Study finds 82% of Thais “confident” in reopening tourism sector

rooster59

On 8/15/2020 at 12:25 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

I think that there is a lot of truth in the above statement; Thailand IS a favoured international destination and I personally know many 'Snow Birds", people who 'winter' here, who want to come back  again in November/December for several months.

However, if they have to go through state-mandated quarantine in Bangkok hotels, it ain't gonna happen. And, if it doesn't happen in November/December, Thailand will lose the entire high season and a huge portion of its tourism industry, permanently.

he simple fact is that if Thailand wants to rescue its rapidly dying tourism business and thus its entire economy,T it will have to open things a bit more to residents and 'long-stayers' as well as shifting to a policy of self-isolation on arrival, monitored by local health volunteers, and combined with other effective public health measures.

Thailand CAN manage a high season of residents and 'long'stayers', IF, repeat IF, the government climbs down from a Zero-Tolerance policy to a Managed-Tolerance policy and explains it to the public.

Will it happen? Tune in over the next few weeks...

"he simple fact is that if Thailand wants to rescue its rapidly dying tourism business and thus its entire economy", - I've heard and read figures that it accounts for perhaps 11 -15%, 100% is highly exaggerated imo. Your 'managed tolerance policy' has been an abject failure in so many countries now Thailand would have to be stupid to follow suit. Fortunately the Thais have been paying attention to what's happening in other countries helping them avoid the nightmare that living elsewhere has become. Keep it going Thailand, it's painful but not as painful as the crematoriums firing up 24/7..