2020 BKK CW Retirement Extension trip report

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So on a fixed deposit account that's fixed for a year period of time and then you let it roll over for another year, how do you add money to it outside of the annual date to show activity on the account, unless the activity is a monthly interest deposit the bank makes to the account.  Kind of confused on this aspect.

you can add funds at any time with (i believe) a minimum of 2000 baht.  unsure how interest on added funds is calculated, or if it's calculated outside of the fixed period.  can be done inside the bank, or transferred online from a savings account if you have your fixed account added to your online accounts.  can be withdrawn at any time as well (in person only i believe), although with a loss of pending interest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Bangkok Bank at Chaengwattana gives you the bank letter immediately. The last two times, I've just walked up to the first clerk available, asked for the letter, did the mandatory transaction, and was finished in less than five minutes.

-delete-

Edit:  Sorry see others have questioned this need.  B/F entry was all that required in June and indeed only about 5 minutes required.

Edited by lopburi3

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So that's part of the reason I took the added step of scanning and posting the PDF files for the various "statement" forms above... so folks can more easily have them and complete them ahead of time...especially for the appointments system.

Regarding the statements you attach in your post (thanks a lot for that !), I have a doubt on how to fill up statement #3. Are you supposed to fill up all the details under your own name, or do you need to use another person as guarantor? It's not so clear to me how to fill up this form? Thanks in advance for your comments on this

RetExtenStatement3.pdf

1 minute ago, messi said:

Regarding the statements you attach in your post (thanks a lot for that !), I have a doubt on how to fill up statement #3. Are you supposed to fill up all the details under your own name, or do you need to use another person as guarantor? It's not so clear to me how to fill up this form? Thanks in advance for your comments on this

RetExtenStatement3.pdf 398.95 kB · 0 downloads

I filled this form with my name and details only and was accepted no problem.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, messi said:

RetExtenStatement3.pdf 398.95 kB · 2 downloads

I get a headache every time I read and try to decipher that form. I don't know any answer for certain.

Except, AFAIK, you just enter your own name and info for everything there. It's not like there's some other party that vouching for you...on this particular form.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I get a headache every time I read and try to decipher that form. I don't know any answer for certain.

Except, AFAIK, you just enter your own name and info for everything there. It's not like there's some other party that vouching for you...on this particular form.

I agree with you, The form is not easy to fill up. I am doing it now and let's see what happens when I submit it next month. Thanks a lot for your great post and all the information you provide as it is extremely helpful !!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I just copied my regular passbook.

I did that one year a few years ago and the IO rejected it saying I had to provide a bank statement for each day (back then 3 months - now I expect it to be 12 months on the next visit).

It seems when my bank KBank updates the book it can sometimes put a cumulative amount of deposits and withdrawals over a period on months into a single line if the book isn't used much, so the IO cannot see what happened on a daily basis. Some others have said they update their bank books at machines once a month to get around this. I don't think I have taken my bank book out the draw and updated it since I last used it for an annual visa extension, and it gets used less in the digital age.

12 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I did that one year a few years ago and the IO rejected it saying I had to provide a bank statement for each day (back then 3 months - now I expect it to be 12 months on the next visit).

It seems when my bank KBank updates the book it can sometimes put a cumulative amount of deposits and withdrawals over a period on months into a single line if the book isn't used much, so the IO cannot see what happened on a daily basis. Some others have said they update their bank books at machines once a month to get around this. I don't think I have taken my bank book out the draw and updated it since I last used it for an annual visa extension, and it gets used less in the digital age.

You will for sure need to show a 12 month bank statement this time to go with your bank letter and passbook (especially if it hasn't been updated regularly as you stated).

The IO will go through the statement with an eagle eye to make sure it hasn't fallen below the required amounts.

Edited by Ajooma

32 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I have my social security and other retirement accounts direct deposited into Bangkok Bank and go up and remove funds every couple of months. So there is plenty of yearly activity going on with my account.

Even though the Immo/CW appointment system solves the early-arrival problem, it does not address the difficulty of the requirement of having the bank passbook up-dated on the day of application to re-extend (i.e., for retirement, using the funds in the bank method).  That is problematic for the (many?) retirees who keep their 800K in a fixed account year-round -- and, therefore, whose bank passbook can only be up-dated by an over-the-counter transaction.

In other words, extenders need to calculate the time it will take to go to their nearest branch to get the account verification letter before proceeding to Immo.  And that might not sync with the appointment system at CW.  So, back of the line, I guess.

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My normal extension should have been extended to Sept 17, 2021... But for for whatever reason, they simply gave me Sept 26, 2021....

It didn't matter for my purposes, just a free extra 9 days.. But it might matter if I was trying to match up the extension period with a health insurance policy cover.

This is also happening at Chiang Mai -- if your one-year extension expires between Aug 1 and Sep 26, your new extension expires Sep 26, 2021. Reported by several folks.

EXCEPT if your renewing a retirement extension based on an OA visa.

I have a retirement extension based on an OA visa, and renewed yesterday at CM. As with previous renewals, the one I got yesterday was "extension of stay permitted up to 12 Sep (in this case 12 Sep 2021). And I presume 12 Sep 2359 hours. Immigration had to fit the new one-year renewal into the one-year validity of the required Thai health insurance. This wasn't exactly a neat fit (see insert), but I don't care -- I'm good to go for another year.

Insurance begins on Sep 12 at 0001 -- but I assume my new extension begins on Sep 13 at 0001(?). And the insurance ends on Sep 12, 2021, at 1630hrs -- leaving me "uninsured" for 7.5 hours. No big deal to me, but glad to see Immigration accommodated this slight mismatch.

This year I paid 11,400bt for the privilege of LMG insurance. But, I was lucky -- because age 75 is the last year you can apply -- and I'm 75! Had I been 76, or older, I haven't the foggiest what I'd be doing now. With borders closed, my only other option was the marriage extension route -- but I needed the US consulate to bless my US marriage license -- and they're closed.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Next year, if I still need LMG, I'll have the privilege of paying 16,800bt for their "service." But, compared to what so many other poor suckers are going thru with trying to stay (or get to) Thailand, I'll not complain.

2046497428_lmgexcerpt.thumb.jpg.626ea3876ca384aef55dc0770fe512cf.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

it does not address the difficulty of the requirement of having the bank passbook up-dated on the day of application to re-extend (i.e., for retirement, using the funds in the bank method). 

Get a Bangkok Bank account. Just stick your passbook into their update machine located next to their ATM machine, at every branch (open 24 hours), balance forward (B/F) prints out on the next line, along with today's date, and all is well. And for heaven's sake, don't make a transaction, as it's not required -- plus it will queer the situation, 'cause your new update passbook balance will be different than the one on the bank letter you got the day before (or 7 days before, if you live in Chiang Mai).

Woops. Just saw you're talking about updating a fixed account. Sorry.

Edited by JimGant
Inability to read correctly

I'd be careful with the bank book update machines too, I won't use them now.  Put my book in one with one page completed and the blank page below, bloody thing 'filled it in' from the top of the first page over typing (and rendering illegible) everything already there, including two months FTT transfers.  Had to resolve it by going to the bank and getting them to print out a page to insert in the book covering the botched up page. So yet another bloody thing added to the check list of things to do / not to do and something else to explain to the IO.  Will likely change to the 800K deposit method next Extension to avoid all this faffing around, or at least, reduce it.

Edited by SooKee

27 minutes ago, JimGant said:

And for heaven's sake, don't make a transaction, as it's not required -- plus it will queer the situation, 'cause your new update passbook balance will be different than the one on the bank letter you got the day before (or 7 days before, if you live in Chiang

This thread is regarding CW.

At CW they want to see activity on day of application. I use FD and savings a/c (same bank). I obtain letter and make deposits down stairs on day attend CW. 

The bank clerk even knows what the money is for as I hand over the deposit money and knows to photocopy the last page of bankbook.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Everybody agree with that? Makes no sense -- so maybe you're right....

Activity yes but all that is required is an entry in your passbook - so if BBL just a machine B/F of previous balance is fine.  IO officer had scanner to make required copy when I did in June.

As mentioned by OP having the plastic on front of desk makes it very hard to hear officer, especially for those of us with less than great hearing.  

27 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Everybody agree with that? Makes no sense -- so maybe you're right....

Absolutely makes no sense if it is a fixed deposit account and has the 800,000 baht or more in it. The bank letter won't match whats now in the book if you add anything. The only activity your bank book should have is a confirming account balance update showing the date of the day of the extension. What do I know, never done it as of yet, but I will in October.

Edited by ThailandRyan

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Then on the way back, if you need to travel from MTT back to BTS Mahathat, that was about a 90 baht taxi trip that took about 35 minutes with a lot of congestion along Chaengwattana Road.

I took a Taxi from CW to Mo Chit (I knew the new extension was closer but I couldn't remember the name of the station save it started with Wat ???? ) - Meter was 113 THB & it took around 20mins... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, somewhat to my surprise, my officer at BKK CW today was handing out an EN translation version of their September 2019 updated rules for retirement extensions. Always surprised when I get anything meaningful from them in their own English translation...

Ret Exten Reqs in EN from Immigration - Sept 2019 version.pdf 512.39 kB · 39 downloads

I'm feeling left out, I didn't have to sign anything (except at the Bank) or get one of these notifications...

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ryan if your doing extension at CW, here is what has always worked for me.

Dont go super early waste of time. Also there is appointment system now.

When arrive go to your bank for letter and make deposit. Then upstairs for your appointment. Easy peasy. 

That's exactly what I did yesterday, but I also went early...

Arrived bank 8:30 am. Was first in queue for their service. Then upstairs to Immigration for a 9:15 appointment. (With Krungsri, that turned out to be cutting things too close. But with BKKB, that timing should be fine...) Got my stamped passport back by 10:15 am... And then on to the re-entry permit on the other side of the room.

The one thing I always aim for when dealing with BKK CW is to get out with the last of my business completed there before the lunch hour break arrives.

The newish appointments system at BKK CW -- as long as you're doing a retirement extension and not the marriage extensions that they're not currently handling via appointment -- makes that a whole lot easier.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's Krungsri (AKA Bank of Ayudhya-yellow)... A friend here I believe told me BKKB's typical time for issuing the deposit letters at BKK CW runs more in the neighborhood of an half hour wait.

It took a couple of minutes (after a 5 min wait for my number to be called) to get my letter from Bangkok Bank stating I had the 800K in the account...  

Maybe takes longer if you using the income method? 

Just now, Mike Teavee said:

It took a couple of minutes (after a 5 min wait for my number to be called) to get my letter from Bangkok Bank stating I had the 800K in the account...  

Maybe takes longer if you using the income method? 

Ya, several other posters here have said BKKB CW is pretty quick for bank deposit letters, with their time estimates varying... But NOBODY said BKKB was taking as long as the standard 45 min time the Krungsri branch is claiming...

• Like 1