Flood of plastic waste washes ashore Phuket beach

snoop1130

Flood of plastic waste washes ashore Phuket beach

By The Phuket News

1597660324_1-org.jpg

The plastic waste on Layan, Leypang beaches stretches as far as the eye can see. Image: Supplied

PHUKET:-- MaAnn Samran, Chief of the Cherng Talay Tambon Administration (OrBorTor), today told The Phuket News that he will dispatch officers to inspect the deluge of plastic waste that has smothered large areas of Layan and Leypang beaches and organise a mass clean-up operation.

The deluge of trash was pushed ashore by the southwest monsoon over the weekend, and appears to stretch kilometres along the beach, from Layan Beach through Laypang Beach on Bang Tao Bay on Phuket’s central west coast.

After receiving images of the trash covering huge areas of the beach, Mr MaAnn said that he was surprised to see so much debris along the sands.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/flood-of-plastic-waste-washes-ashore-phuket-beach-77038.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-08-17

• Sad 3

20 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

From the link, and before the uninformed primarily blame just locals for ocean pollution, this from the person who reported the problem:

"I assumed it was all from Thailand, but looking closely it is clear 95% of it is from Malaysia and Indonesia as some labels do survive,” he added.

I suppose cleaning it from beaches is one way to ensure some of these ocean plastics are cleaned up. Also, it forces local authorities to use some of their budget for the purposes for which it was intended.

Do they not import product from indonesia and malaysia into thailand,where i once lived was just over 100 kilometres from indonesia and we neverhad this problem, maybe the tides took it all the way to thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Same Same at Patong and Kamala Beaches last week.

The most plastic I have  ever witnessed in 12 years of daily walking the beach.

And yes , lots of it has Malaysian/Indonesian labelling.

The worst offender ( as per the pic ) is single use plastic cups of water , millions of them. Disinegrating into small bits ...

It really is time for governments to ban them and promote larger volume bottles that are easier to recover . 'Pickers ' had recovered all the big coloured Oil/ soap bottles and broken buckets within days , but the cups  have no market and remain..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heybuz said:

Do they not import product from indonesia and malaysia into thailand,where i once lived was just over 100 kilometres from indonesia and we neverhad this problem, maybe the tides took it all the way to thailand.

2 hours ago, Venom said:

It's the same every year when the winds change, it's caused by Thai fishing boats throwing their rubbish into the sea before returning to port. 

2 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Maybe 2% from fishboats. Majority comes from rivers. Millions of people throw trash in rivers. Thousands of fisherman throw trash in the sea.

Is it really too much trouble to read and understand the OP? Also in the first post is good information.

Seems much more than we usually have this time of year.

• Like 2

I would assume a lot of this came from China as they have had heavy rains for the past 45 days which caused flooding there in over 26 province's. Most all this water did wash things into the sea. Many countries also load their trash on big boats and take the trash out to see and dump it. 

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, hlj said:

I would assume a lot of this came from China as they have had heavy rains for the past 45 days which caused flooding there in over 26 province's. Most all this water did wash things into the sea. Many countries also load their trash on big boats and take the trash out to see and dump it. 

Can you tell us which part of China is close enough to deposit tons of plastic in the Andaman Sea? The flooding in the Yangtze River has caused debris to exit into the east China Sea at Shanghai. It would then have to travel thousands of miles through the S.China Sea, negotiate the Malacca Straits and push north up to the Andaman. You said many countries dump their waste at sea, any links to this specific to the Phuket problem?

Here in North Phuket , a new water bottle has turned up in the thousands and the print on them says they are produced in Sabah , northern Borneo.

I whole heartedly agree that most of the year , local fisherman are the problem . Tons of damaged net and ropes , little brown M-15 bottles , plastic bottles filled with urine , outboard  and car engine bottles and ice and bait plastic bags. Squidders giant light bulbs and fluros. All this puts pay to the idea that the Primary producer knows and loves his environment .

But the seas are currently rough , so they are rarely going out fishing.

The flotsam now is household , many with Malay print , and surprisingly clean and devoid of barnacles, which tells me its come , quite rapidly on the SW Monsoon winds and currents  , from Malaysia.

• Like 1

you guys got it all wrong. you know how big a travel bubble could be created using all that plastic waste ? 

blam-o you just solved 2 problems with one awesome idea. 

ps...idea given to me by the TAT. in no way do i take credit for such a winner.