Fed up with DTAC. Is AIS better?

soi3eddie

I've had my DTAC number since 2004 and have been pleased with service. Recently I've had a lot of problems using DTAC data for voice calls with WhatsApp, LINE and Skype. The signal often reverts to 3g and calls drop. Seems their signal strength and data rates have diminished. I'm using Galaxy S20 so should be able to access all frequency bands. Typically in Bangkok, Hua Hin and most recently Pattaya. 

I'm thinking about moving to AIS (keep same number) but my question is are they better with signal and frequencies and data strength? Anyone else have any experiences or thoughts?

• Like 1

I recently did exactly that switch. From 1 line of signal to full one by change of SIM.

If your area has no DTAC signal as is unfortunately the case in many places I frequent, AIS will likely be a better choice. If you're unsure, get a prepaid SIM and test it out.

• Thanks 2

I have had same kind problem whit DTAC, drops 3g nowdays really often. And even when try watch internet whit phone its really slow (shows 4g at the time). But what i have notice DTAC have better coverage area in places where i somethimes need phone(in mountains). I have 3 years old iphone, maybe need renew phone also. But in our family it's been wife who have latest phone's lol.

• Thanks 1

I have had the same DTAC number as long as you or a little bit more and generally have been happy with them except on and off for the last few years when they pull this <deleted>.. I am on prepay, but the problem is they are pulling a scam. 4G speed will quickly be throttled down to low speed snail pace making you crazy as they want you to pay more money to get the faster speed. It is a scam to rack in a lot of money as I mainly use the wifi at my home and there is no way same being as the past usage that I used up too much time as they say. If you figure 20,000,000 users subscribe to an additional 7 day boost package at 99 baht, then they are making 280,000,000 baht per day. If half of those do the additional package then it is 140,000,000 baht per day = 4 million dollars. this is their scam and it sucks. I would presume AIS does the same and there is nothing we can do about it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Of course there is something that you can do about it. Subscribe to a 'no slow down' data package, as opposed to one that has a GB limit before it slows down; old style 'unlimited' packages.

Helps if you read the T&C of the package to which you plan to subscribe.

If you need help, describe the amount you currently pay and for what you use data and I'll try to find a suitable match with 'no slow down' internet.

Are you working for them? hahahaha- just joking as bit.

Anyway, it always seems to change at certain times of the year and is very noticeable as I usually always do the same things year in and out for my routine. Even less so now as my travel is grounded, so I am using home wifi 60% more. So don't figure! Thanks for your reach out input.

On 8/20/2020 at 8:01 AM, holy cow cm said:

Are you working for them? hahahaha- just joking as bit.

Anyway, it always seems to change at certain times of the year and is very noticeable as I usually always do the same things year in and out for my routine. Even less so now as my travel is grounded, so I am using home wifi 60% more. So don't figure! Thanks for your reach out input.

Not a problem.

On 8/20/2020 at 12:37 PM, BritManToo said:

Unlimited data and phone calls for 150bht/month (4mbs).

I'm happy enough with AIS.

I was just in their store. they were not offering that.  They did offer til end of this month 10mbs unlimited for 350/mn

• Like 1

Just now, Dart12 said:

I was just in their store. they were not offering that.  They did offer til end of this month 10mbs unlimited for 350/mn

Buy the SIM from their website online.

Register (passport or Thai ID) at the local store when it arrives.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, elgenon said:

how do you find out about it?

Possibly still available for 200 baht per month sans the free calls element. 

Auto-renews for up to six months, as opposed to twelve with the original offer.

Codes may be found somewhere within TV threads. I gave up posting the codes after too many took it for granted.

• Haha 1

Yes, AIS is the best option!

On 8/20/2020 at 4:38 AM, Pilotman said:

AIS are lying, thieving gits, but they are probably the best option around in Thailand.  Apart from the occasions when they have tried to rip me off with their false "promotions", that turn out to be a lot less than I was getting before, at a price increase, they have been reasonably reliable.  I still hate the company.   

What? They are trying to rip you off? Feel free to read the terms and conditions for their offer before you agree to anything. They are always given in english on their website.

Your are acting exactly same like a person blaming the shop for putting the cheapest option in the back.

Edited by Matzzon

34 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I ended up buyong a DTAC package for 200baht/mn with unlimited 10mbs data and Dtac to dtac free calls.  3 month paid upfront. good for one year. (found on Lazada).

You paid 550 baht upfront? I think that SIM claims free calls to all networks.

Also, if it's good for a year and you are here for that long, why not purchase the one year deal for 1400 baht? https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dtac-10mbps-1-i874566303-s1766648653.html

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 11:08 AM, holy cow cm said:

4G speed will quickly be throttled down to low speed snail pace making you crazy as they want you to pay more money to get the faster speed

This is the reason I moved away from dtac. 6pm til 10pm every night the internet was unusable. We called dtac several times and it would improve for that day, then revert back the next. Changed to True after that and have had no issues since. 

• Haha 1

Just now, alien365 said:

This is the reason I moved away from dtac. 6pm til 10pm every night the internet was unusable. We called dtac several times and it would improve for that day, then revert back the next. Changed to True after that and have had no issues since. 

That's a completely different reason....

I live in the middle of nowhere and the dtac signal aint great. However i will never deal with AIS. They are greedy pricks. I use FINN mobile which uses dtacs service. Im on unlimited 4g for about 700b per month. i hotspot and stream netflix and you tube allday while using my phone and while my family use ps4's and laptops all getting wifi from it. Its brilliant!! Ais signal is better but that means nothing to me. 

• Haha 1