British Airways Voucher refund?

Saltire

Last November I booked a return flight home to the UK on BA for May this year.

I opted for a voucher when the flight didn't  happen, thinking I would for sure use it within a year.

I no longer think this will be an option due to no sign of restrictions relaxing between arriving in the UK and then returning to Thailand. I also see the cost of flights will mean the voucher is unlikely to cover a new flight.

Has anyone requested and received a refund after getting a voucher?

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My voucher from a cancelled BA flight in July, is valid until April 2022.  Plenty of time to get back to 'normal'.

Thanks for that, mine is one year May till May, maybe they can extend if I ask. That is more realistic I think.

Given the current climate most experts recommend taking a refund, rather than a voucher. I would try to get a refund now. May 2021 seems iffy re: 'normal' return to Thailand (unless you might qualify for the whole quarantine route). And no clue if they'll extend the voucher term?

I would read/ask here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2012941-rebooking-e-voucher.html

I'm guessing you do not have to leave? That you are on some sort of annual extension, and would use a re-entry permit? 

Obviously you can fly BKK-LHR easily now.

BA 10 flew Thu, Fri and Sun last week, 13, 14 & 16 Aug.

20 Aug flight shows as cancelled, 21 & 23 Aug show as scheduled.

Other flights via EVA/BR (one weekly direct, non-stop flight, on Sundays), one-stop via Qatar Airways and others.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Given the current climate most experts recommend taking a refund, rather than a voucher. I would try to get a refund now. May 2021 seems iffy re: 'normal' return to Thailand (unless you might qualify for the whole quarantine route). And no clue if they'll extend the voucher term?

I would read/ask here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2012941-rebooking-e-voucher.html

I'm guessing you do not have to leave? That you are on some sort of annual extension, and would use a re-entry permit? 

Obviously you can fly BKK-LHR easily now.

BA 10 flew Thu, Fri and Sun last week, 13, 14 & 16 Aug.

20 Aug flight shows as cancelled, 21 & 23 Aug show as scheduled.

Other flights via EVA/BR (one weekly direct, non-stop flight, on Sundays), one-stop via Qatar Airways and others.

Thanks, you are correct I am on an annual extension based on retirement and have a single re-entry which wil expire along with my extension in November. I have no need to leave, May was just a holiday to see family as I had not been home for a few years.

I will request a refund to my voucher value but am not hopeful as I cancelled the flight a few days before it was due to depart, not BA. I was holding out to see if they cancelled but as I had no intention of going by then I felt it was the only option other than not turn up and lose it for sure.

They can only say no, and if they do I will ask for a deadline extension to use it later.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:11 AM, Saltire said:

I will request a refund to my voucher value but am not hopeful as I cancelled the flight a few days before it was due to depart, not BA. I was holding out to see if they cancelled but as I had no intention of going by then I felt it was the only option other than not turn up and lose it for sure.

They can only say no, and if they do I will ask for a deadline extension to use it later.

Having cancelled the flight yourself it is almost foregone conclusion there will be no refund, I think most vouchers have a fairly long validity.

I had a flight to Morocco with Easyjet, Morocco closed the airports 20th March but it wasn't until early May just a few days before we were due to depart before Easyjet cancelled the flight. I claimed a cash refund but could see from FB that people were getting little response so I did a chargeback on the credit card, had the funds back from the bank back within hours of the claim. 

That was back in June and a couple of days ago I actually got the refund from Easyjet, no doubt the bank will recover their refund in due course.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2020 at 10:11 AM, Saltire said:

will request a refund to my voucher value but am not hopeful as I cancelled the flight a few days before it was due to depart, not BA. I was holding out to see if they cancelled but as I had no intention of going by then I felt it was the only option other than not turn up and lose it for sure.

Why would anyone cancel a flight when the ticket wasn't refundable?

Let it fly with an empty seat ...... you paid for it.

On 8/19/2020 at 2:07 AM, Saltire said:

Thanks for that, mine is one year May till May, maybe they can extend if I ask. That is more realistic I think.

Just read the infiemation on ba.com. I think you will find it is automatically extended.

• Thanks 1