Worm compost tray.

I've been thinking for quite some time now about setting up a small worm composting bin at our place and found this recently on lazada: 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/3-tray-worm-factory-vermicomposting-i971400099-s2074682405.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.37174ec2ZslyhF&search=1

As I have absolutely no experience with this, I was wondering have any of yous this particular worm casting tray? If so, would you recommend it? Or do you have a similar worm casting system in place which you recommend? 

I currently use cow manure and, to a lesser extent, chicken manure. I find the cow droppings work wonders for the plants, especially this time of the year when the heavy rains wash it into the soil, but I find a massive amount of weeds grow where I've used it, as the seeds are in the <deleted>. 

Any info on this particular worm tray would be much appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one of our worm farms. Works well. No ants, worms multiplying, lots of worm tea.

I epoxied a small meshed screen over the worm tea hole. Drilled air holes through the top cover, but since then modified the lid with some pieces of wood screwed to the underside of the lid to let more air flow.

20200623_145801.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

Here's one of our worm farms. Works well. No ants, worms multiplying, lots of worm tea.

I epoxied a small meshed screen over the worm tea hole. Drilled air holes through the top cover, but since then modified the lid with some pieces of wood screwed to the underside of the lid to let more air flow.

20200623_145801.jpg

Have I understood you correctly? There are no layers/levels/trays in the bin?

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2020 at 7:59 AM, carlyai said:

I too am interested in doing something like this so I am giving this topic a bump!

What is inside the concrete cylinder Carl? Any trays or layers?

Any tips on what works best in the compost mix and what scraps to avoid?

• Thanks 1

I was very lazy when I made mine. Bought a second hand bath tub, raised it on some bicks in the shade with a bit of incline towards the plug hole. Spread out a section of shade cloth, overlapping all the way around. Lined the bottom with a couple wet hessian bags, a few shovels full of local dirt, some food scraps with blood and bone fertilizer. Kept it moist for week and then added a cup of worms. Added food scraps daily and very soon had worm pee running out of the plug hole into a tray. They multiplied rapidly, within a month I was turning the waste by pulling the shade cloth over to one end. Worms will always be in the top portion, as you turn, all the good stuff will be on top, just take what you need and level out again. Pull the shade cloth over from the other end next time. Add any sort of vegetables and fruits except for citrus and onions, keep the bed moist and you will have a continuous liquid fertilizer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

I too am interested in doing something like this so I am giving this topic a bump!

What is inside the concrete cylinder Carl? Any trays or layers?

Any tips on what works best in the compost mix and what scraps to avoid?

Hi. Started off the rings with cattle manure on the bottom then worms. They love the 'kee khwii'. They love watermelon skins too. I put the coffee grinds and tea bags in also, anything except lemon lime etc peel (no citrus peels). 

They seem happy in the concrete rings.

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Hi. Started off the rings with cattle manure on the bottom then worms. They love the 'kee khwii'. They love watermelon skins too. I put the coffee grinds and tea bags in also, anything except lemon lime etc peel (no citrus peels). 

They seem happy in the concrete rings.

So how do you separate the worm castings? 

9 hours ago, djayz said:

So how do you separate the worm castings? 

By hand.  SWMBOsometimes does it. The castings can be easily seen  as they look like fine sand and different than the other mess.

She uses it on her garden, I only use the worm tea.

Probably not the best set up but that's what she wanted. Could change in the future.

I did see a set up a few years ago using some of the aquaponics fish waste into one of those blue barrels (if I remember) then the worm tea used as the fish feed, therefore getting rid if buying fish good. It was experimental and don't know how it ended up.

Keep posting with your updated invention.

Maybe I can collect some castings and put around my apple tree? ????