Moving data from old iphone to new one. What about google authenticator?

bbabythai

I have an apple iphone 7. For some reason when someone calls me I cannot hear them. The speaker button is disabled as well. 

Ive watched many youtube videos about this and done all the suggested things. Ive even re-set the phone settings. Nothing works. Apple shop says I should try a restore but then I lose everything. 

Its an old phone and time to buy a new one. If I do upgrade the guy at the shop says he can transfer my data over. 

The biggest question is..... what about google authenticator? Will this functionality be transferred? or will I have to re do all that. 

I think that I should go to all the apps that Im currently using google authenticator and disable it all on this old phone. Then re do it all. Do you agree? I feel that I could be locked out otherwise. 

Any advice is appreciated

thanks

3 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

I have an apple iphone 7. For some reason when someone calls me I cannot hear them. The speaker button is disabled as well. 

Does the headphone jack function?

4 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

I think that I should go to all the apps that Im currently using google authenticator and disable it all on this old phone. Then re do it all. Do you agree? I feel that I could be locked out otherwise. 

I don’t use that but you probably have to do the disable process.

Do you have an encrypted backup on a local computer? If so then that is your best chance to restore from that or do the migration option from your old phone to the new one.

The other option once you have a local backup is to try one of the repair shops, it could be a reasonably easy repair.

I swapped from one Samsung to another in November last year.  Everything just moved by magic from one to the other using some Samsung transfer app, including authenticator which continued to function as if nothing had happened.  Can't say what will happen with an iphone but hard to imagine it wouldn't match a Samsung.

You must have an Apple ID and access to iCloud which is generally enough space to backup your apps and restore them to a new iPhone.

Do you backup your iPhone to your computer PC/Mac?  

Sounds like it's time to upgrade your iPhone and transferring your apps over to a new phone really isn't that onerous.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

You must have an Apple ID 

True and the OP almost certainly does.

and access to iCloud

Not correct.

which is generally enough space to backup your apps and restore them to a new iPhone.

The apps are not backed up, only the data and for many the free iCloud is not enough, one of my backups is 12.5Gb

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:
17 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

and access to iCloud

Not correct.

How do you know as the OP doesn't appear to have mentioned it?  If one has an Apple ID then it 5GB of free storage and iCloud storage is generally enough to backup apps.  I turn off everything else and just backup my apps.  

But all my iPhone data is backed up to my Mac.   

Not sure why the OP has such a big issue to contend with as seems quite straightforward to me, unless I'm missing something.  

• Like 1

Yes, I purchase a new iphone every 2 years and it is quite easy. 

You just need to ensure your iphone is backed up to you computer and/or cloud prior to the purchase and iphone rep does the rest.

As soon as they activate your new iphone all the contacts, apps, photos, music, and whatever else is on your phone begin to reinstall from the cloud onto the new iphone.

Then they factory restore your old phone.

Last time, I received a $600 credit for my iphone X. 

I had dropped it and smashed the back of the phone (Actually Na, from the Ruby Club, knocked it off the counter at the bar, LOL). 

The insurance covered it but they needed my phone for a week or two. I did not have that luxury.

So when I returned to the USA I purchased a new iphone XI with the credit plus some. 

On 8/16/2020 at 11:00 PM, torturedsole said:

unless I'm missing something.  

You certainly are missing something- the point of the thread which is to determine if the google authenticator functions are transferred to a new phone with the data transfer. Its a big issue if its all wiped and I cannot get into the apps with the new phone bc I lost all the google authenticator data

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbabythai said:

You certainly are missing something- the point of the thread which is to determine if the google authenticator functions are transferred to a new phone with the data transfer. Its a big issue if its all wiped and I cannot get into the apps with the new phone bc I lost all the google authenticator data

I'm confused. Why would one need Google Authenticator on an iPhone?

I have an even older iPhone which functions perfectly, so wondering why I might need this.

• Confused 1

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.authenticator2&showAllReviews=true

Seems that it's not worth the hassle.

Though in your case it seems that you need to scan a QR code in order to transfer the account.

All seems a bit of a step too far unless you are working with corporate secrets or national security matters.

50 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I'm confused. Why would one need Google Authenticator on an iPhone?

I have an even older iPhone which functions perfectly, so wondering why I might need this.

It's just a simple 2-factor authentication app (based on a recorded time-based token).

While I liked the idea, back when I was using it there was no way to backup the entries so now I use Authy.

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

It's just a simple 2-factor authentication app (based on a recorded time-based token).

While I liked the idea, back when I was using it there was no way to backup the entries so now I use Authy.

But why? iPhone already has 2 factor authentication. So why would I need/want it? Serious question.

11 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

But why? iPhone already has 2 factor authentication. So why would I need/want it? Serious question.

So long as your app or in-app process handles the two algorithms listed in the open source RFCs then there's no reason to also have Google Authenticator loaded. It was one of the first 2FA apps but certainly no longer the best. 

Time-based One-time Password Algorithm (TOTP; specified in RFC 6238)

HMAC-based One-time Password algorithm (HOTP; specified in RFC 4226)

17 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

if the iPhone has 2 factor authentication built in that you can just add 2 fact auth to sites like Amazon, Discord, Firefox, Gmail, Teamviewer, etc.

then I agree it's not necessary to have Google Authenticator.  Twilio Authy is much better alternative than Google Auth and I use it for 2FA for 22 sites + there is zero need to worry about backups.

anyways, some people like alternatives.. so It's like saying Windows comes with Internet Explorer/Edge already. So why would I need/want to use Google Chrome, Opera or Mozilla Firefox?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kekalot said:

if you need a 2FA app..

Some web sites I visit specifically asked me to input my Google verification code which I get from Google Authenticator.

Doesn't this mean I must use it, and transfer it to a new phone when I get one? Or will the other 2FA apps work also? I am a newbie at this so don't know.

3 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Some web sites I visit specifically asked me to input my Google verification code which I get from Google Authenticator.

Doesn't this mean I must use it, and transfer it to a new phone when I get one? Or will the other 2FA apps work also? I am a newbie at this so don't know.

Some sites actually recommend using Google Authenticator as the holder of their Time Based passcode to furnish them the required token. This has nothing to do with Google, except use of their software to help keep and generate the code when requested.

Any similar authenticator will do the same thing.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

its an added layer of security eg getting into my crypto account. Many other apps use it as well. Its great security

13 hours ago, Eindhoven said:
On 8/18/2020 at 8:34 PM, bbabythai said:

its an added layer of security eg getting into my crypto account. Many other apps use it as well. Its great security

Ok, understood. I just hadn't come across any app that suggested or requested it.

It is not unusual to have that added security. Although my devices have apple’s security I also have a program that has another layer of security that has things like my passport, driving licenses, Tax information, almost all my important documents together with about 600 different user names and passwords.

15 hours ago, Eindhoven said:
On 8/18/2020 at 8:34 PM, bbabythai said:

Ok, understood. I just hadn't come across any app that suggested or requested it.

I don't think you'll run into it unless you go looking for the option to enable 2FA (Two Factor Authentication) on a login account. Then you may see a how-to guide for your login service suggest Google Authenticator but it's just one of many 2FA/MFA end-user programs that can be used to handle the time-based password / token-key authentication mechanism. Otherwise, as you say, most apps don't even suggest or require it. The go-to 2FA type for banking apps is the FingerPrint scanner, and before that it was the SMS text pin code.

First, two things.

1. Keep your backup codes
  2. Keep your old phone

From what I have found, you will need to use the "change" option on each of your 2-step verification enabled apps/sites. This will most likely require you to log into each account using your current 2-step verification process first (hence the use of backup codes or your old phone).

• 2 weeks later...

Reporting back on my thread today. I moved data to a new iphone and no, the google authenticator codes were

not transferred. All other apps were successfully transferred but not this app. 

IMHO the developer needs a serious kicking. If one loses ones phone then theres a big nightmare being locked out of many apps bc of Google authenticator. Very stupid functionality

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bbabythai said:

Reporting back on my thread today. I moved data to a new iphone and no, the google authenticator codes were

IMHO the developer needs a serious kicking. If one loses ones phone then theres a big nightmare being locked out of many apps bc of Google authenticator. Very stupid functionality

IMNSHO it is the correct way to do it. There is good security or convenience. 

Good free security is not usually convenient.

Your fingerprint data is not transferred, it’s good security.

AFIK the Authenticator uses QR codes to register apps, this time make a backup, keep the backup in a secure location for the next time.

The developer has a responsibility for security, they fulfilled it, the rest is up to you Unless you are paying.

did you do the transfer correctly?

How do I transfer my Google Authenticator to a new phone?
Open Google's 2-Step Verification page in a browser and log into your Googleaccount when it asks you. In the “Authenticator app” section of the page, click “Change Phone.” Choose the kind of phone you are migrating to and click “Next.” You should now see the “Set up Authenticator” screen, complete with barcode.

I don’t know if this will transfer your data as well.

How did you transfer your data?  48B53135-434F-4D4F-A840-7D782583D5ED.jpeg.ae9bd62cc22d1a54319636b3d83d8563.jpeg

how much did you pay for the app? 

There are commercial apps that are easier, I use 1Password it has the same ability to authenticate, it’s easy to use on multiple devices.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 5:14 PM, bbabythai said:

There is an alternative for "Google Authenticator" it's called "Lockdown" (oke weird name in the current circumstances) this app syncs to your icloud and you just install it on another (iphone/ipad) device and you can use it on that (new) device as well.

Link: http://cocoaapp.com/lockdown/

Ps: It's not free

Lockdown is a secure two-factor authentication app that works with any online service that is compatible with Google Authenticator or 1Password 2FA.

• Data is automatically backed up with iCloud's CloudKit service and iTunes backups for restoring later for the ultimate two-factor authentication experience.
  • Syncing to multiple devices means that you can safely log into your online accounts no matter which device you're using.
  • If you forget or lose your device, or have to restore iOS on your device, you can easily pull down a backup of your data from iCloud without having to setup your two-factor accounts again.
  • Use TouchID on iPhone 5s or better to keep prying eyes from looking at your accounts stored in Lockdown.

Edited by MJCM

10 hours ago, MJCM said:

There is an alternative for "Google Authenticator" it's called "Lockdown" (oke weird name in the current circumstances) this app syncs to your icloud and you just install it on another (iphone/ipad) device and you can use it on that (new) device as well.

There are actually many apps that have the same function. The one I have is 1Password but the 2 factor is only a tiny part of it’s capability. I’ve been using it since the iPod version 2

D221C937-8B9D-42AC-9E89-421FE0D2C14D.thumb.jpeg.a658edba56a9d2db056ca32419897b9f.jpeg5630660A-B6A4-4E77-A812-5B27986D36B0.jpeg.d0c3721ab0d52bc2ab41327bd7c9ed8e.jpeg

On 8/18/2020 at 4:18 PM, Eindhoven said:

Wow, I thought you were really stupid, but now I think you are just trolling and taking the <deleted>.

OP:

I too wanted to do this, but run on two phones at the same time, and my research has suggested that you need to first go to all of your 2FA websites, login, switch off 2FA, then switch it on again and scan the new QR code for each website on both phones at the same time.

Then check afterwards that you can use either phone to authenticate, and then you should be safe to trash the old phone,

Hope this is more helpful 

Assuming you have both phones, install Authenticator on the new phone then use the export accounts function in Authenticator on the old phone to generate a QR code that you scan with the import accounts function in Authenticator on the new phone. If you have many accounts, it might generate 2 or 3 QR codes. This is for Android, apologies if the Authenticator app on Apple is different.