Buster's Fish & Chip Shop near Sukhumvit 33/1

blackcab

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I suspect any Cod and chips will be Pacific Cod, different species ,same family,

processed in China, genuine Atlantic Cod from say Norway or Iceland would

just be too expensive to use.

regards worgeordie

Huh???  Does the term "Pacific cod" mean the fish was "processed" in China... and caught where???

• Like 1

I use to own a shop in tha compound years ago, ( video World, for those who have been here for a while now) Its a good location but expensive rent, most of the shops owned by the the owner of Villa supermarket, hence the high rent, anyway, hopefully his product will be good and enjoyable...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Huh???  Does the term "Pacific cod" mean the fish was "processed" in China... and caught where???

Just go on Alibaba and you will see many suppliers of Cod,which

is caught in N.Pacific up Alaska way,and is processed in China

hope that explains it

regards Worgeordie

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Just go on Alibaba and you will see many suppliers of Cod,which

is caught in N.Pacific up Alaska way,and is processed in China

hope that explains it

regards Worgeordie

I think I'm more concerned about what kind of fish it is, and where it's caught from... vs.  where it ends up being processed..   But dunno, how much the processing location ends up mattering in such things.

• Like 1

Not had decent fish and chips for years here in Phuket especially in the south of the island there used to be a couple of places that were good then the usual thing change owners then it goes down hill, the last one I ordered was to take away I sat at the bar had a couple of drinks when I got home they hadn't got the batter right it just went to water, so disappointing. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Had fish and chips from the Londoner tonight.  I have to say it was pretty good and I would order it again.  They say it is from Lake Toba on the menu but don't say what kind of fish - I am guessing Tilapia.  Fresh, tasty, and flaky.  Nice home made tartar sauce too.

Looking forward to hearing what the new place offers.

I had the Londoner fish and chips last month. I agree, it was really nice. Cooked perfectly. 

Looking forward to Blackcab's report.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, blackcab said:

20200821_222337.thumb.jpg.623bd744be38c1f6369c8fdf1d0f9000.jpg

Fried Mars bars? Seriously?

For the rest, looks interesting and may give it a visit. Thank you for the review.

Just wondering though - does the batter have to include beer? Goujons is breaded... so maybe that's an alcohol-free alternative...

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, AlfHuy said:

seems quite a small portion for the price.

That's a good observation. The portion is not what I would call large. If you're a big guy and you haven't eaten all day then it's not going to be enough.

If you don't need a gut buster it will hit the spot.

330 baht is about what other places in the area charge for roughly the same. Is that pricey? I think it's like a lot of foreign food here. It's always more than it costs back home.

To be fair to them I don't expect it to be cheap. Their rent must be astronomical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to that New Zealand run Snapper place in a pub off soi 8 the other week. Always had great fish and chips there. Was closed down. Apparently opened a snazzy restaurant somewhere else in Bangkok. Shame. I always went there when in Bangkok.

Will give this place a try next week.

Very disappointing portion for the money. That's smaller than an OAP portion in the UK. That seems to be a never ending theme here, you pay your money and get it home, but once you've got the wrapper off there's nothing there!

Think I'll give it a miss, very disappointed.  At that Artbox place on soi 10 I can get a mind-blowing pizza for 270 baht, think I'll go there instead.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Fried Mars bars? Seriously?

For the rest, looks interesting and may give it a visit. Thank you for the review.

Just wondering though - does the batter have to include beer? Goujons is breaded... so maybe that's an alcohol-free alternative...

The fried Mars bars will be a special treat for the Glaswegians.

regards worgeordie

9 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Looks nice, although this place never fails to amaze me that we have people who eat enough Cod and F&C to be able to notice the difference and have a preference between Atlantic or Pacific Cod!

Cod connoisseur, just like you have experts on here that are beer,wine,baked beans,and hamburgers connoisseur's

Regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

They have pies!

I do like a good pie, Chicken, Leek & Ham especially, might need to give it a try next time in Bangkok. With borders closed access to my favourite pie shop in KL isn't possible. 

10 hours ago, SteveK said:

Very disappointing portion for the money. That's smaller than an OAP portion in the UK. That seems to be a never ending theme here, you pay your money and get it home, but once you've got the wrapper off there's nothing there!

Think I'll give it a miss, very disappointed.  At that Artbox place on soi 10 I can get a mind-blowing pizza for 270 baht, think I'll go there instead.

what's the place called?

• Sad 1

On 8/21/2020 at 9:09 AM, blackcab said:

330 baht is about what other places in the area charge for roughly the same. Is that pricey? I think it's like a lot of foreign food here. It's always more than it costs back home.

It's almost the same price as the Huntsman Pub's fish and chips at the Landmark Hotel that I posted the clip of above...  And having a small retail shop priced nearly the same as an expensive Sukhumvit Road hotel eatery isn't a good look. And at least with the Huntsman, you can have an up to 50% Eatigo discount off your food order.

That said, I wouldn't want them serving Dory fish instead in order to have a more reasonable price...  Perhaps a different location would have allowed a more economical menu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

what's the place called?

Try reading the thread.  It is mentioned several times, the OP posted a picture of the place with its huge sign outside, in his review he posted pictures of the food and the box it came in which has the name on it.  

On 8/20/2020 at 9:12 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think I'm more concerned about what kind of fish it is, and where it's caught from... vs.  where it ends up being processed..   But dunno, how much the processing location ends up mattering in such things.

I agree, perhaps he's just one of those people who thinks that anything connected with China has to be bad and deserves denigration.

1 hour ago, Isan Farang said:

This is best fresh fish you can find, and good for a cost comparison 

https://www.theashvale.com/takeaway/menus.php

What's the point of that?  Comparing the price of a fish and chip place in the north of Scotland with one in the middle of Bangkok.  About as valid a comparison as comparing the price of a pad thai here with one in London.

Also the price is not that different - a cod supper is £8.20, which is around 340 baht.

14 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

There is no alcohol in beer batter unless you're eating it raw!

Edited by Hi Tea

14 hours ago, blackcab said:

Buster's Fish and Chip Shop

They are open for business. I popped in this evening and ordered Cod and Chips. It came served in a custom take away box with a decent quality disposable knife and fork, even though I was eating in. To be honest I preferred the box; what with the virus situation and everything else.

20200821_210433.thumb.jpg.fca8b434f0eaf83773cc39372fa51987.jpg

The fish definitely was cod. Pacific cod, with a nice, firm and flaky fish inside. Personally I like Pacific cod or Atlantic cod, even though we tend to get Atlantic cod in the UK. The batter was crispy, golden and not oily.

The serving came with a wedge of lemon and a pot of tartar sauce. I opted for an extra side of baked beans.

20200821_210543.thumb.jpg.21d6d2dac7e16b609706059b5b031b8b.jpg

The chips were great. A hot, firm outside with a soft and moist inner. Just the way I like it.

20200821_210708.thumb.jpg.a1c707d729d5899d3b5cb1fa60d4f880.jpg

The menu also offers Comfort Food, so there's a bit more on offer than the standard fare, which is a great idea.

20200821_222337.thumb.jpg.623bd744be38c1f6369c8fdf1d0f9000.jpg

The damage was 330 baht for the cod and chips, 50 baht for the baked beans and 40 baht for a coke light.

Would I repeat? Yes, definitely.

Note: This was not a sponsored or paid promotion. I paid for my dinner just like everyone else.

Thanks for the report, looks decent (if a little small as others have mentioned).  Will definitely give it a try myself next time I'm in the area.

1 hour ago, Isan Farang said:

This is best fresh fish you can find, and good for a cost comparison 

https://www.theashvale.com/takeaway/menus.php

Who says that it's "the best fish you can find"?  They don't produce their own fish so it's obviously no better than every other outlet that buys from the same supplier.

Edited by Hi Tea