BANGKOK
bbabythai

Moving data from old iphone to new one. What about google authenticator?

I have an apple iphone 7. For some reason when someone calls me I cannot hear them. The speaker button is disabled as well. 

Ive watched many youtube videos about this and done all the suggested things. Ive even re-set the phone settings. Nothing works. Apple shop says I should try a restore but then I lose everything. 

Its an old phone and time to buy a new one. If I do upgrade the guy at the shop says he can transfer my data over. 

The biggest question is..... what about google authenticator? Will this functionality be transferred? or will I have to re do all that. 

I think that I should go to all the apps that Im currently using google authenticator and disable it all on this old phone. Then re do it all. Do you agree? I feel that I could be locked out otherwise. 

Any advice is appreciated

thanks

3 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

I have an apple iphone 7. For some reason when someone calls me I cannot hear them. The speaker button is disabled as well. 

Does the headphone jack function?

4 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

I think that I should go to all the apps that Im currently using google authenticator and disable it all on this old phone. Then re do it all. Do you agree? I feel that I could be locked out otherwise. 

I don’t use that but you probably have to do the disable process.

Do you have an encrypted backup on a local computer? If so then that is your best chance to restore from that or do the migration option from your old phone to the new one.

The other option once you have a local backup is to try one of the repair shops, it could be a reasonably easy repair.

I swapped from one Samsung to another in November last year.  Everything just moved by magic from one to the other using some Samsung transfer app, including authenticator which continued to function as if nothing had happened.  Can't say what will happen with an iphone but hard to imagine it wouldn't match a Samsung.

You must have an Apple ID and access to iCloud which is generally enough space to backup your apps and restore them to a new iPhone.

Do you backup your iPhone to your computer PC/Mac?  

Sounds like it's time to upgrade your iPhone and transferring your apps over to a new phone really isn't that onerous.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

You must have an Apple ID 

True and the OP almost certainly does.

and access to iCloud

Not correct.

which is generally enough space to backup your apps and restore them to a new iPhone.

The apps are not backed up, only the data and for many the free iCloud is not enough, one of my backups is 12.5Gb

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:
17 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

and access to iCloud

Not correct.

How do you know as the OP doesn't appear to have mentioned it?  If one has an Apple ID then it 5GB of free storage and iCloud storage is generally enough to backup apps.  I turn off everything else and just backup my apps.  

But all my iPhone data is backed up to my Mac.   

Not sure why the OP has such a big issue to contend with as seems quite straightforward to me, unless I'm missing something.  

• Like 1

Yes, I purchase a new iphone every 2 years and it is quite easy. 

You just need to ensure your iphone is backed up to you computer and/or cloud prior to the purchase and iphone rep does the rest.

As soon as they activate your new iphone all the contacts, apps, photos, music, and whatever else is on your phone begin to reinstall from the cloud onto the new iphone.

Then they factory restore your old phone.

Last time, I received a $600 credit for my iphone X. 

I had dropped it and smashed the back of the phone (Actually Na, from the Ruby Club, knocked it off the counter at the bar, LOL). 

The insurance covered it but they needed my phone for a week or two. I did not have that luxury.

So when I returned to the USA I purchased a new iphone XI with the credit plus some. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, torturedsole said:

How do you know as the OP doesn't appear to have mentioned it?

He has an iPhone, it requires an Apple ID, an Apple ID permits access to iCloud QED.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

9 hours ago, torturedsole said:

But all my iPhone data is backed up to my Mac.   

Only if you have turned on encryption.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:00 PM, torturedsole said:

unless I'm missing something.  

You certainly are missing something- the point of the thread which is to determine if the google authenticator functions are transferred to a new phone with the data transfer. Its a big issue if its all wiped and I cannot get into the apps with the new phone bc I lost all the google authenticator data

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbabythai said:

You certainly are missing something- the point of the thread which is to determine if the google authenticator functions are transferred to a new phone with the data transfer. Its a big issue if its all wiped and I cannot get into the apps with the new phone bc I lost all the google authenticator data

I'm confused. Why would one need Google Authenticator on an iPhone?

I have an even older iPhone which functions perfectly, so wondering why I might need this.

• Confused 1

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.authenticator2&showAllReviews=true

Seems that it's not worth the hassle.

Though in your case it seems that you need to scan a QR code in order to transfer the account.

All seems a bit of a step too far unless you are working with corporate secrets or national security matters.

50 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I'm confused. Why would one need Google Authenticator on an iPhone?

I have an even older iPhone which functions perfectly, so wondering why I might need this.

It's just a simple 2-factor authentication app (based on a recorded time-based token).

While I liked the idea, back when I was using it there was no way to backup the entries so now I use Authy.

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

It's just a simple 2-factor authentication app (based on a recorded time-based token).

While I liked the idea, back when I was using it there was no way to backup the entries so now I use Authy.

But why? iPhone already has 2 factor authentication. So why would I need/want it? Serious question.

11 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

But why? iPhone already has 2 factor authentication. So why would I need/want it? Serious question.

So long as your app or in-app process handles the two algorithms listed in the open source RFCs then there's no reason to also have Google Authenticator loaded. It was one of the first 2FA apps but certainly no longer the best. 

Time-based One-time Password Algorithm (TOTP; specified in RFC 6238)

HMAC-based One-time Password algorithm (HOTP; specified in RFC 4226)