Political protests in BKK tomorrow, 16 August??

moontang

24 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

They've had a chance to learn a lot by watching how others around the world resist. Another one from #แท็กเพื่อนไปม็อบ  on Protest preparation

Prepare 2.jpeg

Dark clothing as not easily recognized, goggles in case pepper spray, mobile number on arm in case arrested, no ID on you, no WiFi as they can check your phone and pin you to a location. Standard protest procedure that comes from the BLM protests and Hong Kong.

• Like 1

The anger runs deep. I was talking to a college student the other day who likes to practice English conversation with me. I generally avoid political discussions with Thais to save getting into uncomfortable territory.

But Europe came up and I asked her what she thought of travel there. She said she hated Germany because of their Nazi past and had no intention of ever visiting. But how about sister countries, the rest of Europe, which I thought Thais were generally fond of? She said she hated all of Europe equally. All those countries are the same. They like to leech of their colonies. She said she didn't particularly like Trump but was happy he showed up Europe.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 1

Good luck to the protesters and all good people of Thailand. There has been too much  suppression of truth over the decades.  Why are the ordinary people of Thailand not as well off as in countries like Korea, Japan or Taiwan?  The elites have robbed them blind that's why. 

The wild cards are the military conscripts and former PM Thaksin. If either or both get behind this who knows what could happen. Remember the bulk of police are faithful Thaksin followers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pegman said:

The wild cards are the military conscripts and former PM Thaksin. If either or both get behind this who knows what could happen. Remember the bulk of police are faithful Thaksin followers. 

Exactly, the wild cards, are they going to go against the people, probably not. All societies are fragile underneath, people need to pick their sides, the people or the establishment. This year will be very interesting, economic climate is ripe for change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots going on about this protest today at the protest and outside with political leaders from Future Forward making comments earlier. This is in Thai.

People really worry about violence but they young need to see and end to the lack of free speech and democracy.

• Like 1

It was huge. Foreign press reporting 25,000 in attendance. Couple of live/recorded FB feeds (translated) if you look. Speakers discussed everything. Which was unbelievable. As one guy interviewed said he couldn't have dreamed of this even a year ago.

Let's see where this all goes. Their demands are simple and clear. But no way I see Prayut submitting meekly.