk on ME marriage etc.

You sound like you entered tourist visa or visa exempt. Hope imm reading all the scams re volunteer, Ed, etc.

You clearly would not have marriage/family options.

Go home!

Having said that I hope amnesty extended.

Immigration seem to prefer people paying the big money through agencies .

Those just paying 1900 Baht per year dont seem to be too popular with the visa stamping guys  

13 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Study something you don't want/need to and pay more, but have a slightly more "legitimate" visa

An Ed visa, if you are attending class at an approved school, is completely legitimate.

A volunteer Visa, if you are not actually volunteering, is completely illegitimate.

15 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Sorry, that should have been change to a work visa (Non-B).

When do you anticipate having to explain yourself?

Education visas are for those who are engaging in some form of study - university, language, martial arts etc. 

Volunteer visas are for those who are here to engage in voluntary work of some kind.

Neither are cheap / easy to get alternatives for someone to pick and choose as they don't like or qualify for other visas. 

Maybe you should consider that.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Education visas are for those who are engaging in some form of study - university, language, martial arts etc. 

Volunteer visas are for those who are here to engage in voluntary work of some kind.

Neither are cheap / easy to get alternatives for someone to pick and choose as they don't like or qualify for other visas. 

Maybe you should consider that.

Not sure who you could alert about this "way it should be" idea.  I wish it reflected reality.  Here is something to consider:

As is now, Immigration "sell" extensions and 90-day 'change of visa type' stamps for cash-bribes, laundered through their agent/lawyer-partners.  It has been this way for years.  Whether the applications are "legit" or not is not a concern at all for many services - you Pay Them Off, or No Service.  

For some services, you can get service for 1900 Baht, if you match certain conditions unrelated to your extension-request (varies by office).  For others, "list price" is not an option.

Quite frankly, It makes me very cross when I read such 'stories' about ED and/or volunteer visas. It makes the like of people who actually wish to study here, or do real volunteer work, very difficult. It's no wonder the immigration authorities are getting stricter all the time. "Stories" about bogus students or volunteers actually make this necessary.

43 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

Quite frankly, It makes me very cross when I read such 'stories' about ED and/or volunteer visas. It makes the like of people who actually wish to study here, or do real volunteer work, very difficult. It's no wonder the immigration authorities are getting stricter all the time. "Stories" about bogus students or volunteers actually make this necessary.

Sometimes, it is immigration making life difficult for those applying for extensions that drives people to agents. That is very evident at the current time. Leaving aside an emotional "they are abusing the system", give me a logical reason why Thailand should not provide an easy solution for most who want to avoid leaving Thailand under current circumstances? Particularly as their irrational approach does nothing to stop people who really want to stay from using agents to do so.

3 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

I hear where you are coming from, and do wish we had an honest system here -  but Immigration are not being more-strict because of "abuse," they make up 'new requirements' which are ONLY required of honest-applicants, specifically to deny the "good guys,"  in order to force them to their agent-partners. 

If there were ever a 'real' crackdown to stop 'dishonest' visa/extension applications, the first thing to go would be agent 'fixers' - not adding more hoops to keep honest-applicants from applying honestly.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:31 PM, JackThompson said:

You cannot get a work-permit on an ED Visa.  You should have one with a Volunteer Visa.  The main problem I see, is if not in any way affiliated with an NGO or similar, would be difficult to explain oneself on a Volunteer Visa. 

There are setups in CM which actually involve doing some charity-work - "chiang mai buddy" has more on this - advertised at 35K/yr - but you are supposed to "go out" for the visa - not sure how that works now, or how it works in other areas, unless you are actually working for an NGO, Foundation, etc full-time, or similar.

In fact, with purely a volunteer visa, labor will not give you a work permit, because you do not need a work permit for volunteer work (that was changed in 2019, if I remember correctly). One can start working right away. However, Immigration will still require a work permit for extending the volunteer visa beyond the initial 90 days. 

On 8/15/2020 at 10:29 PM, Ziesche said:

In fact, with purely a volunteer visa, labor will not give you a work permit, because you do not need a work permit for volunteer work (that was changed in 2019, if I remember correctly). One can start working right away. However, Immigration will still require a work permit for extending the volunteer visa beyond the initial 90 days. 

On that note...if an agent is soliciting(for a large sum of money) a one-year volunteer visa which stipulates "no work permit required",  is it a red flag that maybe the visa won't be valid after day 90?
I'm trying to sort out whether I could run into trouble with it after 3 months, even though I pay for a year.

On 8/15/2020 at 5:34 PM, BritTim said:

give me a logical reason why Thailand should not provide an easy solution for most who want to avoid leaving Thailand under current circumstances?

Because it isn't all about what they want. Thailand chooses who can and who cannot remain.

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Because it isn't all about what they want. Thailand chooses who can and who cannot remain.

Obviously, we all know it's Thailand who chooses. The question asked by @BritTim was ' for what logical reason' would they(Thailand) choose not to provide an easy solution for those who do not want to depart under the current circumstances(virus).

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2020 at 6:53 PM, BangkokReady said:

Which is the better visa to get?

Study something you don't want/need to and pay more, but have a slightly more "legitimate" visa with a little more support?

Pay less and don't have to study, but be pretty much alone and potentially have worries in the back of your mind?

Can you go from a volunteer visa or ED visa to a work permit?

Volunteer visa seems the more straight forward option, but is it the better option?

Have you found the reply ?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1193105-volunteer-visa-vs-thai-wife-extension-visa-both-priced-40000-around-pattaya-which-one-would-you-choose/

• 3 months later...

I currently have a one year non o volunteer visa and I'm over 50 so I asked about changing to a one year retirement visa. The agents in Chiang Mai where I live said go to khon kaen immigration where you got the volunteer visa ( Chiang Mai doesn't do those ) and Khon Kaen said go to chiang Mai because that is where you live. ????

5 hours ago, Patcan said:

I currently have a one year non o volunteer visa and I'm over 50 so I asked about changing to a one year retirement visa. The agents in Chiang Mai where I live said go to khon kaen immigration where you got the volunteer visa ( Chiang Mai doesn't do those ) and Khon Kaen said go to chiang Mai because that is where you live. ????

Since you had your stamps for non o (volunteering) issue at KK you would have used an agent. Do you intend to use agent again? 

Not being picky, but you don't have a visa. You have an extension of stay based on volunteering. Prior to its expiry you wish to obtain a 12 month extension based on retirement. You would either use an agent or obtain yourself at immigration where you live. I assume that your aware of the financial requirements if you do the process yourself (recommended) otherwise you should be discussing with agent. Where was previous agent based.

I would rather do the process myself. I meet all the requirements so the cost is 1900baht.  I've lived in CM over 4 years now and only did the volunteer visa in KK ( through an agent ) because they don't do volunteer visas in CM. But I was told, CM immigration won't process my volunteer visa into an extension based on retirement. My previous agent is based in BKK ( thai visa center ).

15 minutes ago, Patcan said:

But I was told, CM immigration won't process my volunteer visa into an extension based on retirement. My previous agent is based in BKK

Did agent suggest what you should do? Meaning give some options. Where did you do your 90 day reports for previous 12 months

Archived