Latest Win10 update took out my bluetooth !

johnnybgood

This may be of interest .......

Yesterday I installed the latest updates for win 10.

I then found bluetooth was switched off.

The on /off switch had disappeared from  the bluetooth settings page

The bluetooth logo had also disappeared from the notifications box. 

It had also disappeared from device manager - so no way to check the drivers.

After a waste of time troubleshooting (with windows hahaha)  I ended up uninstalling the updates.

Back to normal now  *sigh*

Annotation.jpg

Using Win 10 Pro on both of my main windows computers I set it to delay / disable updates for quite some time, making sure they iron out a lot of the bugs before I install it.

Then I do the laptop first. If all goes well with the laptop I'll go ahead and do the desktop at my leisure.

I know someone who had bluetooth and other issues after the upgrade and like you he ended up reverting it. In fact for some reason he needed completely reinstalling it, not sure why but the update caused all sorts of problems.

Edited by ukrules

@OP, same here.

Completely gone, zip, zap, nothing. When I run a diagnostic on BT, W10 indicates my PC is not compatible with BT. Very frustrating. I sent a report to MS, but I highly doubt that will get anywhere. Doing a Google search it appears we are among many. 

Please post if you find a solution, I'll do same. 

There is a special updated driver from microsoft availble in optional updates .Microsoft is aware of the problem.

A bluetooth driver was availble on my optional updates togheter with a intel system driver (which i dont have problem for ).

I had minor BT. Problem ....shaking moving curser...after installing that driver it worked normal again.

On my hybrid tablet/laptop 2004 makes better performance as before , but cortana does only awake by clicking the cortana mike symbol....not resonding voice awakening......but on my Asus  all works normal with Cortana after the 2004 update .

Seems different laptops hardware different results with this 2004 update.

2020-08-15_062741.png

Edited by david555

1 minute ago, bignbad said:

It took out my wifi on Dell laptop. but the latest 'fix' seems to have sorted it.

How can they deliver software not tested!!!!! MS T*ss*rs

I think WE are the testers for them ????...as we are the best ....with all those different laptop brands & different software programs .

So we complain and complain ...and they read it and make solutions ...????

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

@johnnybgood What version of Windows 10 are you running? Did you install 2004 already or are you still on 1909? When you say "latest updates", did you see any feature related to bluetooth in the list of available updates?

Windows 10 Home  Version 1903 Sorry, can't help I didn't check the update file details.

Luckily, as in the past a rollback fixed it. 
All these OS and apps...so busy. 
I'm thinking who's updating who?

image.png.a0db9fba4b3f6162f0f8fe123c78142c.png

1 hour ago, johnnybgood said:

Windows 10 Home  Version 1903 Sorry, can't help I didn't check the update file details.

Luckily, as in the past a rollback fixed it. 
All these OS and apps...so busy. 
I'm thinking who's updating who?

image.png.a0db9fba4b3f6162f0f8fe123c78142c.png

Roll back is still availble ...but as still some who use Win 7 and try to keep using Win 7 ....many updates from then and now are missed ... so no surprise some things go wrong ..

About the problem with BT. they are aware , hence they put a driver update in "optional updates" to fix eventuall for those who need it

But "optional updates "must be clicked ON in the update settings...and so many users try blocking updates so that those also do not show.

And finally giving bad results .

Also now by using "assisted updating " to force the 2004 update instead of when passive update can go ...( meaning when Windows find your pc is ready for it) can give problems .

I installed very simple and free app  Stopupdates10 / my Bitdefender software tried to stop it because it does not like executive files for good reasons so I had to allow an "exception" / it absolutely safe / however if you need to download from Microsoft Play store you need to stop this app for a while but it is just a matter of one click to unable or enable it

• Haha 1

Since most of the Bluetooth drivers are Intel related, I would suggest installing and running the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

This will typically clear up any Intel driver related issues. Personally, I hate Bluetooth. I use it but I think even after all these years it is a half-baked protocol. Many times it will drop off and you have to turn it off and back on. Headsets need to have pairing repeated as they drop off for some unknown reason. Bluetooth Smartwatch connections disappear and reappear. Five Bluetooth versions later and it still sucks.

13 hours ago, Silurian said:

Since most of the Bluetooth drivers are Intel related, I would suggest installing and running the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

This will typically clear up any Intel driver related issues. Personally, I hate Bluetooth. I use it but I think even after all these years it is a half-baked protocol. Many times it will drop off and you have to turn it off and back on. Headsets need to have pairing repeated as they drop off for some unknown reason. Bluetooth Smartwatch connections disappear and reappear. Five Bluetooth versions later and it still sucks.

Hi, do you have a Chuwi tablet ? As i saw same poster name on that forum .

Any way this update improved the boot speed from my Chuwi UbookPro m3 8gb. The minor BT  problem was fixes with the BT driver who M$t delivered with ...the Intel driver i did not needed they also put in the update for those who could face problem. Now only the voice awakening word for Cortana only works after opening  by the mic.icon on that screen.

Both my new Chuwi and the old Asus working faster now, but i follow all the M$t updates and after limiting Win 10 indiscretions informing habit with O&O program ...

But when big update as now i let this O&O prog. put Win 10 again in original state for the update moment , untill after done.

Edited by david555

Have Chuwi tablet. No problem with latest update.

But these Win10 updates can indeed cause problems.

The previous update made my HP desk computer mute, not recognizing any sort of plugged-in speakers/headphone.

Had to do a Restore to before update to regain sound.

I'll have to try the present update! but fear getting the same problem.  ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Hi, do you have a Chuwi tablet ? As i saw same poster name on that forum .

Yes, that is me on the Chuwi forum. 

I agree that the 2004 Windows 10 update does improve performance on the Chuwi tablet.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Silurian said:

Yes, that is me on the Chuwi forum. 

I agree that the 2004 Windows 10 update does improve performance on the Chuwi tablet.

I guess the very few minor little things from the Chinese builder  are rectified by this update.

BTW price drop on Aliexpress for 15 days for aerobook plus 15 inch 8gb...seems also better speakers now ....price tag around 525 Usd. now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david555 said:

I guess the very few minor little things from the Chinese builder  are rectified by this update.

BTW price drop on Aliexpress for 15 days for aerobook plus 15 inch 8gb...seems also better speakers now ....price tag around 525 Usd. now

I was hoping that Chuwi would come out with a 16G version of one of their laptops. It would also be nice to have a 1TB SSD as well. I need a power laptop for Excel. 8 Gb of RAM just doesn't cut it for the larger, more complex Excel spreadsheets.

I am still hunting for a decently priced 16GB/1TB SSD Windows laptop. Most of them are priced 50K Baht or higher.

2 hours ago, Silurian said:

I was hoping that Chuwi would come out with a 16G version of one of their laptops. It would also be nice to have a 1TB SSD as well. I need a power laptop for Excel. 8 Gb of RAM just doesn't cut it for the larger, more complex Excel spreadsheets.

I am still hunting for a decently priced 16GB/1TB SSD Windows laptop. Most of them are priced 50K Baht or higher.

The 16 gb was optional available in the pre assembly period at Indiegogo , also higher ssd , was quick filled up ., now no ore available , same for the Aerobook plus as rolling from the factory now for sale .

The 16gb version was around the 25K baht mark 

I m just a normally user , no need to work with , my old Asus only 4gb , the Chuwi 8 gb, even my 500 gb asus hd only for 1 third loaded , so my 256 gb enough on Chuwi tablet

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

I reinstalled BT drivers, and did a restart a few days ago, with no luck. The W10 BT diagnostic says my computer is not compatible with BT, and or I need to install an external BT, which is crazy because I have or had one until a Friday or so. 

Like magic this morning, my BT appeared out of thin air, with no update. I can only imagine the drivers didn't take after the restart for whatever reason. 

On 8/21/2020 at 10:50 PM, Hamus Yaigh said:

I notice my BT now occasionally turns off since the update from 1909 to 2004. Maybe once every two days. Never happened before. Need to reboot to get it back.

Install the BT. Updated driver ; under optional updates ,seems known issue by Microsoft latest update.

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

Install the BT. Updated driver ; under optional updates ,seems known issue by Microsoft latest update.

Thanks, yes did that and so far so good. Normally I let Win10 take care all the updates but with this 2004 release I have had to manually update Intel drivers and BT drivers.

Edited by Hamus Yaigh

49 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Thanks, yes did that and so far so good. Normally I let Win10 take care all the updates but with this 2004 release I have had to manually update Intel drivers and BT drivers.

Intel driver was indeed to availble ...with notice " only  if meeting problems "