Koh Samui: Two remaining victims of Raja ferry sinking located

webfact

Koh Samui: Two remaining victims of Raja ferry sinking located 

6pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

The last two victims of the sinking of the Raja 4 ferry earlier this month have been located in the stricken ferry.

The decomposing bodies are believed to be crewman Thiwakorn and dust cart driver Chaichan.

Efforts to retrieve the bodies have so far failed. The bodies were crushed between vehicles and the structure of the ferry.

Conditions in the water hampered efforts and a further attempt will be made today.

6pm2.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

There are plans to salvage the vessel starting August 28th and continuing until September 22nd.

There were sixteen people aboard when the ferry - carrying a pick-up and three 18 wheel dust carts and laden with 120 tons of trash - sank five nautical miles off Koh Samui around 10.30 pm on August 1st. 

It had been on its way to Donsak on the Surat Thai mainland.

Eleven people survived and so far three bodies have been recovered. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-18

RIP to all the deceased I have travelled on that vessel many times I never understood how it even passed a safety check but if your travelling by vehicle the options are very limited. If it is in very deep water I cannot see the point in salvaging it .

25 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

RIP to all the deceased I have travelled on that vessel many times I never understood how it even passed a safety check but if your travelling by vehicle the options are very limited. If it is in very deep water I cannot see the point in salvaging it .

They need to get the garbage out of the trucks before the packaging breaks up?

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

Agreed, horrible vessel leave the damned thing there unless its a find out why reason