Multi-ministry drive to open up Thailand to foreign tourism by October 1st, tourism minister

webfact

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Another pipe-dream, most other countries are suffering more than Thailand, more are out of work or on a budget because of reduced working hours or worse redundancy, holidays are the last thing on their minds.

Thailands documentation mountain to get here for one is off putting, insurance policies that are difficult to gain if affordable by singles let alone a family. 

Quarantine for 14 days on arrival, tracking after that and possible quarantine on arrival back home.

It's one thing opening up, but expecting anyone to come is an entirely a different matter.

Going on holiday abroad quite consistently ranks as number two on

people’s wish list of things to do after the corona crisis. Meeting family and friends ranks as number one. 

'Travel bubble', schemes for domestic tourism, special cards for expats, this (as well as all the other ideas before). just one farcical idea after another. New Zealand looked as though they had the virus under control then suddenly more new cases and the north in lock down again. The world still has problems and people in many countries suffering from job loss yet Thailand officials insist on 'restarting' tourism.

Instead of wasting time sitting at their desks coming out with ridiculous ideas, why don't these officials use this time to tour their country and provide help wherever possible to those who desperately need it. No, I guess not...bit too much like hard work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

then allowed to roam with a special wrist band attached

.....Which gives you an electric shock if you get within 2 metres of a bar girl...555.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

Really  is  a sad  joke  

The  cost  and inconvenience  to  come to Thailand is crazy

USA  $ 100,000  insurance  14  days  self piad  Q   ...return   14  days  self  paid  Q  .... 

Really   is not worth the  trouble.

Besides   how do you fly there? most  countries  have no  flights  for a long long time  

Unless  by foreigners   they mean Chinese   ....Lol

4  weeks  holiday  gone   hahahaha   the  bloody idiots

Dream on .... just  become a provence of  China  and be done with it ..then  all your  money  worries  are  over 

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am waiting for the day when Thailand can go for an entire week without doing a back-flip on its policy. We have had every scenario possible suggested over the past few weeks. I wonder what restrictions they will be planning for the lucky travelers who are obviously queuing already to kick the door down to get in?

Queuing, as in already bought a ticket for a destination that there are no inbound international flights allowed? Really, yes I know yur post was sarcastic.  This group of people need to look after the first of the year if they actually expect tourists to come here.  There is a certain amount of planning that goes into a trip.  However, Tat just thinks that people make reservations at the last minute and take vacation time without it being approved with there companies.  Most folks I know have to schedule out there vacation blocks 6 months to a year in advance...That is where the planning comes in. 

• Like 1

I can't wait for Thailand to become the tub (sic) of world tourism on October 1st. One of the problems these worthy ministries (and the hundreds off sub committees that they will create) will face is that since Thailand now has no coronavirus infection, any single tourist can turn the whole country into some dystopian space like America with corona lurking in every place. 

Personally I liked the idea that someone posted the other day....and that was to make the quarantine period the holiday....so hotels spend some dough and do an "all in" 3 meals a day, free booze, etc....no need to leave the hotel as it has everything you need.  

I see Bali tried to open up and couldn't for various reasons. 

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Queuing, as in already bought a ticket for a destination that there are no inbound international flights allowed? Really, yes I know yur post was sarcastic.  This group of people need to look after the first of the year if they actually expect tourists to come here.  There is a certain amount of planning that goes into a trip.  However, Tat just thinks that people make reservations at the last minute and take vacation time without it being approved with there companies.  Most folks I know have to schedule out there vacation blocks 6 months to a year in advance...That is where the planning comes in. 

Planning 6 months in advance, I normally get bored and book something, then go.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rockbottom said:

If they DO open Oct. 1, then extend the amnesty for foreigners already in country to help the fledgling Thai economy before it looks worse than 1997. 

This was just something the minister of Tourism and Sports came up with because of desperation. They have no working plan what so ever. The travel bubbles are binned by the PM. 

• Like 1

Bubbles, twin countries, I think it will just fail again.

I think their best bet would be to aim for long-stay tourists, those who have time and money to spend and want to visit Thailand. Others simply won't be willing and able to quarantine. Snow birds and the likes, but it might already be too late to open for them as they tend to book well in advance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

This was just something the minister of Tourism and Sports came up with because of desperation. They have no working plan what so ever. The travel bubbles are binned by the PM. 

It's tough decision that these emerging and third world countries face with tourism and keeping the borders closed. The economics will deem it necessary to open up sooner rather than later, but their health systems might not cope. No casual tourist is going to put up with a 2 week quarantine, so testing on arrival and again a few days later is the sensible approach.

9 hours ago, JoePai said:

As long as they are quarantined properly I can see no problem

Who's gonna go on holiday to spend a week or two in quarantine? Quite expensive, and also that alcohol is banned in the official places in Thailand. I would think there will be much better & cheaper options elsewhere.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Pipat's Ministry of Tourism and Sports and those representing transport, health, foreign affairs and the interior will be meeting on August 27th to iron out what Pipat called a "new approach".

Without CAAT involved, it's all just a load of hot air.

Thailand, the new hub of quarantine holidays. Spend a relaxing 2 weeks in a hotel room on your own then fly home refreshed and rejuvenated with a bunch of orchids and a wooden elephant.

The perfect detox sabbatical retreat holiday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Covid-19 can’t be treated as if it has a 100% fatality rate when the real rates are significantly lower and closer to regular influenza. 

So it's just the flu!Good to see you finally agree with me Yinn.If it's closer to the regular flu why are people who don't wear masks idiots then?Why does Thailand and the rest of the world flatten the economy trying to flatten the curve to save the most vulnerable,which hasn't really worked as since the west puts it's older and more vulnerable all together in aged care facilities where the virus has decimated them if it's closer to the regular flu?Food for thought.

I think that this virus has been through Thailand from Nov to March when there were high counts of viral pneumonia deaths of unexplained causes,if so then Thailand has probably now attained herd immunity without realising it.Thus Thailand would in fact be one of the safest places to be and visit.A good antibody study might go a long way to showing this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, theWTD said:

Funny how they are trying to get new tourists to visit, but are not keen to keep the few ones that remain and are happy to stay and help keep at least a little tourism alive.  Why not extend the Amnesty?  

A few remaining tourists is not going to do much, they needs millions coming in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I think that this virus has been through Thailand from Nov to March when there were high counts of viral pneumonia deaths of unexplained causes,if so then Thailand has probably now attained herd immunity without realising it.Thus Thailand would in fact be one of the safest places to be and visit.A good antibody study might go a long way to showing this.

"Too expensive" was the answer when asked about antibody testing (Plipat @ FCCT interview, IIRC ).