Renewal of International driving permit

hackjam

I guess if it was a genuine international driving permit it can be used everywhere except in the country that it was issued. So what's the point of having a renewed if you can't use it in Thailand. Secondly I am pretty sure that an international driving permit can only be obtained in Bangkok. I think you might have got a fake one

• Like 1

Found this on a Pattaya Expat Club site:

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/Intl driving permit issued in Thailand.pdf

And on the DLT website:
https://www.dlt.go.th/en/international-driving-licence/

Can't comment on how current those links are (they work but no idea when the last time they were updated was).

7 hours ago, hackjam said:

I went to Chonburi last year and got my first International Driving Permit.

Now I need to renew it.

You cannot renew an IDP you can only get a new one. As all the borders are closed you can’t drive in or through any or the 4 countries, also most of them accept a Thai driving license, as do many other countries.

59 minutes ago, gamini said:

I guess if it was a genuine international driving permit it can be used everywhere except in the country that it was issued. So what's the point of having a renewed if you can't use it in Thailand. Secondly I am pretty sure that an international driving permit can only be obtained in Bangkok. I think you might have got a fake one

You cant use it in Thailand, but you can in other countries around the globe. Question is maybe how OP will get there with borders closed, but the IDP is valid for a year and maybe he regularly crosses the border by car or something. 

An IDP can be obtrained in other places also. My wife got hers years ago in Phuket. Why would they only issue them in Bangkok? Its just a piece of paper translating your Thai drivers license with a government stamp added.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gamini said:

Have renewed my IDP a few times at Chonburi, cannot do in pattaya. Need residence cert from immigration.

Thai issued IDP cannot be used in Thailand but is accepted as a translation of your Thai drivers licence mostly worldwide

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gamini said:

You think and guess completely wrong.... The International DL can also be used in any country if this person has a job outside of TH. 

• Like 1

I was able to get an IDP in Krabi last year. You need to have a valid Thai driver's license as the IDP is not a license in and of itself--it must be used along with a valid driver's license from the country that issues it (the IDP). There are websites claiming that they can sell you a driver's license that can be used internationally. I wouldn't trust any of those myself.

The Land Transport office also asked for a Certificate of Residence from immigration, which may mean you need to get the IDP in the province where you officially reside. 

Interestingly enough, there was no expiration date on it but they said it was valid for a year. IT cost around 500 baht.   I was able to use it, along with my Thai license, to rent cars overseas.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Thai driving license is not always accepted when hiring cars overseas.

OK understand in UK no need other countries obviously you know what you need.

Good luck on your travels. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gamini said:

Secondly I am pretty sure that an international driving permit can only be obtained in Bangkok. I think you might have got a fake one

That is not correct. Some years ago I was at Chonburi and was talking to a guy in the queue as we waited for the doors to open. He had come for an IDP and when the doors opened he went up that stairs, came back down about 20 minutes later and gave me the thumbs up, I hadn't moved very far.

That was the old building and IDP details were posted at the bottom of the stairs, in the new building licences are on the 4th floor but not sure about IDP.

17 hours ago, gamini said:

Secondly I am pretty sure that an international driving permit can only be obtained in Bangkok. I think you might have got a fake one

My goodness. He has to go to Bangkok and he might have a fake. Completely wrong information. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, soisanuk said:

As mentioned, the subject is an International Driving Permit (IDP), The requirement for use has nothing to do with having a job outside of Thailand.  The IDP is based on United Nations conventions to which nations have subscribed.  It basically is a translation into several languages information from the person's driving license and when using must be accompanied by such license. 

IDPs are used to drive a vehicle (type will be noted on the IDP)  in countries other than the one issuing them if that country requires it.  Some countries will allow use of the foreign driving license without the need for and IDP, others will require it, and others may not recognize either.  As the OP mentioned, in his case he needs it to hire a car in the country he plans to visit.  

As he later mentioned, he has now decided to wait to get a new one considering current travel restrictions.  His original question was if he could now get it in Pattaya instead of Chonburi.  As I previously posted, things have not changed and he will still need to get it in Chonburi. 

Here is a link where the process at Chonburi Land Transport Office is mentioned and the documents required:   https://yourpattaya.com/driver-license-international-thailand.html

Useful info, many thanks.

• 11 months later...