Covid-19: "Necessary" app to trace foreign tourists mooted for October

webfact

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

Why not just make them wear a dog collar and leash? There are enough unemployed Thai's to lead the around! Morons!

Shhhh!  Shhhhh!  Criminy man!!! Don't give them any ideas!
Lordy I can see it now.  Another "Protected Job Categories" on the Thai Dept of Labor list:
Foreigner Tourist Walkers

"They also reported that the new app will be used alongside the Thai Elite Card for well-heeled foreigners."

"Heel boy, Heel!"

external-content.duckduckgo_com.jpeg.cb23cb71c7e234b81f586341c43c4e03.jpeg

Edited by connda
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

Can you explain what happens to people like myself who have a smart phone but no data plan? Also often when going out i never think to take my phone.

Im the same, im hoping just like you it will take time but its not hard to take the old phones off the market or unable to connect to a system. True they wont be able to force you to carry one but when you cant buy anything or get anywhere without using a digital id or phone the vast majority will have no choice but to comply, as I said tracking and ability to pay will end up inside the body in the future anyway, a simple nano/holo tattoo is already being touted and the tech already exists. 

We will be able to run for while but there is no longterm hiding for those who will be moving around or trying to operate in society. I wish it were otherwise but its sadly a given now. 

Edited by englishoak

1 hour ago, djayz said:

All fine and good, but how are these chaps going to differentiate between a "tourist" here for a few days/weeks and those of us who have lived here for a decade or longer? Are we going to be forced to install this tracking app too? 

Of course, we are all tourists unless you are a PR. ???? Even their PR is a joke but that's another story.

Edited by kotsak

46 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

self centered and irresponsible most of them are today

Although I agree with you on this point (I'd add obnoxious and spoilt to the list), they do bring in much needed tourist dollars/pounds/euros and keep a lot of people in jobs, who in turn support millions of family members throughout the kingdom. 

8 minutes ago, connda said:

Actually?  No worry.  If the app is created in Thailand - it won't work most of the time.

Actually when I arrived in Thailand mobiles were rare and it cost £10 per minute to call the UK and the live was terrible...and that was only 20 years ago.. now its free, connection is perfect and not having one is rare. 

To begin with sure, it might not even be this app but over time tech will make it happen easier and cheaper and better and thats that. 

Dont be worried just realise itll just keep going in the same direction.  

SIMS btw will be linked to your ID in the future ????  be happy if your old and a bit of a tracking rebel because we will likely be the last ones to be able to enjoy it. 

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thailands continued attempts at zero domestic cases is killing its own economy. 

If its killing the economy than why are Thailands Foreign Currency reserves up over $24 Billion since March.............

Edited by Chivas

I (as someone outside Thailand) would not mind them requiring me to use an app for say the first month of my potential stay. Anyone who has phone is potentially being tracked anyway and not just by the "authorities".

I think the line about the ELITE visa is just a pot stir. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

Well i myself will only come back after all this bs is over.....i can wait, Belgian beer costs 20 baht a bottle here....

Well, if you are in Belgium good luck.  Recently rated the worst country in the world for its virus response.

80,000 cases and 10,000 deaths.

I would rather be in Thailand then any place now.  And would probably be more concerned about staying alive then being so excited about a 60 cent beer.  Everyone has different priorities I guess.

36 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, if you are in Belgium good luck.  Recently rated the worst country in the world for its virus response.

80,000 cases and 10,000 deaths.

I would rather be in Thailand then any place now.  And would probably be more concerned about staying alive then being so excited about a 60 cent beer.  Everyone has different priorities I guess.

come on... most people that died were in retirement homes = mis-management

did you see the minister of health of belgium ? big fat overweight COW

belgium also have/had a lot of 70,80+ year old, compare that to thailand, max 75, poor, living on the far, getting sun, compared to old people waiting for their DEATH (words of my grandfather in such a care home)

In the real world if you’re tracking and tracing its relevant to everyone. If it’s going to work, the “powers” really ought to understand that Covid isn’t just a foreigner thing, as much as they’d like to think differently. 
Note that I said real world.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

It is hoped that the app will be ready for the expected return of some tourists at the start of October, already a stated aim of tourism and sports minister Pipat Ratchakitprakarn. 

Having a laugh .......... much

Not an app based system, but a number of countries in Europe require that visitors to their country submit a Passenger Location Form before they travel, with their personal details and their travel and accommodation details for their trip.

They receive a QR code before they travel, without which they are not allowed to travel the country.

Airlines are apparently denying boarding to numerous passengers.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

so they force people to

1) have a phone

2) use international roaming for this dumb app

3) will it even be in ANGRIT

4) does it work on older phones or only the newest ?

or will they provide a free sim so tourists can be traced locally

No, they aren’t forcing people to do anything, they certainly don’t seem to be trying to force people to travel to Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1