Political protests in BKK tomorrow, 16 August??

moontang

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Sunday, August 16, 2020 at Democracy Monument, Ratchadamnoen Avenue, in Bangkok between 15:00 - 21:00 according to recent alert message.

Thanks, last time I went to KSR, I had to take a taxi home, because the busses weren't going by Democracy Monument.  Their rally dragged on until midnight.  I won't use the term "big" like the media, and in fact the ones I have seen have been quite small, but this one may be a bit more coordinated.  They were out at Nonthaburi Pier last night..interrupted my casual drinking and my random meetings with a nice lady I met over there.  When the bullhorn appears; I disappear (only to a different place).

Edited by moontang

7 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Yes in BKK tomorrow and activist arrested. I think these could be the real deal with the general economic situation around the world and especially in Thailand.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/15/thailand-protests-police-arrest-student-activist-for-sedition

Telling the universities to control their students will likely increase attendance (at the protests).  As far as the global economy, look at the US housing and stock markets..red hot.  But yes, if you have never saved money, and work in a closed service job, you have troubles.  Everyone is a victim...sheesh.

Last nights protests were the most uninspired, funeral like gathering I have seen since my last visit to Sukhumvit.  At least encourage drinking, and have a few attractive ladies in your group..a little BBQ for sale never hurts, either.  I recall them selling drinks in front of a temple anniversary..and the whole thing was respectable and suitable for families..more likely to happen in Pyongyang, nowadays it seems.

Edited by moontang

16 minutes ago, moontang said:

Last nights protests were the most uninspired, funeral like gathering I have seen since my last visit to Sukhumvit.  At least encourage drinking, and have a few attractive ladies in your group..a little BBQ for sale never hurts, either.  I recall them selling drinks in front of a temple anniversary..and the whole thing was respectable and suitable for families..more likely to happen in Pyongyang, nowadays it seems.

I saw a student protest just after the last coup in 2014 outside Terminal 21 in BKK, managed to get a quick selfie when the army turned up and blocked the entrances to the mall and BTS. It was a pretty tame protest, the same 3 finger gesture mainly.

4 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

You either support the regime or know nothing about Thailand.

I agree, after living here for 10 years+, I know nothing, or almost nothing, about Thailand, layers of the onion and all that. You're a Hobbes supporter, I would guess.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/amnesty-thailand-calls-for-immediate-release-of-protest-leader-penquin/

Amnesty International (AI) Thailand has called on the Thai police to release student protest leader Prit “Penquin” [sic] Chivarak immediately, after he was arrested on Friday on charges of inciting public unrest.

AI Thailand Director Ms. Niyanut Kotesarn said, in a statement issued on Friday, that the arrest of the Thammasat University student amounts to suppression of free expression and contravenes the Constitution.

She also demanded that all the charges against Prit, and two other activists under arrest, be dropped.

6 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

It would be nice enough if the mainstream TV channels gave coverage if the protest does turn out to be big. They could literally be shooting people in the streets and Thai TV will be playing soap operas as if nothing is happening. That's the sad truth.

If you control the media, you control the narrative. These movements are driven by social media, not the mainstream outlets. It was the same with the BLM, social media driven protests and spread worldwide.

Your protest image above I've seen similar with antifa and BLM in the UK, standard protest kit and advice 555. I'm glad the Thais are picking up on the art of protest.

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 1