Koh Samui hotels to be proposed for alternate state quarantine

webfact

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Percentages are great, until you start looking at the actual numbers...

Screenshot_6.jpg.3b2609415ba5041acd602bf62528b872.jpg

40-50,000 new diagnosed cases per day in the U.S., and lately been running 1000+ CV deaths per day (the above numbers are a bit light because they reflect a Monday's tally).

@TallGuyJohninBKK 2,464,791 active cases in the US today  and there are 17,291 serious or critical, so although not great, there is 331 mill people living in the US so you have to keep it in perspective and @Miami007 is right. &  its insanity to shutdown the world when this is only affecting 1% of the world population. be cautious and take precautions but this has been totally OTT by the world and im sure history will show that this was a ill thought out idea and a panic measure by the worlds governments

Edited by paulikens
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, paulikens said:

2,464,791 active cases in the US today  and there are 17,291 serious or critical, so although not great, there is 331 mill people living in the US so you have to keep it in perspective

Thailand has a population of about 70 million, roughly equal to California and Texas combined.

Thailand has had 58 official CV deaths. Texas and California combined have had about 20,000 deaths combined thus far.

Who's doing a better job with CV, and where would any sane person rather be?

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I actually think this is a sensible idea, if (repeat 'IF') it is open to all nationalities, and perhaps tweaked a little bit to make it more reasonable. And yes, all the residents who have been locked out would use it to return. So what? That is a good thing in my book.

I believe that you are correct.

Many posters here are living in the past.

We manage rental villas and for the past few years (end of 2018?) most of our guests have been Asians. There are always Europeans who want to come here, every year, for months at a time, but the short term market has been Asian.

These guests do not go to pubs or to western restaurants. They go to Thai restaurants, seafood restaurants or to the local market/shops to buy seafood/alcohol and cook on the BBQ at the villa.

Longer term Europeans are buying the Elite visa so that they can come back.

Also, there are always guests that will happily stay at the 5 star resorts and not go outside. (I personally know of one lady who stays at one for six months every year. She will have no problem with two week's quarantine.)

Six Senses, Tongsai Bay, Ritz Carlton - no problem.

We are not talking about mass tourism, but there are people out there desperate to get away from their own 'covid ridden' countires and come to live in a 'bubble'. Especially as winter in Europe draws near.

„He also informed that tourists must travel via Thai Airways and must be quarantined in ASQ hotels. After 14 days of quarantine, the tourists will be allowed to travel in the island with special wristbands, which would show that they are not infected by the virus.“

Sounds more like a trip to prison than a holiday. 

I know, Thais won‘t believe this, but the same sun ???? is shinning on other places of the earth too....

• Like 1

Totally crazy and disrespectful. They don't give a damn about strangers. These government people live in a bubble. It is absolutely indecent that they do not purpose anything more reasonable for people who are separated from their families.

Edited by jerolamo

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Some hotels in Koh Samui will be proposed this week to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) to be considered for alternative state quarantine (ASQ) in order to help the local economy.

That can work two ways, hotels on the island are looking for some fixed price revenue from quarantine customers whoever they may be, but that will impact domestic tourism who will not go near the place.

So they win with one hand but lose with another.

I would surmise domestic tourism would be more available and sustainable than a few quarantine patients if the price was right.

18 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

I could also do with some advice on what action to take when you seem to have a non-functioning amulet....

Drive as fast as you can to a temple using mountain roads, in the rain, give them a huge donation have a few beers and drive home fast in the early hours, i am sure it will be OK.

18 hours ago, mybeat said:

Weird that they say Germany and not EU, I wonder if they will check for residency.

After 14 days travel only in island? No thanks, but I wonder if guests could come visit.

I thought the exact same thing. How would they be able to filter europeans ? You don't get any stamp when you cross the border to Germany. So will they check : German passport + flight from Germany ?
If that German person spent his summer holidays in Spain, Italy, France, which are not allowed in. How in the hell will they know ?

On 8/18/2020 at 6:21 AM, webfact said:

Tourism Association of Koh Samui president Worasit Pongkampan added that tourists travelling to the island in the near future should pass the polymerase chain reaction test and have medical certificates from their countries. 

What is a polymerase chain reaction test.  Does it involve young Thai debutantes rubbing emollient on your bare buttocks?

Can't think of anyone I know in Australia who would be that desperate(and stupid)to quarantine for two weeks on arrival at their own expense, have their 2/3/4 weeks in the sun then pay another $3000 AUD on return to Australia to quarantine again. That's if they can get permission to leave in the first place given only deaths in families are being considered right now. Absolutely crazy if they think this is a viable going business concern..who thought this stupid idea up?

I wish they would stop using the word "tourist" and just say "long stayers" then I would not have to read through pages and pages of rants here.

We all know this is not for what the "west" regards as "tourists".

Sadly Thais don't seem to distinguish - we are just foreign tourists to them ?