TAT: Thai tourism is "seriously wounded" - 2020 needs the "5 R's"

webfact

Replace all the useless TAT staff

Re-organise TAT to actually represent tourists both Domestic and International

Rectify current faults in Tourist places of interest 

Render an honest account of the current situation , not just soundbites because they sound good.

Remove ALL double pricing at all Tourist/Park.Attractions .

This may make the Tourist feel welcome , saying they can come but only go where they are told, will never happen, the rest of the world normally is free to go as you please , if Thailand imposes that , no-one will come even NEXT YEAR ! 

“Under "rebound" she commented on plans for places like Phuket to introduce a new model called "Seal and Safe" in which tourists are restricted in where they can travel for their own safety.”

Brilliant idea. Tourists will be breaking down the door to get sealed in.

• Like 2

"plans for places like Phuket to introduce a new model called "Seal and Safe" in which tourists are restricted in where they can travel for their own safety."

For Phuket if they would only get rid of the Taxi Mafia and instill the Baht Bus transportation system it would be such a big improvement. My understanding is the Taxi Mafia is politically aligned and thus  they have this mess down there. 

33 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

My scheduled BA return flight to Thailand 7 September was cancelled by BA about 10 days ago. Unless BA don’t cancel your flight within 2 weeks of departure they are liable for delay compensation €600. They know they’re not flying . I did not want a cash value voucher nor can I feasibly rebook without knowing when borders will open but wished to retain the return flight element. After a 45 minute queue on the phone I explained the situation,they were very understanding and gave me up until February 2021 to rebook. Do not take a voucher if you haven’t started your journey. They are legally obliged to refund you and if they prevaricate contact your credit card company who will refund you because they are jointly and severally liable under section 75 of the consumer credit act. 

Thanks for replying, that's very helpful. 

I'm getting nowhere trying to contact TravelUp so will try British Airways directly to see if they have cancelled my flights......

Just checked, BA showing Flights cancelled

Edited by Patts

6 hours ago, SteveK said:

They forgot the most important one: REOPEN.

June and July is gonna be good .. I don’t think so .... If the country isn’t reopened then they will sink lower than a submarines toilet

Edited by Millcx

Another great idea for Phuket visitors.  

Mr Phiphat  - "one possible solution is to provide 1-2 kilometres of beach area near state quarantine villas, such as in Patong, to let tourists step outside hotels and enjoy the beach during the 14-day quarantine".

Might suggest, please, to anyone speaking for government proposals,

please don't use alliterative - faux exuberation - words to persuade us

you're actually seriously planning to do something about the really serious

tourism issue.  It just makes you sound silly. Come up with a coherent

plan, and then make it happen.

If my memory serves me right, well, well before the corono, the tourist industry was severely hampered, the country relying on Chinese and Korean tourists. That dwindled to the abyss with the lock downs in countries. Best look to see the difficulties encountered by people who want to enter the country.

Edited by Magenta408
typo
  • Like 1

"He said that a group of the Thai population that had suffered greatly were young people who had left their villages to work in cities and who had lost their jobs."

I wonder what kind of jobs? Any ideas? I suppose most had jobs with limited social distance. Hahahaha

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Patts said:

Thanks for replying, that's very helpful. 

I'm getting nowhere trying to contact TravelUp so will try British Airways directly to see if they have cancelled my flights......

Just checked, BA showing Flights cancelled

If calling from uk their free phone is 0800 727800. You may have a bit of a wait, but in future try to book directly through their website rather than travel agents. It makes refunds etc easier. To repeat, don’t take the voucher option it’s only cash value against a future fare likely to be much higher. You could rebook for a date in the future and of course if that flight were to become cancelled too ,it would just reset to the position you’re in now anyway with no penalties,unless you eventually cancel yourself for whatever reason meaning you would then loose it. 
You may not get the same dispensation as me if you hadn’t already started the journey.