Lampang: "Berserk" monk tosses grenade at neighbor in ongoing feud

webfact

53 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I must be reading dodgy books, my books say buddhists are pacifists who stay in temples?

They seem to let the Drawbridge down quite often; i saw four of them in Tesco filling a trolley with upmarket food products yesterday.  Guess all the alms collected food is keeping the Temple Stray Dogs happy !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He denied throwing the grenade.

Buddhist monk would never lie. He knew very well it was just a mock... Or did he?

Where do monks get weapons anyway? Is this part of the alms, or temple donations or they have a steady supplier of war weapons? I'd like to hear one good explanation why temples must arm with explosives...

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, nausea said:

i think the accepted thing to do, if you're an upset Buddhist monk, is self-immolation. Searched the Sutras but can't find any reference to throwing grenades.

Perhaps it's acceptable to throw it against a wall so it bounces back at you, allowing a variation on self-immolation, with a bnag?

Sorry - that's bang out of order.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, nausea said:

i think the accepted thing to do, if you're an upset Buddhist monk, is self-immolation. Searched the Sutras but can't find any reference to throwing grenades.

Thai buddhism is unique!

Another member of the righteous! I guess he is deeply religious, and believe in Buddhism whole heartedly.

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

I put this in Google Translate, but nothing came back.   PML

Wonder what Google you are using. No problem to get a result.

ker·fuf·fle
/kərˈfəfəl/

noun
INFORMALBRITISH

1. a commotion or fuss, especially one caused by conflicting views.
    "there was a kerfuffle over the chairmanship"
Edited by Matzzon

41 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Another member of the righteous! I guess he is deeply religious, and believe in Buddhism whole heartedly.

Wonder what Google you are using. No problem to get a result.

ker·fuf·fle
/kərˈfəfəl/

noun
INFORMALBRITISH

1. a commotion or fuss, especially one caused by conflicting views.
    "there was a kerfuffle over the chairmanship"

No, that's Google Dictionary. I was trying to translate it into Thai to explain to the Mrs.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

They seem to let the Drawbridge down quite often; i saw four of them in Tesco filling a trolley with upmarket food products yesterday.  Guess all the alms collected food is keeping the Temple Stray Dogs happy !

"...in Tesco filling a trolley with upmarket food products..."

That's a contradiction in terms if I ever heard one!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Buddhist monk would never lie. He knew very well it was just a mock... Or did he?

Where do monks get weapons anyway? Is this part of the alms, or temple donations or they have a steady supplier of war weapons? I'd like to hear one good explanation why temples must arm with explosives...

He didn't have a weapon, it was a fake.

On 8/17/2020 at 8:38 AM, Bender Rodriguez said:

so how does a monk obtain such device ?

hence, the zero respect I have for that kind

There are many charlatans in cloth, but no need to generalise as a lot are decent and have right mind. But this guy is a monk not, or has lost his way.

On 8/17/2020 at 2:35 PM, how241 said:

Is putting a tire around a live gremand the right way to stop any injuries ?  Certainly better than nothing.

Maybe it was a 'Goodyear' tyre and the bomb squad took this to mean they had divine protection?  Or even a 'Goodrich' with the lucky numbers for the next lottery highlighted in the tread?

2 hours ago, phetchy said:

Maybe it was a 'Goodyear' tyre and the bomb squad took this to mean they had divine protection?  Or even a 'Goodrich' with the lucky numbers for the next lottery highlighted in the tread?

ha ha ha....Seriously,  you might be right.