2020 BKK CW Retirement Extension trip report

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did my annual retirement extension via 800K bank deposit letter and accompanying re-entry permit today at BKK CW Immigration, with a trip report of the various details to follow here.   Reti

TRAVEL RELATED ISSUES:   This year was very different regarding travel out to BKK CW, because for the first time in my renewal cycle, the BTS has now opened their further northward extension

A very comprehensive and helpful set of posts.   Thank you for your effort, I am sure your posts will be appreciated by many.

Posted Images

Thank you for the comprehensive post.  I will be getting my stuff in order and have scheduled my appointment two months from now.  Hopefully nothing changes after September 26th to hinder my 1st Retirement extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Also... regarding my list above of requirements for the retirement extension, I should have added the additional health insurance requirement for those on O-A visas or extensions of stay based on original (even long-ago) O-A visas -- a requirement that doesn't apply to any other visa classes right now.

image.png.a0f4ee460d6a919ca41b68e74394a860.png

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

So retirement visas are still being dealt with at CW and NOT at Mong Thong Thani?

Is there such a thing as a multiple entry O visa? Or does one have to separately apply for the re-entry permit. I thought I heard the woman at Counter J mention a multiple entry visa, as I was enquiring about switching.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, uncleP said:

I did my 90 day at CW 4. weeks ago. Was rammed. Has it changed since?

I believe they shifted the 90-day reporting to Muang Thong Thani around July 13 onward. No more 90 day reporting in-person at BKK CW right now.

From my visit to BKK CW today, it certainly was overall less crowded because of the absence of the whole 90-day reporting contingent... though still lots of people in general... Made a bit better by those taking advantage of the online appointment scheduling option, which allows you to avoid the queues entirely.

At MTT, today midday, I had about an hour wait in queue just to do my in-person 90-day report because I hadn't made an online appointment for that piece of my business...

One problem with the online appointments system is, just for example, you can easily use it for an extension of stay appointment that's your first piece of business for the day.... But even so, you never know quite how long that's going to take...waiting to finally get your stamped passport back...

And so that makes then pre-scheduling an appointment for your 2nd or 3rd pieces of business (like a re-entry permit or a 90-day report) more difficult, because you're never quite sure going in whether you'll be able to get to those latter pieces reasonably on-time.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

So retirement visas are still being dealt with at CW and NOT at Mong Thong Thani?

Correct!  

Annual extensions of stay and annual re-entry permits at BKK CW...

In-person 90-day reports and various other things at MTT...

976468744_MTTImmigrationGraphic2.jpg.73655d409b2162c5b1c2b05fdf9a8e9c.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Also... regarding my list above of requirements for the retirement extension, I should have added the additional health insurance requirement for those on O-A visas or extensions of stay based on original (even long-ago) O-A visas -- a requirement that doesn't apply to any other visa classes right now.

image.png.a0f4ee460d6a919ca41b68e74394a860.png

CW have previously been reported on here as adopting an extremely pedantic attitude towards the handling of retirement extension applications by those to whom the mandatory health insurance requirement applies, even to the extent of insisting on the relevant policy coming into force at exactly 4.30pm on the current permission to stay expiry date before being prepared to grant an extension! Have they, in the light of your experience, now rolled back on this nit-picking stance, particularly in the sense that a retiree subject to this requirement no longer, in practice, needs to leave it until the last minute before being able to apply for his next retirement extension, meaning that he can now lodge an application in advance (even if not by as much as the normal 45 days in CW’s case)?

Also, does the unexpected further 9-day extension to your current permission to stay date now mean that this is no longer in sync with your insurance policy expiry date, thus meaning possible difficulties for you this time next year?

20 hours ago, OJAS said:

CW have previously been reported on here as adopting an extremely pedantic attitude towards the handling of retirement extension applications by those to whom the mandatory health insurance requirement applies, even to the extent of insisting on the relevant policy coming into force at exactly 4.30pm on the current permission to stay expiry date before being prepared to grant an extension! Have they, in the light of your experience, now rolled back on this nit-picking stance, particularly in the sense that a retiree subject to this requirement no longer, in practice, needs to leave it until the last minute before being able to apply for his next retirement extension, meaning that he can now lodge an application in advance (even if not by as much as the normal 45 days in CW’s case)?

Also, does the unexpected further 9-day extension to your current permission to stay date now mean that this is no longer in sync with your insurance policy expiry date, thus meaning possible difficulties for you this time next year?

Fortunately in my case, my original visa class isn't an O-A, so I'm not subject to the health insurance requirement associated with that. Thus unfortunately, can't shed any light on how BKK CW is handling that these days.... Though I've seen the same kind of member reports you're referencing above.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But I never had the several junk statement forms ahead of time... So the officer every year would matter of factly hand those over to me to fill out, as she was busy doing her stamping and checking and shuffling, etc etc... So I always assumed that was the normal manner of doing such things....  But that leisurely approach apparently isn't flying with the appointments officer lady, at least not the one I drew yesterday... So be forewarned!!!

Don't worry. Next year they'll be harping on the fact that you dared to fill them out while not doing so in their presence and issue you with new blank ones to fill out while you sit there.

• Haha 2