Translated Documents To Support UK Spouse Visa

I'm continuing my wife's application for UK spouse visa and we have sent three Thai documents to be translated to English including marrriage certificate, wifes previous divorce certificate and tabien bahn for supporting evidence.

The gov website tells me that I will need to provide a Certified Translation of any documents not in English so I sent the documents to a translator who provided the service for us before for a visitior visa.

Although this time the translator mentioned that in some cases she has been asked to provide legalization of the documents to certify a true copy of original and not just to 'certify a translation'.

There is a significant cost difference in obtaining 'legalization' or 'certification of translation' and as I read the gov.uk website it only askes for 'certified translation as can be seen on this page;

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/provide-information 

Information you must provide

You’ll need to have information and some evidence ready when you make your application. Include information for you and any dependants applying at the same time.

You’ll need to provide:

This page links/refers  to;

https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

Scrolling to the bottom of the page provides this information;

Certifying a translation

If you need to certify a translation of a document that’s not written in English or Welsh, ask the translation company to confirm in writing on the translation:

• that it’s a ‘true and accurate translation of the original document’
  • the date of the translation
  • the full name and contact details of the translator or a representative of the translation company

Although there are instructions above this on how to 'Certify a Document' separate to how to 'Certify a Translation' although it is not clear if the documents need to be both 'certified (legalized) as a true copy' AND 'certified as a translation'.

It is open to interpretation and in this case confusing?

If I legalize it will double the cost of the translation service and set us back another week. I think I will simply provide the 'certified translation', does anyone else have any views about this requirement?

I’ve always had them signed off by the translater, using a firm near Chidlom BTS, they’ve always certified their translation, I’ve never once had any legalized, which isn’t a requirement.

All the translator is doing is certifying their work, they’re all well versed in the requirements. 

44 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I’ve always had them signed off by the translater, using a firm near Chidlom BTS, they’ve always certified their translation, I’ve never once had any legalized, which isn’t a requirement.

All the translator is doing is certifying their work, they’re all well versed in the requirements. 

I've done same from a translation company in Mahatun Plaza near Ploenchit BTS. They add their stamp to the translations and that was always good enough for UK Visa applications (recently approved - June 2020). We had a ton of docs done at 8k THB. Got the visa so happy.

I'm just starting out on the same process and was about to ask the same question, so this was perfect for me. 

NightSky is there any chance you could add a list of the documents you added to your application? It would be a massive help to me.

On 8/27/2020 at 4:57 AM, zumm said:

I'm just starting out on the same process and was about to ask the same question, so this was perfect for me. 

NightSky is there any chance you could add a list of the documents you added to your application? It would be a massive help to me.

hi they key is having back up for as many of the questions in the application.

wifes passports x3 including 3 UK visit visas. (illustrates the good travel history)

A letter of invitation from myself

proof of where shes been living for the past 3 years

proof that i have been sponsoring her while living in dubai (its on the visa)

birth certificate and british passport of our baby

english IELTS test A1

TB TEST

Housing inspection in the UK report

letter from my father inviting to live in his property.

title deeds

financial(v important)

i was doing it on salary from out of the country.

Therefore: salary certifcate from my previous job

payslips

12 months stamped bank statements

screenshots of facebook throughout our relationship

evidence of real wedding not just signing in chaeng wattana

a couple of chats like 'ive just put the dinner on etc' :)

Im sure there was more stuff but thats what I remember off the top of my head.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:35 PM, dubai thai farang said:

hi they key is having back up for as many of the questions in the application.

wifes passports x3 including 3 UK visit visas. (illustrates the good travel history)

A letter of invitation from myself

proof of where shes been living for the past 3 years

proof that i have been sponsoring her while living in dubai (its on the visa)

birth certificate and british passport of our baby

english IELTS test A1

TB TEST

Housing inspection in the UK report

letter from my father inviting to live in his property.

title deeds

financial(v important)

i was doing it on salary from out of the country.

Therefore: salary certifcate from my previous job

payslips

12 months stamped bank statements

screenshots of facebook throughout our relationship

evidence of real wedding not just signing in chaeng wattana

a couple of chats like 'ive just put the dinner on etc' ????

Im sure there was more stuff but thats what I remember off the top of my head.

Thanks for the info. I really do appreciate it. I'm just trying to get as much up to date info on it at the moment so things like this are incredibly helpful. 

14 hours ago, zumm said:

Thanks for the info. I really do appreciate it. I'm just trying to get as much up to date info on it at the moment so things like this are incredibly helpful. 

My other advice is spend as much time as possible getting eveerything together. Ie I spent 2/3 months getting everything together. I had a bit of time in hand before we needed to apply, so therefore just slowly start requesting the info and collating it. If you end up rushing you might cut corners, miss out some documents etc. There is no need to pay an agent 1200 pounds to do it as long as you understand the financial part. (having 65000 quid for minimum 6 months consecutively) in the bank is the easiest route.) Under what rules will you be applying?

2 hours ago, dubai thai farang said:

There is no need to pay an agent 1200 pounds to do it as long as you understand the financial part. (having 65000 quid for minimum 6 months consecutively) in the bank is the easiest route.) Under what rules will you be applying?

The OP  has stated that he’s preparing a UK Settlement Visa for his wife, there are financial requirements but they can be met by income or by savings of £62,500, or a combination of both.

On 8/30/2020 at 9:38 AM, theoldgit said:

The OP  has stated that he’s preparing a UK Settlement Visa for his wife, there are financial requirements but they can be met by income or by savings of £62,500, or a combination of both.

Thanks but I was responding to 'zumm" who was asking about which documents he should present.

I have finally collated the documents, managed to upload them to the VFS Global terrible website and we went to provide Biometric details yesterday. 

A few observations were..

I don't know how VFS Global get away with such a poorly operating website to collect documents. It drastically requires upgrading.

My second observation is that Trendy building was so quiet. There were about 2 people in the queue in front of us at the VFS office and we were in an out within 45 minutes.

My wife was told she should receive a response within 60 days (we were planning for the 12 weeks) so hopefully it must be quiet at the moment due to coronavirus.

Anyone wanting to travel to UK now is a great time really to beat queues etc.

Thank you for the help and input from members in these threads so far. We are now awaiting the decision.

17 hours ago, NightSky said:

I have finally collated the documents, managed to upload them to the VFS Global terrible website and we went to provide Biometric details yesterday. 

A few observations were..

I don't know how VFS Global get away with such a poorly operating website to collect documents. It drastically requires upgrading.

My second observation is that Trendy building was so quiet. There were about 2 people in the queue in front of us at the VFS office and we were in an out within 45 minutes.

My wife was told she should receive a response within 60 days (we were planning for the 12 weeks) so hopefully it must be quiet at the moment due to coronavirus.

Anyone wanting to travel to UK now is a great time really to beat queues etc.

Thank you for the help and input from members in these threads so far. We are now awaiting the decision.

Hi, you might get the reply sooner. My wife attended the biometrics appointment on 17/7 and we received the visa last week. 3/4 others who applied on the 17th also received their approved visas in the same week. approx 27 working days

Archived