End of visa amnesty may spell uncertainty for some expats in Thailand

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Could you highlight the 'Non-O' mentions in your quoted texts for me.

I appear to be too old to find them (probably a senior moment on my part).

This is the closest thing I could find that might include us if we are considered to be under an exemption.

"and aliens permitted to stay under an exemption of visa of all types must leave the Kingdom within 26 September 2020,"

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Could you highlight the 'Non-O' mentions in your quoted texts for me.

I appear to be too old to find them (probably a senior moment on my part).

After re reading it is seems to be about the 'Non-O'

That was EG approved from Vietnam  with the 90 day leave the country

Maybe they are clamping down on these Visa

Maybe some else could clarify

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

This is the closest thing I could find that might include us if we are considered to be under an exemption.

"and aliens permitted to stay under an exemption of visa of all types must leave the Kingdom within 26 September 2020,"

My Non-O VISA is valid until April 2021.

It's only my permission to stay that's questionable, my VISA is completely valid.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

In the event the foreigner has already used the initial 60 day extension to visit their wife and cannot qualify for the one year extension, immigration may allow special dispensation to give more than one extension per entry.

Has anyone reported success in being granted this special dispensation?

4 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

I don't think anybody has tried it yet since most people are not aware it is possible under number 5 of the police order.

The immigration bureau could make order that it is allowed under that case in the police order.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

In the event the foreigner has already used the initial 60 day extension to visit their wife and cannot qualify for the one year extension, immigration may allow special dispensation to give more than one extension per entry.

"may allow special dispensation" suggests it's discretionary and they "may" not allow special dispensation which seems to be the easier option for some to take.There is also the "competent official" syndrome as they don't want to appear "incompetent" and have to ask superiors for clarification which presents the minefield of trying to persuade the "competent official" to do just that which introduces the "difficult customer" syndrome which just seems to block any chance of a successful application.My local Imm officer is convinced I only get one extension per visit.

I intend to go in tomorrow to seek "special dispensation" armed with my "embassy letter" and associated tale of woe is me!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, trucking said:

I'd like to see a survey of how many people still have a joker up their sleeves with the 60 day extension

to visit wife. How many have already used it vs those who still have the option.

I am currently under a visa-exempt amnesty having failed to secure a Non-O multi in Savanakhet just before the borders closed last March.

In late July and just after the Immigration department prematurely announced the amnesty would end on 1 August, I dropped by Udon Immigration and asked if I could get a 60-day extension (married with kids). They said I could.

With an option (at that time) for me to leave for regional work and return to Thailand within that 60-day period, I asked if I could get a re-entry permit on that 60-day extension so that I would have a valid 'visa' in my passport when I applied for permission to re-enter Thailand. They said I could.

They further advised that I should apply for the extension and re-entry permit as close to me departure date as possible. I had already sussed out as being most efficient but was pleased that the IO also picked up on that.

As it stands, work option has slipped but I would plan on getting the extension and re-entry just before the new departure date and take my chances on the 'outside'. I have just about had about enough of being hostage to the coronavirus.

PS: Mrs NL has also just about had enough of having me hanging around the house now that all the honey-do's have been done and the rainy season has started!

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, trucking said:

I'd like to see a survey of how many people still have a joker up their sleeves with the 60 day extension

to visit wife. How many have already used it vs those who still have the option.

I still have it, so guaranteed at least to Nov 25 or whatever.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

PS: Mrs NL has also just about had enough of having me hanging around the house now that all the honey-do's have been done and the rainy season has started!

Mrs FFF has an inexhaustible supply of honey do's and even ten people helping doesn't even dent the list. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

I still have it, so guaranteed at least to Nov 25 or whatever.

Dito. I am preparing to do the 1 year extension with cash transfers as well but this is more difficult and depends on how friendly your local immigration office is. Need to go to mine for a ' chat ' before committing myself to either course. The only other option is to get 400,000 in the bank for 2 months seasoning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trucking said:

Dito. I am preparing to do the 1 year extension with cash transfers as well but this is more difficult and depends on how friendly your local immigration office is. Need to go to mine for a ' chat ' before committing myself to either course. The only other option is to get 400,000 in the bank for 2 months seasoning.

Yes, I am 50 also married and have had 400k in the bank for a good while now, so not short of options but can't be asked to even give this a second thought just yet.

• Like 1