Buster's Fish & Chip Shop near Sukhumvit 33/1

blackcab

1 minute ago, blackcab said:

It never closed. It changed from 24 hour opening to closing at 9pm because of the curfew, but it's been back to 24/7 opening for a while now.

This is all a bit strange. I've been shopping in there for decades but the other week I just couldn't find it, and just saw some place boarded up, all very strange. Ended up in the Soi Thonglor one which is actually much better stocked.  

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

This is all a bit strange. I've been shopping in there for decades but the other week I just couldn't find it, and just saw some place boarded up, all very strange. Ended up in the Soi Thonglor one which is actually much better stocked.  

Its been open throughout lockdown.

Have not seen any problems except the panic to buy beer just before the booze ban was starting

As nocolorcab says, there was Limited hours for a while.  ????

Have to check out the new fish and chip shop when I am there next thanks. 

Edited by jojothai

8 hours ago, jojothai said:

Its been open throughout lockdown.

Have not seen any problems except the panic to buy beer just before the booze ban was starting

As nocolorcab says, there was Limited hours for a while.  ????

Have to check out the new fish and chip shop when I am there next thanks. 

Just weird. I literally couldn't see it and eventually gave up. 

Challenging time to open a new business. Looks like they might open today? Can't find their FB page?

Not sure fish and chips survive delivery without getting soggy and oily?

It seems like a lot of the tourist haunts have gone under, some early on, a lot just over the last month. 

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Menu?.....Do they do battered sausage, mushy peas, scraps, bread and butter, gravy?

When I was there they didn't even have a front door. I will take some pictures of the food and the menu when I go.

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2020 at 12:06 PM, SteveK said:

Will be interesting to see if they are using Pangasius fillets for their fish and chips like everywhere else in Thailand.

Yess, this is the key. For good fish and chips you need a quality piece of fish (does not have to be Cod!), not just some piece of semi-manufactured rubbish or a cheap local fish that they hope no customer will notice, when covered in batter. 
BTW, I have always found the Black Swan version pretty average, whatever the fish they use. 

i have rarely had decent fish and chips in Thailand. Funnily enough the better ones ,I have had,  have been in Thai restaurants (where they use good quality fish) , not, so far, in any farang run place. 
I hope this place defies my rather negative expectation, and , for sure, I will give it a whirl, as it’s just a few hundred meters away from my condo.

Thanks to the OP.

Edited by wordchild

Last good fish and chips I had in Thailand was in Pattaya about 3 years ago. I think it's still open, it's close to Central Mall. "Everyday is Fryday Fish & Chips Restaurant". Choice of Pangasius or Cod. Google maps has pics of the menu with Fish and chips 110B and Cod and chips 180B.

Agree that the better Thai seafood restaurants also generally serve a better version of fish and chips than most tourist oriented places.

• Thanks 1

I just went past again. The place looks nearly finished, but they still haven't got a front door.

I'm not entirely convinced they will be selling food tomorrow, but I'll give it a go anyway to find out.

Intrepid fish and chip hunter, over and out.

16 hours ago, blackcab said:

I just went past again. The place looks nearly finished, but they still haven't got a front door.

I'm not entirely convinced they will be selling food tomorrow, but I'll give it a go anyway to find out.

Intrepid fish and chip hunter, over and out.

I wouldn't expect the first day would be a fair representation of the quality though - surely they should expect some teething issues in the first few days, especially if construction is going up until the last minute?

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

...surely they should expect some teething issues in the first few days, especially if construction is going up until the last minute?

I think anyone who has been here a while expects the odd speed bump. I popped in this evening to find tilers hard at it and all sorts of activity going on. No food though, which is understandable given the builders haven't quite finished.

Friday is the new openinging day, with the added bonus that it is an auspicious day or so I am informed.

Fish on a Friday and all that. I'll keep the thread updated.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 8:43 AM, Keyser Soze666 said:

Just weird. I literally couldn't see it and eventually gave up. 

Drinking to excess again???  :burp:

Villa 33-1 hasn't entirely closed anytime thru the pandemic, nor has their storefront there ever been boarded up, AFAIK.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

I think anyone who has been here a while expects the odd speed bump. I popped in this evening to find tilers hard at it and all sorts of activity going on. No food though, which is understandable given the builders haven't quite finished.

Friday is the new openinging day, with the added bonus that it is an auspicious day or so I am informed.

Fish on a Friday and all that. I'll keep the thread updated.

Be curious to know will one be able to eat REAL, reasonably healthy fish there from decent reputable sources... As opposed to farm raised local Thai or Vietnamese Dory fish fed and dosed with who knows what....

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Drinking to excess again???  :burp:

Villa 33-1 hasn't entirely closed anytime thru the pandemic, nor has their storefront there ever been boarded up, AFAIK.

Yes that has now been established. I can't get my head around, I just couldn't find the place.

• Haha 1

Had fish and chips from the Londoner tonight.  I have to say it was pretty good and I would order it again.  They say it is from Lake Toba on the menu but don't say what kind of fish - I am guessing Tilapia.  Fresh, tasty, and flaky.  Nice home made tartar sauce too.

Looking forward to hearing what the new place offers.

• Like 1