Thailand in top 3 of World’s most avid readers, apparently ????

Snackbar

World Reading Habits latest ‘survey’ claims the average Thai citizen reads more than any other being on Earth, except an Indian.

This isn’t Thai bashing, this is a topic of serious interest and influences ‘Life Long Learning’ of which the Government spends 5% of gdp, 20% of annual expenditure and has had 21 Education Ministers in 20 years. 

Look deeper and Thailand‘s 15 year old international students are in the 4th division of English proficiency ‘reading’ ranked 66 of 78. OECD member countries by The Program for International Student Assessment (PISA).

I’m a uni language teacher and my students are collection of mainly A1 and a minority B1, despite my institution recommendation to teach at B1-B2 level. 

Each English language course is equally divided into Listening & Speaking, reading and grammar. The students accept the content but display little respect for reading. 

For example a reading lesson has clear instructions to ‘read’ an email and generate and answer obvious ‘critical thinking’ questions.

The propensity of the majority is to ignore the instructions, ‘Read the email’ and instead attempt to answer the question.

Of course TIT and attempt to answer translates into asking a friend for the ‘correct’ answer. 

Weird isn’t it?

Show them a video of the Aesop Fabel, ‘The Hare and The Tortoise‘ Ask them

Who wins the race the hare or the tortoise and why?

The universal answer is.

The Turtle wins. 

Clear evidence that.

They knew part of the answer without taking the 5 seconds required to read the question carefully. 

Although their answer is incorrect, we know there isn’t a turtle in the race, they display enthusiasm and understanding but completely miss the point.

Fascinating.

To complete this little tale, some students like reading and display admirable qualities in other areas. Where as those students reluctant to read tend to have excuses for late or incomplete work, are absent more often, are unhealthier, hospital appointments, disorganised and generally lower in productivity than their bookworm peers.

Where’s the connection?

Sorry for any errors, typos etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I've never seen a Thai reading a book.

Here's the reason.

This book is in a "sale", take a look at the price:

image.png.3388f77fe4b4211f8696b5e12ed6b02e.png

Nearly half a days minimum wage, in Thailand, for what is a fairly thin paperback.

Would you pay the equivalent percentage, in the UK, of a UK days minimum wage, which would be about £30.00, for a copy?

How about paying nearly 70% (£47.00+) of UK minimum daily wage for this?:

image.png.247da8c12b196ba354e0ca89a24cd053.png

And where are the libraries in Thailand?

Pricing and placing literature and worthwhile learning out of reach of the majority is all part of the plan.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Here's the reason.

Over half a days minimum wage, in Thailand, for what is a fairly thin paperback.

Would you pay, in the UK, over half a UK days minimum wage, which would be over £34.00, for a copy?

Pricing and placing literature and worthwhile learning out of reach of the majority is all part of the plan.

While you might see a Thai holding a book as a political protest.

I doubt many of them have ever read it (not enough pictures).

I don't know anyone who buys books these days, all downloaded free from the usual sites.

I read a book every couple of days, since the internet got going, I've not bought any.

Maybe the headline is right, and Thais are the only people left buying lots of books because all the English speakers download, which doesn't add to the sales figures.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snackbar said:

Have you taken an interest in what they read?

I have asked about the books they read. The first, a woman, reads mostly the Thai romance novels. The other, a man, reads a lot of science fiction and what would best be described as mystery novels, but his reading crosses a lot of genres.

• Like 1

It’s a democracy, every voice has value. B2S is an office stationary retailer. Part of OfficeMate co.

2 million is 3% of the population.

BTW. Some people have morals.

Edited by Snackbar
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 10:14 PM, geriatrickid said:

Yes, the Thais many of you encounter do not read hard copy books. Have you considered that this characteristic is a reflection of their socio economic status? Why is it a surprise to some that the shop girls, beer bar prostitutes etc., they associate with are not readers? 

Associate with different people and you will discover that yes, indeed millions of Thais do read books. This is why every major shopping mall has a large bookstore. Honestly, some of the comments on this thread are ignorant.

How do you think a retailer like B2S has grown and prospered in Thailand? It has 100+ stores and is in every major retail mall. It also has a strategic partnership with MEB (Ranked as one of Thailand's largest e-book platforms with 2 million+ active users.)  

I would say the same thing.

"beer bar prostitutes" lol -  that could offend some that call them bar girls. It's socially acceptable for expats to marry a bar girl. 

On 8/19/2020 at 9:33 PM, Enoon said:

Here's the reason.

Nearly half a days minimum wage, in Thailand, for what is a fairly thin paperback.

Would you pay the equivalent percentage, in the UK, of a UK days minimum wage, which would be about £30.00, for a copy?

How about paying nearly 70% (£47.00+) of UK minimum daily wage for this?:

image.png.247da8c12b196ba354e0ca89a24cd053.png

Ever noticed how many Thais drive BMW or Benz? Care to work out how much these are of a minimum daily wage? Even rich people in the UK wouldn't pay 100% tax on their BMW.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:14 PM, geriatrickid said:

Yes, the Thais many of you encounter do not read hard copy books. Have you considered that this characteristic is a reflection of their socio economic status? Why is it a surprise to some that the shop girls, beer bar prostitutes etc., they associate with are not readers? 

Would point out both Thai women I lived with were university graduates (as well as hookers), neither read books.

Nor did their pals who frequently had study sessions in my home (as far as I could see).

My Thai stepdaughter, one term away from graduation, doesn't read books, nor do her friends (all mostly virgins).

Obviously I don't include course books, where generally one or two of the girls would read and do the work, with everyone else copying.

On the other hand, I'm reading books for pleasure every day, so it's not as if they don't have an example to follow.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:03 PM, Paiman said:

Same same, never seen a Thai reading.

Only once in a while they will grab a little Buddha leaflet and stare at a page for a while.

Maybe change your social circles. I often go to the RBSC where there is a reading room. The Royal Bangkok Sports Club - Other Services

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out both Thai women I lived with were university graduates (as well as hookers), neither read books.

Nor did their pals who frequently had study sessions in my home (as far as I could see).

My Thai stepdaughter, one term away from graduation, doesn't read books, nor do her friends (all mostly virgins).

Obviously I don't include course books, where generally one or two of the girls would read and do the work, with everyone else copying.

On the other hand, I'm reading books for pleasure every day, so it's not as if they don't have an example to follow.

May I point out that you, and your paid gfs are not normal Thais. This post says a lot about you.

Just now, Neeranam said:

Maybe change your social circles. I often go to the RBSC where there is a reading room. 

Ahhhhh yes, adults reading magazines and comics are obviously avid readers.

30 seats and 3 people, obviously a result of the COVID restrictions.

It'd be full at any other time.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1