Mexican Anyone?

igotworms

I will be heading to Bkk soon for some electronics shopping and I would like to know where some, if any, high quality mexican restaurants can be found. The last time I had mexi in Bkk I was thouroughly disappointed (forgot the name of the rest.).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh....How about a good steak restaurant with BBQ sauce? None of this Pepper sauce crap. Anybody know a good BBQ steak house in Bkk?

Cheers.

I'm desperate here.  Is there even a Chilli's there?  Even suburban mall tex-mex food will suffice as long as its better than the mexi food found here in Phuket and elsewhere in the South.

Mexican (tex-mex or whatever) is not real big in Asia. Have tried several places in Bangkok and was very disappointed. Have not tried Senor Picos, but reports are not encouraging.

Nearest Chilli’s is KL airport. Might be worth a quick flight, you don't even have to go through immigration. There is also one in KLCC.

For steak, you might try Outback Steak House. Used to one in SCB Plaza (HQ for Siam Commercial Bank). Stay away from Sizzler.

TH

Only thing good about sizzler is the salad bar...especially when you're weekly veggie intake is as low as mine...

Outback Steakhouse...I could use some chain-store steak about now...

I'm getting hungry.

Thanks for the info.

Depends on your standards, of course, but I find the Mexican food at Bourbon St. complete rubbish. Not even Taco Bell quality.

I 'll second the Bourbon street comment. Pico's was not bad, bring some cash

the price was western prices. Still a good treat for being in asia and you have the flavor for such taste.

I think I ate at Pico's last time I was in BKK. Is that in the Silom Area?

Chilli's in Jakarta...quite a long haul for some fajitas. I ate at the Chilli's in KL's Petronas Towers Shopping center (or whatever the name is) and it did the trick.

El Gordo was the nickname of a 22 year old senior during my old days of high school. He was the welding king....four years of welding skills ahead of everyone.

Think I'll pass on El Gordo's.

But thanks for your input...I may just try out a few of these places. Store up for the upcoming Monsoon hibernation period.

Cheers!

Senor Pico's is not on Sukhumvit; it's in the Rembrandt Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 18. I agree, it's the best (but also the most expensive) in Bangkok. But don't get your hopes up too high; if this restaurant were anywhere in the US it would be laughed out of town.

I will be heading to Bkk soon for some electronics shopping and I would like to know where some, if any, high quality mexican restaurants can be found.  The last time I had mexi in Bkk I was thouroughly disappointed (forgot the name of the rest.).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh....How about a good steak restaurant with BBQ sauce?  None of this Pepper sauce crap.  Anybody know a good BBQ steak house in Bkk?

Cheers.

:D

Welcome to BBK.

Try Mexico, :o they may have some….me think… sorry, Kan not help you with that one in BKK. :D Try some Thai food, heard that is very spicy… :D

Tony Roma’s on Sukumvit near soi 5 to 7 me think for BBQ baby back beef ribs… :D

Welcome to BBK.

Try Mexico, :D they may have some….me think… sorry, Kan not help you with that one in BKK. :D Try some Thai food, heard that is very spicy… :D

Tony Roma’s on Sukumvit near soi 5 to 7 me think for BBQ baby back beef ribs… :D

Thanks for the insight. Very practical.

Thai food...remind me...do you mean spring rolls? Those aren't spicy.

um...Mexico...? Whose has the time to go to Mexico? And who can find it, all tucked away up there.

So, BBQ ribs huh? No quite what I'm looking for...but I hear Naritiwat or Pattani has the best baby back pork ribs. Must be the sauce. I highly recommend it. If you do make it to the South, and order some ribs, just mention that you are a staunch supporter of Thaksin, and they'll give ya a discount.

Good luck. :o

Senor Pico's is not on Sukhumvit; it's in the Rembrandt Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 18. I agree, it's the best (but also the most expensive) in Bangkok. But don't get your hopes up too high; if this restaurant were anywhere in the US it would be laughed out of town.

First, it's a US franchise and second, I disagree. At least where I am (south FL) Senor Pico's would easily compete with the americanized Mex-restaurants.

Funny thing is, I can't believe that Chili's is even mentioned in a thread about mex food. Sure, they have fajitas on the menu but that is about as mexican as it gets... :o

Funny thing is, I can't believe that Chili's is even mentioned in a thread about mex food. Sure, they have fajitas on the menu but that is about as mexican as it gets... :o

This is thread about mexican food in Thailand (could be Asia in general), you take what you can get.

The best I have found is Cha-Cha-Cha's in Holland village in Singapore. Singapore does have a couple of Taco Bell's. If you want a real laugh, try the Taco Bell in Shanghai.

TH

I'm desperate here.  Is there even a Chilli's there?  Even suburban mall tex-mex food will suffice as long as its better than the mexi food found here in Phuket and elsewhere in the South.

Mexican (tex-mex or whatever) is not real big in Asia. Have tried several places in Bangkok and was very disappointed. Have not tried Senor Picos, but reports are not encouraging.

Nearest Chilli’s is KL airport. Might be worth a quick flight, you don't even have to go through immigration. There is also one in KLCC.

For steak, you might try Outback Steak House. Used to one in SCB Plaza (HQ for Siam Commercial Bank). Stay away from Sizzler.

TH

What's with Chili's, then?

KLIA and KLCC are lousy, as is the one in Abu Dhabi, near Ally Pally (AlAin Palace Hotel). Do not reckon the food at all - wouldn't call it any kind of Mex.

KLIA and KLCC are lousy, as is the one in Abu Dhabi, near Ally Pally (AlAin Palace Hotel). Do not reckon the food at all - wouldn't call it any kind of Mex.

Thank you for your constructive post. I glad I gave you an opportunity to mention that you have been to Abu Dhabi and can describe in such detail the exact location of the Chilli's there.

Never claimed Chilli’s was great. But I will say it is the best fajita's I have found in Asia (other then the ones I make at home!).

The thread is about Mexican food in Thailand. I sort of broadened it to include anywhere in Asia. If you have found great (or even decent) Mexican food, in any form, in Asia, please post.

TH

The thread is about Mexican food in Thailand. I sort of broadened it to include anywhere in Asia.  If you have found great (or even decent) Mexican food, in any form, in Asia, please post. 

TH

Actually, I believe this post that I started was about Mexican food in Bangkok.

Oh....How about a good steak restaurant with BBQ sauce? None of this Pepper sauce crap. Anybody know a good BBQ steak house in Bkk?

Outback Steakhouse is in the Siam Discovery Centre under the Asia books store.

Personally for barbecued stuff I quite like Steak Lao (although I prefer the pork to the beef). However, it's not barbecue like you'd get in the US. i.e. It's in chopstick-easy chunks.

Mexican food rest.. has been discuss before, the answer was there is none in bangkok that is worthy, my search for a good mexican food has stop month ago, been to almost every one of them that is recommended and all have fail badly, only one answer was some guy in phuket (not sure where he say he was living) could cook up a mean bad asss mexican meal :o

Mexican food rest.. has been discuss before, the answer was there is none in bangkok that is worthy, my search for a good mexican food has stop month ago, been to almost every one of them that is recommended and all have fail badly, only one answer was some guy in phuket (not sure where he say he was living) could cook up a mean bad asss mexican meal :o

Agreed, Chingy - haven't found anywhere for Mexican food - only Casa Mexicana in HK for the Margaritas and party atmosphere.

Just a thought but you might try the Silver Dollar in Washington Square. If Ned is still there, he serves pretty fair Tex-Mex.

In Pattaya, try the Moonshine Place in Jomtien or the Blue Parrott on Soi Pattayaland I. Another is the Tequilla Reef on Soi 7 but not real Tex-Mex there.

I know where the Chilli's are in Al-Khobar and Bahrain if anybody cares. Both are in Asia. :o