Thailand’s New Land and Building Tax Act 2020 - Tax assessment Notice?

It is often mentioned that residential properties particularly houses used as sole residency attract no tax. Last year my parents property was assessed at 49.75 square meters. Could not figure out the reason. Took us a while to realise that the assessment was the 2 car garage and storage room at the bottom of the garden which is a separate structure from the house. Sure enough we measured the floor area and it is 49.75 sm. The bill just came and it is 343 baht to pay.

Edited by Big Joke
spelling

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 8:04 PM, donx said:

As far as my wife knows, no notice was ever sent to her for either the townhouse or the vacant land. I'm hoping that the Krabi government office assumes her townhouse is exempt and thus no tax is due. But I don't understand why there wasn't a notice for the vacant land. And what about all the farm land that her friends and family own? Isn't there a new tax on that as well? I find it very strange that of all the Thais my wife knows in the US and in Thailand that this topic about the new tax hasn't been discussed.

Vacant land has quite the penalty.. its 0.3% of assessed value rising 0.3% per annum until it reaches a max of 3% per year !! I have no idea on what our local land office currently looks at assessed land value but market value is going 2 - 3 mil.. Our 5 rai plot is then in theory due a tax of as much as 45k per annum, going up 45k a year until its 300k ???? yeah I can see all the locals paying that one !! 

We have received no notice whatsoever, tho to be fair how would they know our address ?? However I know the land office do have my wifes details as shes been pestered by agents looking to buy our land or match a buyer and they claim to have got the number from the land office. 

I know other farangs in the village, who get led around by the nose by thier wives, whose wives have been straight down to get the bills and given them to the farang ATM.. Mine has decided to just stay schtum and play dumb and see what happens, the smart guys planted bananas or similar as then its a trivial nothing tax. 

I know this tax was announced, delayed, announced again.. I am wondering if COVID economy will effect it.. etc etc.. 

Has anyone with vacant land, been given any demand they didnt go and ask for themselves?? 

On 8/23/2020 at 12:48 PM, chilly07 said:

Yes we received a notice from City Hall a couple of months ago. No estimated value or assessed liability yet. If it's anything like the previous property tax eventually they will search chanotes at the land office and anything quoting a rent will be assumed to be a second home and taxed. Lots of second homes will be transferred to relatives and no tax collected. As always farang will be an easy target.

How do chanotes quote a rent?