Change marriage visa to retirement visa?

Random question? Could you change your extension of stay based on marriage to a retirement visa without leaving the country during this lock down? I understand you need 800,000 thai baht in bank account but does it need in for two months as well? Any other new requirements that would be needed to complete this step if it could be done?

Thank you 

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

you will need money in your account for 2 months on day of applying, and the new extension will start on the day you apply, not when the marriage extension expires...

At what immigration office was this?

13 hours ago, playboy said:

How many days require to apply for retirement visa of the current visa?  I just have my 60 days visa which will start on 27 Sept. so it will expire on 25 Nov 2020 so when I can apply for retirement visa?

30 days before your extension expires is normal. But you need the money in the account 2 months prior to the application. 

Easy, I done it. As above, copies of all pages of your passport, map of where you are staying. Copy and original of contract or condo ownership. 90 day report up to date, recent picture of you. Fee, Letter from Juristic is helpful if in condo. Allow 14 days before your marriage visa is up to apply. Money has to be in Bank 2 months b4 date of application. As said you will lose any days between expiry of marriage and start date of retirement. Bobs your uncle. You will find the whole process much more simplified than marriage visa. They put you through hell if you marry or have a child with a Thai. If you got money look at the Elite Visa as that saves a whole lot of trouble. Good luck.

15 hours ago, raptorea said:

Could you change your extension of stay based on marriage to a retirement visa without leaving the country during this lock down?

When I first came here, I applied for the marriage extension but they talked me into the retirement extension, so the following year I changed it back to the Marriage extension, which is what I wanted in the first place.

When you look at things now during this pandemic, they are not allowing retirees back in yet, they are however allowing those on marriage extensions back in, if I have read the articles correctly, suffice to say I have always maintained that if you are married, you should get the marriage extension as it has more weight, some may disagree, each to their own.

Your question was answered at #2 by Joe, but I thought I would throw in my two bobs worth, suffice to say if your not getting a divorce, you may want to reconsider staying on the marriage extension.

1 minute ago, vivananahuahin said:

Don't forget also the mandatory health insurance for OA 

That requirement would only apply in the OP's case if he started off with a non-OA visa. It strikes me as more likely, though, that he started off with a non-O visa - in which case he could safely switch from marriage to retirement for future annual extensions without having to subscribe to one of these "wondrous" TGIA-sanctioned health insurance policies.

However, if he did, in fact, start off with a non-OA visa he would IMHO be far better off sticking to marriage extensions (rather than make any switch to retirement) for this very reason.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

When you look at things now during this pandemic, they are not allowing retirees back in yet, they are however allowing those on marriage extensions back in, if I have read the articles correctly, suffice to say I have always maintained that if you are married, you should get the marriage extension as it has more weight, some may disagree, each to their own.

Totally agree, I think foreign spouses will always be treated more favourably than normal retirees. That is why I will get the marriage extension even though it is a bit more hassle. I haven't ruled out an Elite Visa, but my wife probably will as she will see that as lost money.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

When you look at things now during this pandemic, they are not allowing retirees back in yet, they are however allowing those on marriage extensions back in,

If married to a Thai it can be any visa or extension of stay other than a tourist visa.

A person with a Elite visa married to a Thai has already been able to return for example.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Totally agree, I think foreign spouses will always be treated more favourably than normal retirees. That is why I will get the marriage extension even though it is a bit more hassle. I haven't ruled out an Elite Visa, but my wife probably will as she will see that as lost money.

The way I see it is if you are organised, you can scan and save your docs 90% of what is required, the other 10% is what the wife organises while I press the print button twice (two copies) for immigration, it's not that hard to go to the bank to get your letter, the Amphur for an updated marriage certification and a withdrawal slip from the ATM the next day providing you with an updated balance, can't think of anything else apart from photos and passport, really simple, oh and the bank book pages photocopied since the last time on top of what you are already giving them from previous years.

As for the Elite visa well for those that aren't married, if immigration is a hassle ok. but an agent would cost even cheaper, what 18k-20k a year, so what's that 100k for 5 years, Elite, not for me, EVER ????

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If married to a Thai it can be any visa or extension of stay other than a tourist visa.

A person with a Elite visa married to a Thai has already been able to return for example.

Thanks Joe, my point was more so for those on an Elite visa not married to a Thai cannot return, please correct me if I am wrong.

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks Joe, my point was more so for those on an Elite visa not married to a Thai cannot return, please correct me if I am wrong.

Those on Thai Elite visas can now get a certificate of entry to enter the country. That was recently approved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

As for the Elite visa well for those that aren't married, if immigration is a hassle ok. but an agent would cost even cheaper, what 18k-20k a year, so what's that 100k for 5 years, Elite, not for me, EVER 

Yes, I may well use an agent to make the process simpler. I will see. I was going to make the move permanently this year, but I suspect I'll work in the UK for up to another 12 months, with some visits over that period COVID-permitting.

19 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes, I may well use an agent to make the process simpler. I will see. I was going to make the move permanently this year, but I suspect I'll work in the UK for up to another 12 months, with some visits over that period COVID-permitting.

Up to you, everything is simple once you learn the process, I didn't like any of it at first, but you can get a PDF list of what is required from people here on TVF who have been through it and it makes it so much simpler, if you have time, I would try it once, if you don't like it, then go for an agent, the first one is usually the hardest, then it's a piece of cake.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

Not so Elite then, so to speak, I mean I would have thought the Elite's should have been the ones to be granted access first, but looks like the marriage extension ome by a nose in this situation ????

I shall be making the switch to retirement in 3 weeks time, have first checked with my IO that it's feasible. I'm doing it simply to keep the paperwork down, which has become more odious since the demise of the embassy income letters.

Last year it took around 50 sheets just to prove my income and that was X 2 of course! This year, with a better management plan,  it's down to 18 and of course there's only 1 copy required.

I do agree with earlier comments that when married to a Thai, one is looked upon more favourably. I don't think it matters much whether you do marriage or retirement. Retirement is, of course, easier for them as well as us.

We've certainly never been 'put through hell' as some stupid poster commented earlier.