Staff arrested by police

stevenl

One of my staff has been arrested by police, and will most likely spend 2 months in jail, drugs possession. Now I was not happy with her, but due to several reasons could not build up a case to fire her.

Would this jail time, therefor absence of work, be a reason to legally fire her, without having to pay compensation?

• Sad 1

Thanks guys.

I don't think there will be courtcase, but there are some complications: she is living in an apartment on top of the shop, with access via the shop, she is my wife's daughter (who wants to get rid of her as well), she is the one who has been taking care of social security, we (my wife and myself) are taking care of her kids (legally).

With personal and business mixed up this is all tricky.

But thanks, I now know the legalities to take care of this. Will see how to sort this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, LeoCesar said:

Write a letter to her and demand a drug test provided by you at a certain time, if she fails that test or doesnt show up, use it against her to fire her.

Thanks, but firing her for not showing up seems the easier solution.

If you look at my post #11 I intend not to do anything for the moment.

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

I have decided to leave things for the moment as they are. In the future it will be up to mother and daughter to sort things out.

Personally I think that is the best solution in this situation, good luck.

On 8/19/2020 at 11:25 AM, stevenl said:

Would this jail time, therefor absence of work, be a reason to legally fire her, without having to pay compensation?

Was she arrested during work hours or on the way to/from work ? That would be important. If yes, you can do it without any doubt. 

Edited by The Theory