Prayut gives initial nod to 5G technology

Prayut gives initial nod to 5G technology

By The Nation

800_591b771123ce868.jpg

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha chairs the meeting of the 5G steering panel on Friday.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Friday (August 14) endorsed in principle measures to promote 5G wireless broadband technology, deputy government spokesperson Ratchada Thanadirek said.

The approval came during the meeting of the national 5G steering panel that is chaired by the premier.

The measures include promoting the sharing of 5G infrastructure among telecom operators, termination of rules deemed to be an obstruction to the adoption of 5G technology and tax incentives for the rollout of the fibre optic network.

The meeting also approved pilot 5G projects.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30392980

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-15

Good to hear he's all for rolling out 5G, like it's some magical future thing. 

I have a 5G phone and am getting 5G service here in Hua Hin right now.  I stood right under the tower in the night market and got 800 mb/sec download speed!  Sitting in my condo about 500m away I still get 250 mb/sec, which is 5X the highest speed I can get out of 3BB DSL, they won't sell me fiber service.  As soon as I can get a 5G->Wifi dongle I'll mount it on my balcony and drop 3BB.

• Thanks 1

I just got it today. I don't know if it is really 5G but the Huawei router has 2.4G service for when you are using and standing pretty far away.....the other is 5G service for use in the house. I haven't seen any differences with 4G except maybe it is a bit quicker. 

I don't think I would have changed as my use on the computer is limited but I my last service provider really was hopeless. I have just come of having a 10 day spell with no service except using my phone as a hot spot. The outages with the previous provider were unacceptable long, frequent and there was zero response from the service crew....just twaddle about the network being maintained etc.

20 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I just got it today. I don't know if it is really 5G but the Huawei router has 2.4G service for when you are using and standing pretty far away.....the other is 5G service for use in the house. I haven't seen any differences with 4G except maybe it is a bit quicker. 

I don't think I would have changed as my use on the computer is limited but I my last service provider really was hopeless. I have just come of having a 10 day spell with no service except using my phone as a hot spot. The outages with the previous provider were unacceptable long, frequent and there was zero response from the service crew....just twaddle about the network being maintained etc.

The 5G is the 5th generation of cellular network, not the 5 ghz band broadcast on your home router wifi network.

• Like 2

BitChute is a video hosting service known for accommodating far-right individuals and conspiracy theorists The platform was created in 2017 to allow video uploaders to avoid content rules enforced on YouTube, and some creators who have been banned from YouTube or had their channels barred from receiving advertising revenue ("demonetized") have migrated to BitChute. The Southern Poverty Law Center has said the site hosts "hate-fueled material".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, userabcd said:

The 5G is the 5th generation of cellular network, not the 5 ghz band broadcast on your home router wifi network.

Based on similar errant posts made here in the past, it's amazing how many forum members don't know or understand the difference between those two entirely different and unrelated things.  :whistling:

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 11:31 AM, american2 said:

The rollout will solidify Thailands move to China and (China's) policies.  Now the Chinese will control communications and ddata along with the water flow of the Mae Kong.

do a Youtube search on "Why Tibet is so important to China"  and China's 5 G Data Mining.

Where is China mentioned in this article? The 5G services are provided by the telco companies, not the government. Dtac is a subsidiary of Telenor, AIS is 42% owned by Temasek.

Good to see 5G coming, but the 5G handsets are still tad expensive IMO.

4 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Where is China mentioned in this article? The 5G services are provided by the telco companies, not the government. Dtac is a subsidiary of Telenor, AIS is 42% owned by Temasek.

I didn't see that it was... But what do you wanna bet... the 5G equipment providers that the Thai telcos will end up buying from, either on their own or thru the Thai government, will be the Chinese ones that are being banned by western countries because of questions about their lack of independence from the Chinese govt.

On 8/15/2020 at 4:12 PM, mwbrown said:

Good to hear he's all for rolling out 5G, like it's some magical future thing. 

I have a 5G phone and am getting 5G service here in Hua Hin right now.  I stood right under the tower in the night market and got 800 mb/sec download speed!  Sitting in my condo about 500m away I still get 250 mb/sec, which is 5X the highest speed I can get out of 3BB DSL, they won't sell me fiber service.  As soon as I can get a 5G->Wifi dongle I'll mount it on my balcony and drop 3BB.

Excellent speed, but the data packages in Thailand are probably the most expensive in SEA.  Fibre usually comes with unlimited data volume, hard to beat that.

12 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I believe that the reference is to the  dominance of China in the 5G technology (in the region).

For reference sake, it is reported that;

China's Huawei has the largest declared 5G portfolio, followed by the South Korean companies Samsung and LG and the Finnish company Nokia. Qualcomm and Intel are the largest US companies holding declared 5G patents; Sharp and NTT DOCOMO are the largest Japanese ones 

Personally, I would prefer anything other than China as I am confident that  the Finns and South Koreans would not be spying on me or  sabotage my local 5G network in the event of a political dispute. Even the US companies are subject to enforced privacy laws.

It doesn't matter who the  telecom is if they are dependent upon a third party technology.

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I didn't see that it was... But what do you wanna bet... the 5G equipment providers that the Thai telcos will end up buying from, either on their own or thru the Thai government, will be the Chinese ones that are being banned by western countries because of questions about their lack of independence from the Chinese govt.

There has been an earlier news topic that Huawei will be the provider of the equipment

9 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Excellent speed, but the data packages in Thailand are probably the most expensive in SEA

Since there are no prices of the data packages available, as far as I'm aware, I presume you base that on the data package prices for 4G.

If so, if I by occasion go back to my civilized country in Europe, I almost faint when I see what my friends pay for their mobile connections. And when I take a temporary sim, which cost me 5 times what the same would cost in Thailand, I experience a lot of no coverage zones in the middle of cities

2 hours ago, Susco said:

There has been an earlier news topic that Huawei will be the provider of the equipment

Since there are no prices of the data packages available, as far as I'm aware, I presume you base that on the data package prices for 4G.

If so, if I by occasion go back to my civilized country in Europe, I almost faint when I see what my friends pay for their mobile connections. And when I take a temporary sim, which cost me 5 times what the same would cost in Thailand, I experience a lot of no coverage zones in the middle of cities

You are right about Europe, but in the region the data packages for 4G in countries like Vietnam or Indonesia are way cheaper than Thailand.

Not to mention India where one can buy 1.5Gb/day 365 days package for less then $100 AUD, 2000 baht.

On 8/16/2020 at 9:16 PM, gearbox said:

Who do you think is going to supply the hardware?