Pattaya: Transport is in a mess and 80% agree with monorail scheme set to start in 2024

webfact

On 8/22/2020 at 6:26 PM, josephbloggs said:

So what you are saying is that we shouldn't build any of these mass transit lines because they cause traffic jams during construction?  By that logic we shouldn't build flyovers or underpasses either.  During construction of the Pattanakarn underpass the traffic was nasty so I avoided it, but now the underpass has made a huge improvement.  Yes, the construction does cause traffic mess but when it is over you have a benefit.

If you had been in charge we wouldn't have the Skytrain the MRT, the Purple Line, the ARL, or all the other lines that will be open in the next couple of years.

I also live near the yellow line construction and avoid driving down Srinakarin (but then I always did as it is a pig of a road), but will certainly use the yellow line once it is open.  

And let's say your estimate of it taking 20 years to have a positive emissions benefit is true (that's certainly debatable) it's still definitely worth it.  And to think some people criticise the Thais for lack of long term thinking...

There is no economic benefit to a monorail in Pattaya, except for the usual reason. They could easily solve the traffic problem by reducing the number of baht buses by 50% on the Beach/ Second Rd route, and banning private cars in the central area. Car owners need not complain about that, as up to me I'd ban all private cars in every city in the world. Private cars in a city are a plague, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/22/2020 at 1:34 PM, sandyf said:

Those that are incapable of looking to the future and will ridicule anything and everything.

Don't you remember when it was said that no Thai would ever use the Bangkok BTS and that the MRT was nothing but a white elephant.

The people against the BTS were those that stood to lose monetarily.

I remember the arguments against very well. One worthy claimed that the passengers would be afraid because the train was too high. The MRT was poo pooed because it was claimed that tunnels could not be drilled in the mud.

It was lovely after it opened as it was almost empty because the tickets were too expensive for the bus riders. Now it's jammed.

Difference between Bkk and Pattaya is that the BTS went down roads with more than 4 lanes. Pattaya roads are just too narrow to block them off for years.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 6:58 AM, josephbloggs said:

Nope, no idea. Probably because it's not really that big of a place and doesn't really need it.  

There are other cities that need it more than Pattaya in my opinion.

Do you think corruption may have something to do with it?

Pattaya gets millions of tourists from all around the world.  For many people, Pattaya is their first experience of Thailand.  

What other cities need it more than Pattaya?

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Pattaya gets millions of tourists from all around the world. 

Wow, and there's me thinking they'd practically shut it down.

But the basic way it works in Thailand is that they do some costing, multiply by ten, discount the final total by 73.2% and apply for a 10 billion baht loan with an intent to spend maybe 2billion building the project - this is certainly the way it works upcountry. I remember someone investing heavily - paying householders 1000 each to vote for him. First project = build new roads AND have enough money left over for a new house and car.

Edited by ben2talk

On 8/28/2020 at 8:57 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Car owners need not complain about that, as up to me I'd ban all private cars in every city in the world. Private cars in a city are a plague, IMO.

I wonder why nobody voted for you...

5 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Wow, and there's me thinking they'd practically shut it down.

But the basic way it works in Thailand is that they do some costing, multiply by ten, discount the final total by 73.2% and apply for a 10 billion baht loan with an intent to spend maybe 2billion building the project - this is certainly the way it works upcountry. I remember someone investing heavily - paying householders 1000 each to vote for him. First project = build new roads AND have enough money left over for a new house and car.

They can continue with their corrupt ways here all they like, meanwhile, their direct competition are building things like this.

17 minutes ago, Leaver said:

They can continue with their corrupt ways here all they like, meanwhile, their direct competition are building things like this.

Yep, no corruption in Vietnam.  Wow, how anti Thai are you to believe that Vietnam is not corrupt??  It is easily as corrupt as Thailand, what a ridiculous thing to say.

And if Thailand were to build such a thing everyone here would decry it as a white elephant and full of "brown envelopes".  But it is in Vietnam so it must be good, clean, and amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Yep, no corruption in Vietnam. 

Never said that, or suggested that. Quite the contrary.

Wow, how anti Thai are you

Not anti Thai. Perhaps just not at pro Thai as you.

It is easily as corrupt as Thailand,

Yes, but as I have said previously, even with their corruption, THEY GET THE JOB DONE, unlike here.  

And if Thailand were to build such a thing everyone here would decry it as a white elephant and full of "brown envelopes". 

The problem is, Thailand doesn't build it, and their competitor has already built it.  

But it is in Vietnam so it must be good, clean, and amazing.

Can you name anything Thailand has done recently (pre Covid) that is "good, clean, and amazing?"

Here's another thing that is really "World Class" Vietnam has done recently.  

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-vietnam-street-circuit.2BvFoOV82kcqi88y0mMsUU.html

Apparently, Thailand is more wealthy than Vietnam. as it probably should be.  So how is it Vietnam is doing it bigger and better than Thailand? 

What do you think is the future of tourism in South East Asia?   

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Never said that, or suggested that. Quite the contrary.

"They can continue with their corrupt ways here all they like, meanwhile, their direct competition are building things like this."

Dunno, that sounds like you're saying Thailand is held back by corruption whereby Vietnam is not.  Whatever, if that's not what you meant, fine.

Yes, but as I have said previously, even with their corruption, THEY GET THE JOB DONE, unlike here.  

The problem is, Thailand doesn't build it, and their competitor has already built it.  

Can you name anything Thailand has done recently (pre Covid) that is "good, clean, and amazing?"

How about 10 mass transit lines in Bangkok?  Almost finished.  How is the HCMC Metro going?  Around 7 years late so far and almost twice over budget.  Yes, Thailand's systems also get delayed but they get done even with the corruption.  Tons of other things get done here.

Here's another thing that is really "World Class" Vietnam has done recently.  

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-vietnam-street-circuit.2BvFoOV82kcqi88y0mMsUU.html

Apparently, Thailand is more wealthy than Vietnam. as it probably should be.  So how is it Vietnam is doing it bigger and better than Thailand? 

Yes, they got the F1 and it remains to be seen how well it goes.  I hope it goes well!  Bangkok came close to having a street circuit 7-8 years ago but protests put paid to that.

Thailand does host the MotoGP and hosts it very successfully.  

I have nothing against Vietnam at all.  I like the country very much.  I also like Thailand.  Both have their good points.  But to suggest Vietnam is somehow streets ahead of Thailand because they built a cable car is ridiculous.

What do you think is the future of tourism in South East Asia?   

No idea.  I think Thailand will bounce back quite strongly.  Just because Vietnam built a cable car it doesn't mean people will want to go there.  Vietnam is harder to get in to for tourists.  It has a far poorer tourist infrastructure. I think Vietnam will grow but it is not going to surpass Thailand any time soon.

Langkawi built a cable car and quite a cool bridge.  I've been there, it's impressive.  But apart from that there is nothing much else to do - it didn't exactly destroy Phuket.  Same here.  They've built a cheesy fake French theme park and are hoping people will come.  Time will tell.

Dunno, that sounds like you're saying Thailand is held back by corruption

Are you suggesting Thailand isn't?

How about 10 mass transit lines in Bangkok?  Almost finished. 

Is Bangkok, "here" as in Pattaya, a so called World Class Tourist Destination without metered taxis.  ????

Tons of other things get done here.

Where is "here" exactly?  

Name some other things getting done "here" in Pattaya?

Yes, they got the F1

Yes, they did.  Why didn't Thailand, years ago?  It could of been a huge money earner. 

Bangkok came close to having a street circuit 7-8 years ago

Close enough is not good enough.

Thailand does host the MotoGP and hosts it very successfully.  

Hosted in the middle of nowhere. 

Both have their good points.  But to suggest Vietnam is somehow streets ahead of Thailand because they built a cable car is ridiculous.

The cable car is just a sign of things to come.  From a war torn country, from which Thailand profited immensely, to building record breaking things.  How long before they overtake Thailand, in many sectors?

I think Thailand will bounce back quite strongly. 

It has nothing to do with covid.  Vietnam was building it bigger and better before covid, with approximately a 30% increase in tourism year on year, before covid.

It has a far poorer tourist infrastructure

Rubbish.

I think Vietnam will grow but it is not going to surpass Thailand any time soon.

So when do you think it will, because it's progressing a lot faster than Thailand?

Langkawi built a cable car and quite a cool bridge.  I've been there, it's impressive.  But apart from that there is nothing much else to do - it didn't exactly destroy Phuket.  Same here.  They've built a cheesy fake French theme park and are hoping people will come.  Time will tell.

Been there myself.

As for cheesy fake French theme park, I was talking about the cable car, not the theme park.

Has Thailand got anything like this?  Or, maybe the question should be, does Thailand look like getting something like this, anytime soon?  No, I didn't think so.  

https://thegrandhotram.com/

Edited by Leaver

Please DO NOT multi quote replies it is against forum rules and screws up posts later on, I wont mention this again but will remove the posts and will hand out warnings. 

A further post has now been removed, the matter is not up for discussion

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Phuket, if only to stick it to their gouging taxi and sontaew drivers!

Ah, yes, "Pirate Island." 

The mafia controls all transport options in Phuket and the prices are crazy. 

Last I heard, it was 400 baht just to get into a tuktuk, regardless of the length of the journey. For a journey over a few km's long, the price went up from 400 baht.    

On 8/29/2020 at 11:16 PM, Leaver said:

Do you think corruption may have something to do with it?

Pattaya gets millions of tourists from all around the world.  For many people, Pattaya is their first experience of Thailand.  

What other cities need it more than Pattaya?

Chiang Mai needs an overhead rail service more than any city I ever was in in Thailand ( excluding Bkk ). The traffic jams on some roads are worse than Bkk at certain times of the day.

Pattaya could easily solve their traffic problems by halving the number of baht buses on Beach and Second, and banning tourist buses west of Sukhumvit.

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

Ah, yes, "Pirate Island." 

The mafia controls all transport options in Phuket and the prices are crazy. 

Last I heard, it was 400 baht just to get into a tuktuk, regardless of the length of the journey. For a journey over a few km's long, the price went up from 400 baht.    

Does the bus service from Phuket market still run? Last time I used it it was 20 baht. Other than that I walked.

On 8/30/2020 at 3:21 AM, josephbloggs said:

How about 10 mass transit lines in Bangkok? 

Yes they did manage to build it, years after it should have been completed, but hardly as good as it should have been. Some stations didn't have escalators from the beginning, no elevators for the disabled and elderly for years, the stairs obstructed the already too narrow pavements, they didn't include the Skywalk in the construction so had to add that later, the entrances too restricted for the numbers they should have anticipated, Siam Station is as badly designed as it is possible to badly design any pubic facility, etc. Even the cars are wrong. They bought ones with tiny windows that can hardly see anything out of. A Skytrain ride should be an experience to be relished with views of the city buildings. Then they polluted the environment with those horrid tv screens abusing riders with endless ads. Bah humbug.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 2:59 PM, Bender Rodriguez said:

will it still be needed with ZERO tourists?

yes koz once built it will become a TOURIST attraction......like driving street.....and the NEW PORT in JOMTIEN....OHHH !!! and the NEW UNDERGROUND TOILETS?????!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

yes koz once built it will become a TOURIST attraction......like driving street.....and the NEW PORT in JOMTIEN....OHHH !!! and the NEW UNDERGROUND TOILETS?????!!!!!!!!!

Underground toilets - just how low can you go?

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2020 at 11:58 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

"It starts at Pattaya High-speed Rail Station." :cheesy:

If you needed any evidence that this is all a pipe dream, I believe you have it right there. 

it takes abut 5.5 hrs to get to Bkk from patts station......so surely it should be called THE SLOW SPEED STATION !!!???

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2020 at 10:29 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Pattaya could easily solve their traffic problems by halving the number of baht buses on Beach and Second, and banning tourist buses west of Sukhumvit.

The amount of baht busses on the roads here survive because there are no proper metered taxis. 

If there were proper metered taxis here, many baht busses would be culled through lack of demand.