Tv audio

lelapin

I have problems hearing some dialogue when watching movies etc. on my LG plasma TV. How can I check if I can use headphones with this TV and does anyone have any recommendations as to which type I should consider. I have set my TV Clear Voice to Level 6 which helps a little.

Go into the manual and check if the TV has bluetooth capabilities. If not you have a problem.

But if you use it for stuff like netflix you might be able to buy a android box that has blue tooth and then you can use the blue tooth (and buy a blue tooth headset) from the box.

So first find out if your TV has native blue tooth. 

1 hour ago, lelapin said:

How can I check if I can use headphones with this TV and does anyone have any recommendations as to which type I should consider

Robblok provided a fast simple solution. Hopefully your TV has Bluetooth and you can then find and purchase a set of Bluetooth wireless headphones that work for you.

The other option he mentioned is to tap off from your set-top-box (or whatever device you're using to feed the TV with signal. 

Do you know the exact model number of the LG Plasma TV -and- what device (set top box or computer) you're using to play the video?  If so, we can look up the capabilities online and give you more definitive information.

Unfortunately many films have problems with audio and the actors mumbling their words making the dialogue hard to understand or hear.

What is the model of your tv and what type of headphones do you have?

The connection possibilities are:

3.5mm female output on the back of the tv to 3.5mm male on the headphone cable.

Bluetooth as a previous poster stated but you will need bt in the tv to transmit sound and bt receiver headphones. It depends on your tv model and if bt sound is integrated in the firmware.

An external bluetooth transmitter plugged into the 3.5mm port on the tv to connect to bt headphones.

Or get an external soundbar or a pair of decent bookshelf speakers.

Edited by userabcd

Look that your TV has a plug for headphones. Not all have. If it has buy a long audio cable and some earphones. Have been using this for years and my ears are still great. But everything is easier to understand and you can switch as loud as you want without having complaints from neighbors. My 

TV has Bluetooth but I don't want to charge the earphones all the time.

if bluetooth is not an option and there is no output on the TV, something like this HDMI splitter is an option

Hdmi Audio Splitter 4k Hdmi เครื่องดูดเสียงวิดีโอและ Optical Toslink Spdif  | Shopee Thailand

it splits video and audio but then it would likely only go to headphones (or if you are lucky, to all devices)..

but then if you want sound on TV might have to remove it.. but it might auto switch

Edited by kekalot
words

My solution is subtitles.

When I began to have trouble with dialog some years ago, a hearing test showed that my hearing was perfect. The doctor explained that some people, such as myself, slowly lose their ability to separate sounds (a brain issue), which causes us to be unable to separate the dialog from the background noise. Standard hearing aids do not help, since they are simply amplifiers. Bandpass hearing aids can help some, but if the background noise is in-band, then they do not help at all.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

I have a LG plasma TV which has an Android box and a Dell laptop linked to it.

On the TV, I watch UK television via VPN and downloaded movies and TV series via my laptop and various things via my android box.

Although I check each time, most of my downloads do not have subtitles available and I do not know how to get them for my UK television programs.

I am old and quite unwell so unfortunately the TV is becoming an increasingly important part of my life.

My TV is a LG Plasma 50PN4500

And I think my android box is a Tanix TX9 pro

I hope this provides the info some of you have requested.

LG Plasma 50PN5400 Smart TV > support website

Unfortunately, the LG Plasma Smart TV's only audio out is via an "Optical/Digital Audio Out jack" [*Audio with ACP (Audio Copy Protection) function may block digital audio output], which isn't guaranteed to be usable if HDCP or ACP is enabled on the playback content.

Apparently you CAN connect an LG Soundbar, but this might not help with a discrete hearing issue.

No Bluetooth, no RCA Stereo and no 3.5mm Audio Out Jack. This is unfortunate as the TV would have been the best place to tap audio universal audio received from all externally connected devices.

The alternate is to get the audio from each device separately. 

Tanix TX9 – Amlogic S912 – Android 7.1 > support website

TANIX TX9 PRO KODI 17.3 3GB/32GB TV BOX Android 7.1.2 > Geekbuying Website specs

Blutooth:    BT4.1

Bluetooth audio is definitely available here to pair with Bluetooth wireless earphones/headphones   ...and if you chose to -play- all your streamed or PC downloaded content via the Tanix set top box it would work as your universal audio connection.

7 hours ago, lelapin said:

Although I check each time, most of my downloads do not have subtitles available and I do not know how to get them for my UK television programs.

As timendres says, better equitment may not help you, and then subtitles is the solution.

Where do you check for subtitles? If on the download site, you may instead find them at subtitle sites like:

https://subscene.com/

http://www.addic7ed.com/

https://www.opensubtitles.org/

8 hours ago, RichCor said:

LG Plasma 50PN5400 Smart TV > support website

Unfortunately, the LG Plasma Smart TV's only audio out is via an "Optical/Digital Audio Out jack" [*Audio with ACP (Audio Copy Protection) function may block digital audio output], which isn't guaranteed to be usable if HDCP or ACP is enabled on the playback content.

Apparently you CAN connect an LG Soundbar, but this might not help with a discrete hearing issue.

No Bluetooth, no RCA Stereo and no 3.5mm Audio Out Jack. This is unfortunate as the TV would have been the best place to tap audio universal audio received from all externally connected devices.

The alternate is to get the audio from each device separately. 

Tanix TX9 – Amlogic S912 – Android 7.1 > support website

TANIX TX9 PRO KODI 17.3 3GB/32GB TV BOX Android 7.1.2 > Geekbuying Website specs

Blutooth:    BT4.1

Bluetooth audio is definitely available here to pair with Bluetooth wireless earphones/headphones   ...and if you chose to -play- all your streamed or PC downloaded content via the Tanix set top box it would work as your universal audio connection.

It is a LG Plasma 50PN4500 not a LG Plasma 50PN5400 Smart TV. Don't know if that makes a difference

1 hour ago, lelapin said:

It is a LG Plasma 50PN4500 not a LG Plasma 50PN5400 Smart TV. Don't know if that makes a difference

As a previous poster stated your tv has only optical out and there may be some restrictions on converting the digital lg output from that.

Your tanix tv box has bluetooth integrated so you could get some bluetooth headphones and then listen to sound transmitted via bt from your tanix box to the bt headphones.

The other solution is to use the ugreen hdmi/audio splitter adapter in post number 8. You install that hdmi/audio splitter adapter from your tanix box to the tv hdmi port and then you can use an aux 3.5mm headphone jack to listen to the sound from your tanix box or you can still also use the BT from the tanix box.

Sound transmitted over bluetooth lets you listen to sound without all the cable mess and restrictions on moving around.

The subtitles solution is also good. When viewing movies and tv series (from netflix) I need the subtitles to fully get what the mumbling actors are saying. I have no such trouble listening to sound and dialogue from direct ota news and normal tv program broadcasts out of the tv speakers.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

apparently that Tanix TX9 has regular headphones output from this review.

"On the back we find the other ports, an audio jack (say SPDIF but is a regular jack)" (picture below)

my Xiaomi box has the same combo jack

image.png.be7a4598bb7af9b72eb66caba615e513.png

try if it works and if it works you can always get some wired headphones and then a long extension if you sit far from your box

otherwise, Bluetooth works on that box as well and likely on the laptop too

if no Bluetooth on laptop by itself you can buy one of those cheap Bluetooth adapter for like 200 baht on Shopee/Lazada or maybe a bit more

image.png.1fab191b4a3c60ed6fe2d49cbb9c30ac.png

personally I not a big fan of Bluetooth as some devices introduce delays.. so I would likely end up with some wired headphone with a 2-3+ meter extension connected directly to laptop or android box

4 hours ago, lelapin said:

The highlighted link goes to the correct LG Australia support webpage for your 50PN4500. Sorry, I transposed 45 to 54 when typing the text label.   

And you're also correct that you have the 50'' (127cm) HD Plasma TV, not a Smart TV  ...some entries in the support website 'help library' incorrectly includes help on WiFi and Apps setup. 

https://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-50PN4500-plasma-tv  (specs)

http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fileId=KROWM000460640.pdf (manual)

The only audio out on the TV is via the Digital optical audio connection (Transmits a digital audio signal from the TV to an external device).  

Sound is output through the speaker connected to the optical port. ✎ SimpLink is supported. Connect LG audio device with the logo to the optical digital audio output
port. LG audio device allows you to enjoy rich powerful sound easily.

Using this sound-out port wouldn't be simple or practical (unless you already possessed an Digital optical audio connection capable external amplifier).