Windex stain on granite

samtam

I discovered a stain on my new bathroom granite countertop where the maid accidently left a bottle of Windex spray, which she uses to clean the mirrors. I have Googled solutions, but there appear to be none. I tried applying Bicarbonate of soda and water paste for a short time, but it made no difference, and quite possibly this is one liquid that will leave a stain on granite.

Anyone have any ideas?

windex.jpg

I do have a little knowledge on this subject from experience and suggest trying the faithful baking soda paste (with water). Avoid any acetic acids of any kind including 'windex'.  Many informative videos on Youtube about 'drawing' the stain out using acetone or peroxide. An old but very good video is: 

Many people don't realise that granite is porous and should be sealed properly and repeated once a year.

Hope this helps!

Normally Granite doesn't stain. But some stuff you get here has been stained prior to delivery. That will mark. Once it's lost it's colour your Buggered. You will never get it back. It'll need re-staining.

Little tip to anyone that's thinking of getting Granite work tops buy the stuff that is natural Not stained.

Oh and no unstained Granite that is natural will ever need protecting. I've had it on my driveway for around 8 years and it hasn't marked at all, even with the car driving over it everyday.

Just taken a snap and can see the mess it's in. The builders are making a real good job of trying to mess it up. But once they have finished a quick hose down and it's be back to normal.

IMGP0004.JPG

4 hours ago, Madgee said:

I do have a little knowledge on this subject from experience and suggest trying the faithful baking soda paste (with water). Avoid any acetic acids of any kind including 'windex'.  Many informative videos on Youtube about 'drawing' the stain out using acetone or peroxide. An old but very good video is: 

Many people don't realise that granite is porous and should be sealed properly and repeated once a year.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. I will try the baking soda method again, (which had no impact the first, but perhaps too brief a time), but I fear the Windex has already seeped into the granite, and I do not think the baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) will draw it out.

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Normally Granite doesn't stain. But some stuff you get here has been stained prior to delivery. That will mark. Once it's lost it's colour your Buggered. You will never get it back. It'll need re-staining.

Little tip to anyone that's thinking of getting Granite work tops buy the stuff that is natural Not stained.

Oh and no unstained Granite that is natural will ever need protecting. I've had it on my driveway for around 8 years and it hasn't marked at all, even with the car driving over it everyday.

Just taken a snap and can see the mess it's in. The builders are making a real good job of trying to mess it up. But once they have finished a quick hose down and it's be back to normal.

Thanks. I don't think it was pre-stained, but I have no certainty.

11 minutes ago, samtam said:

Thanks. I don't think it was pre-stained, but I have no certainty.

If it's lost it's colour it was pre-stained. Sorry to say you have a real problem. You either live with it or replace. You might like to try as a last resort putting Windex spray over the rest of the top and see if it'll all tone in. It'll be lighter but you'll have to live with that. Start by putting it on a bit that doesn't notice to much. On the edge maybe via a cloth. Best of luck. 

N/B the Granite that's on my driveway. I have used for my kitchen work tops and they haven't marked either. They get a real bashing. I put hot pans on them, as well as splashes of oil from the fryer. Just clean them with any normal kitchen cleaner. The wife even puts bleach say it kills germs. Don't ask TIT.

39 minutes ago, samtam said:

Thanks. I will try the baking soda method again, (which had no impact the first, but perhaps too brief a time), but I fear the Windex has already seeped into the granite, and I do not think the baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) will draw it out.

Thanks, but, my stain is from Windex WINDEX, (or glass or mirror cleaner). This method doesn't unfortunately address that spillage. It contains ammonia. 

This happenned to my black stained granite countertop too.  I have housekeeper put johnsons baby oil on it after each cleaning.  Twice a week.  The granite pores suck up the oil and make it about 70% better.  You can still see stain but better.  Could granite man restain it again?

11 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

If it's lost it's colour it was pre-stained. Sorry to say you have a real problem. You either live with it or replace. You might like to try as a last resort putting Windex spray over the rest of the top and see if it'll all tone in. It'll be lighter but you'll have to live with that. Start by putting it on a bit that doesn't notice to much. On the edge maybe via a cloth. Best of luck. 

N/B the Granite that's on my driveway. I have used for my kitchen work tops and they haven't marked either. They get a real bashing. I put hot pans on them, as well as splashes of oil from the fryer. Just clean them with any normal kitchen cleaner. The wife even puts bleach say it kills germs. Don't ask TIT.

Windex contains ammonia. I think it's unrecoverable. Pity. only 3 months old. Only 2 weeks of new maid....

6 hours ago, samtam said:

Windex contains ammonia. I think it's unrecoverable. Pity. only 3 months old. Only 2 weeks of new maid....

I think your correct. Give it the all over Windex treatment you cant loose anything as it's buggered anyway. It'll be trial and error. Try and find out how long she left the bottle on there for. But it would have only taken a few minutes to take the colour out. Start off with around 4/5 Min: and see what happens.  

7 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

This happenned to my black stained granite countertop too.  I have housekeeper put johnsons baby oil on it after each cleaning.  Twice a week.  The granite pores suck up the oil and make it about 70% better.  You can still see stain but better.  Could granite man restain it again?

I think re-staining it is out. If you have ever seem them stain Granite here. They put the stain on and leave it in the sun for sometimes weeks to let it get right through, re-staining every now and then. It's then polished and finished off with some sort of sealer.