Flood of plastic waste washes ashore Phuket beach

snoop1130

On 8/17/2020 at 8:35 PM, stevenl said:

Is it really too much trouble to read and understand the OP? Also in the first post is good information.

Seems much more than we usually have this time of year.

Is it really too much trouble to read and understand my post? I was merely suggesting that fishermen cannot be blamed for the majority of the trash. The article (which I read and fully comprehend) makes no mention of fishermen being responsible.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 3:06 AM, Venom said:

It's the same every year when the winds change, it's caused by Thai fishing boats throwing their rubbish into the sea before returning to port. 

I doubt that the fishermen on thai boats throw away their flip-flops twice a day and they certaintly don`t have the money to stock their boats full of soft drinks and dairy products.

Edited by Yahooka

4 hours ago, Yahooka said:

I doubt that the fishermen on thai boats throw away their flip-flops twice a day and they certaintly don`t have the money to stock their boats full of soft drinks and dairy products.

You'd be surprised. Before return to port all garbage thrown overboard. If you have any doubt, go down to the port and inspect the boats. The flip flops wear out and cost about 35 baht. A bottle of water 5 baht. ????

7 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Is it really too much trouble to read and understand my post? I was merely suggesting that fishermen cannot be blamed for the majority of the trash. The article (which I read and fully comprehend) makes no mention of fishermen being responsible.

You said 'majority comes from rivers', which is simply not true.

7 hours ago, Yahooka said:

But, why are nearly all these flip-flops left-footed? Just something I noticed.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

The majority of people in SEA don't have waterfront property but they do live near rivers where waste, including toilets, go direct.

Nice attempt at deflection, we were talking about the rubbish on Phuket beaches. Nothing to do with rivers.

33 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Nice attempt at deflection, we were talking about the rubbish on Phuket beaches. Nothing to do with rivers.

I have traveled all over SEA and even in beachfront towns, most of the trash comes from rivers. They are always chock full of trash. And guess what? They all lead to the sea and then go directly to Phuket beaches. 

38 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

I have traveled all over SEA and even in beachfront towns, most of the trash comes from rivers. They are always chock full of trash. And guess what? They all lead to the sea and then go directly to Phuket beaches. 

Doubling down on nonsense. See the OP where the trash comes from.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:21 AM, zaZa9 said:

Same Same at Patong and Kamala Beaches last week.

The most plastic I have  ever witnessed in 12 years of daily walking the beach.

And yes , lots of it has Malaysian/Indonesian labelling.

The worst offender ( as per the pic ) is single use plastic cups of water , millions of them. Disinegrating into small bits ...

It really is time for governments to ban them and promote larger volume bottles that are easier to recover . 'Pickers ' had recovered all the big coloured Oil/ soap bottles and broken buckets within days , but the cups  have no market and remain..

I also see many single use plastics from Malaysia and Indonesia. The other culprit is India, I would say about 1/3rd in my examination of plastics on Kamala Beach over the past ten years. I walk daily.