BANGKOK
Motoko

Gender dysphoria support online

I'm feeling down, and I want help. In Thai terms, I am kathooey, but I'm British. Where can I get help for dysphoria online. That is needless to say, without gay flags in my face, that is what I'm trying to get away from. Is there anywhere I can get unbiased help?

• Like 1

Maybe better to phone a UK helpline? use Skype it's about 1p a minute

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Motoko said:

I'm feeling down, and I want help. In Thai terms, I am kathooey, but I'm British. Where can I get help for dysphoria online. That is needless to say, without gay flags in my face, that is what I'm trying to get away from. Is there anywhere I can get unbiased help?

Come and do some hard work with me at my land for a month,  you'll  soon forget about that.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, bodga said:

Come and do some hard work with me at my land for a month,  you'll  soon forget about that.

I should like that, whoever you are. What should really help, is normality for a change.

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe better to phone a UK helpline? use Skype it's about 1p a minute

I'd rather not: in the UK, I found they shove agendas of one kind or another. I remember being told I should be part of a gay community. But when in Thailand and Peru, I never met such attitudes. Being stranded in the UK is what is doing my head in. Overpriced everything, unpleasant culture, and general values dissonance. Given I spent time in Thailand, I was hoping for a Thai psychiatrist. I did find help in Peru, when I was trying to find work there.

Edited by Motoko

Online support groups are not a Thai "thing".

there are a number of Western based online groups, some of the best reportedly are:

https://translifeline.org/

https://support.therapytribe.com/lgbt-support-group/

If you are young (under 25) then also https://www.thetrevorproject.org/

I would not necessarily assume that the agendas you encountered before are universal; give these a try.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is a problem I am talking about: I am not LGBT. I also asked for a neutral psychiatrist (doctor) who will help online, not a support group connected to gays, thanks. I don't believe there are no psychiatrists active, who are neutral, given how easy it was to get referrals for surgery.

Edited by Motoko

What is wrong with getting support from a group that is 'connected to gays'? 

If such a group can offer support and help it can only be of benefit. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

What is wrong with getting support from a group that is 'connected to gays'? 

If such a group can offer support and help it can only be of benefit. 

If you must know its nasty, personal experiences. Like many people, I try to live and let live, but its hard with others speaking on my behalf. LGBT politics is why I can't find any help I can trust. No, nothing to do with gays, only doctors, thank you.

Edited by Motoko
  • Confused 1

It's very unlikely to find what you looking for. Maybe not impossible but even if you find one Thai psychiatrist you can't really expect the same open talk like you may know from the western culture. It isn't like that here because of their culture. I don't mean it negativ it is what it is. That's unfortunately true for every mental health problems in Thailand.. it's difficult. That's where "friends" comes into place in Thailand to talk about such kind of things. But they have the samaritas https://forum.thaivisa.com/announcement/36-are-you-in-thailand-and-feeling-low-need-someone-to-talk-to-help-is-at-hand/ 

8 hours ago, bodga said:

You really are person who appears to lack compassion and any understanding regarding gender and sexuality.

Same heteronormative tripe dribbles from your fingers each post on gender.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, bestie said:

It's very unlikely to find what you looking for. Maybe not impossible but even if you find one Thai psychiatrist you can't really expect the same open talk like you may know from the western culture. It isn't like that here because of their culture. I don't mean it negativ it is what it is. That's unfortunately true for every mental health problems in Thailand.. it's difficult. That's where "friends" comes into place in Thailand to talk about such kind of things. But they have the samaritas https://forum.thaivisa.com/announcement/36-are-you-in-thailand-and-feeling-low-need-someone-to-talk-to-help-is-at-hand/ 

Thanks. But where do kathooey go to in Thailand, seeing as they need referrals to surgery? Presumably some will speak English.

Edited by Motoko

3 minutes ago, Motoko said:

Thanks. But where do kathooey go to in Thailand, seeing as they need referrals to surgery? Presumably some will speak English.

I don't know but maybe you should be more realistic when it comes to Thailand. At first which Thai psychiatrist can speak English so well that he will hang on a phone and will understand you with a western perspective ? And second I'm sure if you go to a hospital in Thailand with the right amount of money the doctor will fill out the documents or you have a short chat? Please correct me if I'm wrong. It isn't so complicated here to change your gender, I think you know that, but that doesn't mean that they will understand you. Maybe many people think Thailand is so friendly and open because of so many Katoeys but in reality there are very conservative. I would say don't look for a psychiatrist in Thailand because I think you will waste your time. But nothing is impossible. I hope you will get better soon . All the best

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bestie said:

I don't know but maybe you should be more realistic when it comes to Thailand. At first which Thai psychiatrist can speak English so well that he will hang on a phone and will understand you with a western perspective ? And second I'm sure if you go to a hospital in Thailand with the right amount of money the doctor will fill out the documents or you have a short chat? Please correct me if I'm wrong. It isn't so complicated here to change your gender, I think you know that, but that doesn't mean that they will understand you. Maybe many people think Thailand is so friendly and open because of so many Katoeys but in reality there are very conservative. I would say don't look for a psychiatrist in Thailand because I think you will waste your time. But nothing is impossible. I hope you will get better soon . All the best

That is he appeal after my experiences, thanks. And thank you.

But I would still like a psych to contact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motoko said:

There are certainly psychiatrists in Thailand who deal with TG/gender dysphoria. But they do not operate online support groups and from your post I understand you to not be in Thailand at present?

I would add that most of these psychiatrists just provide legally mandated signature for surgery rather than in depth psychological support.

• Like 1