Do i need to get my visa first or register for repatriation flight?

Okay completely confused. This whole process is crazy.

Do i need to get my visa first (which i assumed i would need to) or do i register for a repatriation flight first?

I am completely confused, because i am going through the process of completing the visa form (as someone who is eligible to return). So i assumed the order was as follows :

1) Get visa

2) Register for repatriation flight

3) Once you get offer for repatriation flight go through the COE process

But someone has now thrown a spanner in the works and told me to go register for a flight first, before i even start with the visa.

Also, they only issue you a visa for 3 months, so what if you can't get on a flight in that time frame?

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THE ORDER !!!!  The Thai embassy reply to me this week took the urine - telling me to phone them, when they have never a answered a single call for 2 months !

Edited by Greghuntleyuk

Applying for the visa and certificate of entry are done at the same time as far as I know.

Since the visa allows you to enter the country with it for 3 months I am certain you would get on a flight before then.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Applying for the visa and certificate of entry are done at the same time as far as I know.

Since the visa allows you to enter the country with it for 3 months I am certain you would get on a flight before then.

Certificate of Residency? Do you mean Certificate of Entry?

Don't tell me there's another certificate i am not aware about, lol

I Just went the through the online application process (Los Angeles) and I cannot advance to obtain my COE until I submit a commercial flight. I found a one-way flight for $419.00 for October. So I am not happy about having to spend that extra money just to advance in the process, knowing I will have to fight with the airline later to get that money back. Why are they requiring this? Also, I did not complete the online application because I didn't want to book the flight yet... now when I go back to the online application it says not to complete the application again or it may slow down the process but to use the "EDIT LINK" anyone had any experience with the EDIT LINK? I don't see that link now when I go back in. I did not complete the last page of uploads, because I didn't have a flight booked yet and I didn't submit the application so maybe that is why? 

Edited by Tounge Thaied

23 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I cannot advance to obtain my COE until I submit a commercial flight.

Sorry that is just wrong? If you need a flight use the ihanatours its listed on the embassy. They gave out a list of repatriation flights. Ihanatour gives you confirmation letter for the embassy and you don't have to pay upfront. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Wars said:

Sorry that is just wrong? If you need a flight use the ihanatours its listed on the embassy. They gave out a list of repatriation flights. Ihanatour gives you confirmation letter for the embassy and you don't have to pay upfront. 

Ok. I found it. That is certainly helpful it appears, I have not tried to book on the site yet so we shall see. They really should put this information embedded at the start of the application... It is incompetence like this that gets us all frustrated and confused... https://ihanatour.com/thai

Edited by Tounge Thaied
Spelling errors

5 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Ok. I found it. That is certainly helpful it appears, I have not tried to book on the site yet so we shall see. They really should put this information embedded at the start of the application... It is incompetence like this that gets us all frustrated and confused... https://ihanatour.com/thai

Yeah they have a FAQ https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/23/faq-for-non-thais-wishing-to-enter-thailand-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

lots of info. Nothing commercial is flying in so don't waste your money on that. You gonna be busy calling up the ASQ's to find matching dates for the flights. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tounge Thaied said:

The reason why they don't give that info out is because you need to submit your application first.

Only after they check it for compliance they get back to you and tell to book the ASQ room and flights via provided in that response designated agencies and email links.

Edited by unheard

1 hour ago, unheard said:

The reason why they don't give that info out is because you need to submit your application first.

Only after they check it for compliance they get back to you and tell to book the ASQ room and flights via provided in that response designated agencies and email links.

Which is why I made my original comment. To submit the application, I have to purchase a commercial flight before the application will submit. A flight that we all know will not be used... why are they requiring that?

Edited by Tounge Thaied

Greg,

about 1 week ago before the message that all flights in August were full, there was a clear message on the Thai embassy website stating that “Visa, and COE” would be dealt with once a repatriation flight has been secured and paid for, only then would a Visa and COE be issued. 
Just as confused as you 

Edited by jasonr3255
Info

10 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Which is why I made my original comment. To submit the application, I have to purchase a commercial flight before the application will submit. A flight that we all know will not be used... why are they requiring that?

This was exactly the problem I experienced.  So I tried just creating a PDF note saying I would book my flight as soon as they set up flights for my intended departure timeframe of early Sep.  I uploaded that and then I could submit the COE application.  The LA consulate then responded that my application couldn't proceed without a flight booking.  I also asked all the approved airline booking agents if they could issue me some form of confirmation for a Sep. flight - NOPE.

They essentially make it nearly impossible if you want to fly early in the following month as they don't release the flight schedule until the last week of the current month.  Since it takes a few days to process the COE then the ASQ hotels are full by the time you can get a flight.

Edited by gamb00ler

The UK Thai embassy has different requirements to that of those in the USA, from my understanding from the UK Thai Embassy there is no need to book ASQ or phantom flights that do not exist, requirements are to register for the repatriation flight first going forward ! 

On 8/15/2020 at 8:25 PM, stubuzz said:

I talked to the Thai Embassy UK about this and they said i could submit for a Non B first.

BOI have approved my application so in theory i can now apply for a non-IB and jump through the hoops to get on a flight.  So that's what i'm about to embark on. Departing from UK.

Have just being reading the Royal Thai Embassy London website to understand the sequence.

Their website's general Visa page says "It is advised that visa application should not be submitted until applicants have been notified by the Embassy that their requests for the Certificate of Entry have been approved."  And if you click a link to apply in person/by post you then get the message "Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, foreigners wishing to go to Thailand have to apply for the Certificate of Entry".  When I follow the link provided taking you to requirements for COE, I see for my situation (and it seems for others too), it says if you don't have a visa then apply for it and the COE at the same time.  So I will start the online application now - as it says covid Health Insurance and hotel booking for ASQ + declaration cannot be uploaded but are provided in hard copies when you submit your passport.

Hopefully there is nothing that trips me up with the online visa application.

For the repatriation flight registration, the site requires personal details etc. Each of which have an asterisk next to them.  The field where you upload your ASQ doesn't.  Usually on a form, it says somewhere that asterisked fields are compulsory.  Has anybody tried to register without uploading a booking?

4 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

This was exactly the problem I experienced.  So I tried just creating a PDF note saying I would book my flight as soon as they set up flights for my intended departure timeframe of early Sep.  I uploaded that and then I could submit the COE application.  The LA consulate then responded that my application couldn't proceed without a flight booking.

That works as intended.

They can not proceed on issuing the COE until they receive the flight booking info.

15 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

It is what it is.

You have to submit the application without the flight booking for them to proceed.

No flight booking is necessary.

Edited by unheard

2 hours ago, jasonr3255 said:

The UK Thai embassy has different requirements to that of those in the USA, from my understanding from the UK Thai Embassy there is no need to book ASQ or phantom flights that do not exist, requirements are to register for the repatriation flight first going forward ! 

It's not required in the U.S. either.

1 hour ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Ahh... ok. I will submit the application then without the flight booking. What happens next?

They'll check your info for compliance and if satisfied will get back to you with the following message:

1. Book the repatriation flight (links provided)

2. Book an ASQ room for the date of arrival

You will then update your application with the valid booking info.

If the bookings check out as valid they'll tell you to send in your passport and will issue a COE.

Edited by unheard

3 hours ago, unheard said:

It is what it is.

You have to submit the application without the flight booking for them to proceed.

No flight booking is necessary.

They would NOT allow me to submit without something for a flight booking.  The web page won't allow it.  How did you get past that restriction?

To get past the web page refusal, I made my own document that didn't actually contain any flight information.  My COE application was then suspended because I didn't have flight booking.  I've posted this result before, but nobody seems to notice the issue.

Edited by gamb00ler

56 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

They would NOT allow me to submit without something for a flight booking.  The web page won't allow it.  How did you get past that restriction?

To get past the web page refusal, I made my own document that didn't actually contain any flight information.  My COE application was then suspended because I didn't have flight booking.  I've posted this result before, but nobody seems to notice the issue.

I've seen many who simply booked a commercial flight to get through the process... I was surprised to see unheard was able to submit the app without it. Many accounts of booking the commercial flight then fighting to get your money back when you don't take the commercial flight. Why the hell are they making us do it like this? Buy a ticket you will not use... are they just trying to support the flight companies? Some real stupidity or corruption going on here it seems. 

Edited by Tounge Thaied
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jasonr3255 said:

Greg,

about 1 week ago before the message that all flights in August were full, there was a clear message on the Thai embassy website stating that “Visa, and COE” would be dealt with once a repatriation flight has been secured and paid for, only then would a Visa and COE be issued. 
Just as confused as you 

What the hell. 

Why am i messing around on a visa form then? This is stressing me out so much.

What's worst is they don't answer the phone, and give conflicting advice on replies to emails. 

43 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

So question again - do i register for flight, or work on getting my visa?

Also how do i register for CoE flights, when it's a party of 4? TWO ADULTS, TWO CHILDREN?

The only people that can answer your questions is the Thai embassy where you are applying.

Most have a list of available repatriation flights that you can reserve after starting the certificate of entry application process.

For the visas you normally can apply for them and when everything is done they issue the visas.

2 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I've seen many who simply booked a commercial flight to get through the process... I was surprised to see unheard was able to submit the app without it. Many accounts of booking the commercial flight then fighting to get your money back when you don't take the commercial flight. Why the hell are they making us do it like this? Buy a ticket you will not use... are they just trying to support the flight companies? Some real stupidity or corruption going on here it seems. 

The flight booking is not required on the initial application.

When you get to the required field where they ask you to enter the flight information just attach a word document saying the flight  booking is pending.

Then submit the application.

1 hour ago, AndrewMciver said:

So question again - do i register for flight, or work on getting my visa?

Also how do i register for CoE flights, when it's a party of 4? TWO ADULTS, TWO CHILDREN?

First you submit the initial application.

Don't book anything until your application has been processed only after they'll get back to you and tell to proceed with bookings, at least in the U.S.

Edited by unheard

3 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Suspended?

Could you please elaborate?

What did they tell you?

Edited by unheard

26 minutes ago, unheard said:

The flight booking is not required on the initial application.

When you get to the required field where they ask you to enter the flight information just attach a word document saying the flight  booking is pending.

Then submit the application.

OK. I going to give your recommendation a shot in just a few more days from now... I'm not quite ready. We shall see if I get suspended as gamb00ler has.