Mexican Anyone?

igotworms

Washington Square is the complex surrounding the old Washington Theater, where the Mambo Cabaret is now located. It is between Sukhumvit 22 and 24 (closer to 22). But don't get your hopes up too high about that Mexican food.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news. I've heard that Charlie Brown's, which serves some of the most passable Tex-Mex in town, but was inconveniently located way out in the sticks, is moving to a new premises on Sukhumvit Soi 11, at the side of the Ambassador Hotel. When it does, this will be your best bet, IMHO.

Just go to El Gordo's Cantina on Silom Soi 8. This is very tasty mexican. And in the area is La Fiesta on Silom Soi 1. You wont be disappointed with either one.

For steaks try Sydney Harbour Grill right on Sukhumvit around Soi 11-13 i think.

I lived in Mexico for several years, and spent my childhood split between southern Texas and southern California, so I'm pretty picky about cocina mexicana.

That said, I'm in PvtDick's camp. El Gordo's the worst I've had, I couldn't tell that it was Mexican food at all except for the names on the menu. And Senor Pico's of Los Angeles (that's the full name, not the location) is the best you can get in Bangkok. It's not Mexico City quality, not even up to San Antonio, Texas, standards, but if you gotta have Mexican it'll do. Be sure to go with several other people so you can try a variety of dishes. Not every dish is good, but the ones they do well they do just fine.

Anyone remember Tia Maria's out Sukhumvit years ago? Better than Gordo's but not by much.

Elgordos has the best sizzling fajitas in BKK. And it sure beats Tex/mex by the mambo cabaret. There u share a bowl with the local muts rolling the streets. I think Tia Maria was on soi 26 and has closed.

How about just going to TGI Fridays. They have good fajitas there as well.

TGI Friday's is no more in Thailand.

The Ploenchit location reopened as San Franz, using the same decor and with a very similar (exactly the same??) menu. Food is decent and is on both the Room Service and Food by Phone menus.

I think Tia Maria was on soi 26 and has closed.

Wrong on both counts. It is on the soi that runs between Sukhumvit 23 and 31, just down from Narcissus/Pegasus. And it is still open (drove by a couple days ago). Not that it's worth going out of your way for...

Do I take it from the tone of this thread that there is a dire lack of decent Mexican food in BKK?

I am just buying a small restaurant in Sukhamvit (some business for my GF), and I'm currently pondering as to what sort of food I should offer. (Yes I know it would be better to sort that important point out before I part with my money, but it seemed a good deal at the time...)

So if I come up with tasty Mexican food, can I put you all down for a regular 3 nights each week?? :o

Curious about mexican food in supermarkets. back home in oz used to be able to buy do it yourself taco or burrito pack, , but never been able to find them in Carrefour, Tops, or TescoLotus, anyone know if u can buy them here ?

Also advice on where to get good Homus ? not mexican i know but still makes my mouth drool :o

Best Middle Eastern food in Bangkok by a mile -- in my humble (but educated, having spent time in Lebanon) opinion -- Moody's, on Sukhumvit 5. In the short dead-end sub-soi just opposite Foodland. The real deal.

At Villa and other markets catering to farangs, you can often find taco shells, taco mixes, salsa, etc.

Baan Suan Sawaan in Chiang Mai has the best Mexican food I've had, and I'm from California.... :o

Oh, and Baan Suan Sawaan is my house.. :D

Seriously, Thailand has any ingredient needed to make your Mexican food at home. I've trained my housekeeper to cook like a Mexican... :D

I've never run across a gringo who could make it taste like the real thing

Silly Boy, it's the ingredients and prep, not nationality... :D