Expats in Thailand turning to the Elite Card to avoid visa hassles - Bloomberg

rooster59

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Mine took seven hours last year and was extremely frustrating.

never in almost 20 years have I had to spend more than 2 hours in the IO office (and that was my fault in bad paperwork preparation) though I can only speak to Krabi and HH immigration. I actually have had less scrutiny over my application in the last 5 years - though the wife deserves some credit with having her side of it done to perfection..

47 minutes ago, laughfingmyassoff said:

I'm 41, retired and living in Thailand. Elite visa is a no brainer for me. Comes out to less than 7k baht a month, way cheaper than marrying a girl that would talk me into buying a house on her name.

That's all and good, 41 is young to be married.

I know a few expats who have married, didn't buy there wives a house, in fact most live in their wives house with the odd one renting.

Me on the other hand, built my wife the house, purchased a new car in her name and calculate the monthly outlay to be a little over double and a half of what you outlay per month for your Elite visa, and I am very happy for her to have something in her name, albeit it has cost me about 10k baht more than what your Elite visa costs you per month. I also only invest as much as I am prepared to lose, besides I have gotten to live in her house, and drive her car and had her take very good care of me, even though I don't require her to, she wants to, it's called love, I also have a signed prenuptial agreement back in the old country which protects my assets which are invested there, each to their own????

• Like 2

Retirement extension is now an hour tops ar the new Kalasin office for me.

90 day reports take minutes online.

When travelling back and forth to Thailand, I pay for the VIP option of being met off the plane, fast track clearance at immigration and a limousine from Swampy to Don Muang.

That's my Elite visa!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 9:50 AM, Pottinger said:

Elite holders still cannot return, so not that elite after all. TIT.

They can if they meet the requirements and get granted permission from the Thai Embassy in their country....U TiT

lol.....

Edited by stretch5163
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

The very same reasons I usually, (but not always by any means), fly economy class. When I weigh up the price of a ticket and then think ' I can buy my son new doors and windows for his house, for the sake of 15 hours travelling  ' or similar types of purchases,things like that, are a no brainer to me.

I remember the days (years ago)  when I was building a few houses .  One to live in and the others for

rentals.   There were times when i had the "itch" to go out for some company.   Sometimes the decision was not so easy :   should i go see Wan ........... or should i save the money for a truck full of rock that

are used when mixing concrete.     hmmmm       

Edited by rumak

15 minutes ago, NB1986 said:

Yes ofcourse everyone wants go and pay 10s of thousands of euros to the country where in few months there will shot you over a bag of rice no thanks covide free or not i feel safer in my own country. 

That's a weird post I assume you have never been here 

Here's a challenge for you, ask me Google how many farang were killed by thais last year. Let us know 

16 hours ago, NB1986 said:

Yes ofcourse everyone wants go and pay 10s of thousands of euros to the country where in few months there will shot you over a bag of rice no thanks covide free or not i feel safer in my own country. 

Thais aren't likely to do that until it gets to armageddon levels - ie. famine due to drought or such ( Still not getting water from city every day and now it's middle of August, next year will be extra dry if this continues ) . They have a culture of sharing the agony. Thanks to the usurpers they've lately had a lot of practise in it.