So logically. 

I'd say you gave a different name to basically flu 

And destroyed a the economy 

You have lived with flu and other viruses 

So learn to ajast a move on 

Or tourist industry and all export businesses will be completely out 

Thailand will go back 40 years backwards 

My opinion... 

Anybody thinks otherwise think what ever you want I'm. Tierd of arguing about it 

By the way flu has vaccine 

It don't stop people from being infected or die from it... 

I thought this was a poem that you wrote, but it must be freeform, as the lines don't rhyme.

Tourism earth wide is destroyed;  it's not just Thailand.

Even if the borders were flung open nobody would be able to come.  Not only do many countries forbid leaving during a pandemic, they forbid coming back.  And if they do let you back in, there is the finest strainer imaginable with a huge backlog resulting in months and months of delays, that is if you can even get a flight.  Which you won't.  

And let's not even talk about the astronomical cost of health care insurance during a pandemic.  Which you REQUIRE for entering Thailand.  Add on months and months worth while you are stuck in Thailand.

Just yesterday I was reading stories of UK citizens stuck abroad and it was shocking.  Stuck in India, running out of medication, stuck in the Philippines requiring cancer treatment and cannot get it.  Spending tens of thousands of dollars on airline tickets that get cancelled and no refunds to be seen.

You have to be dropped on your head travelling somewhere these days as a tourist.  For those wanting to get home (wherever that may be), I understand how frustrating this is to you.  If you want to get to Thailand you had better have lots and lots of money that's for sure.  

1 minute ago, robsamui said:

I thought this was a poem that you wrote, but it must be freeform, as the lines don't rhyme.

It is a nice poem.  

We all know the types of people that make these types of poems.  They hate their own countries move to Thailand and complain 100x worse.  

8 hours ago, Hayduke said:

They should….

Rebuild - Up the quarantine period to 30 days…

Rebalance – By announcing a new TAT officially approved ‘Virtual Thailand’ package promotion….

Refresh - Transport millions of arriving tourists to their officially approved quarantine hotels….

Reboot - Give everyone 30 officially approved ‘Virtual Thailand’ DVDs to watch while in quarantine….

Rebound - After 30 days take everyone back to the airport for deportation. Count the money.

Can't miss.

Lastly, recount the money, redirect it into the respective coffers, then restart the process.

8 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

How about. 

1. Remove 1st covid19 test

2. Remove fit to fly certificate 

3. Remove the requirement to get the Embassy to sign the fit to fly certificate 

4. Remove the US%100k insurance requirement

5. Remove compulsory quarantine 

Then shut down.

6 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

The article seems to be a bit out of date........."But she expressed some optimism that June and July would see a rise in domestic tourism." It would appear to be August now, or is she referring to next year???

No, she's waiting for the collated data to come through for June and July to her desk in order to assess the situation and trend.

5 hours ago, AndresSP said:

They really need to stop trying to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic with this whole domestic tourism rhetoric - you cannot create something out of nothing.  

What they need is to immediately start working on changing public opinion on the dangers of COVID, "dirty farangs" and towards the inevitable reopening in Q4. 

Domestic tourism does mean that income is generated in hard-hit tourist areas, rather than the money being spent in areas less impacted by the drop in tourism.

8 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Racket , Risible , Ramble , Rabble , Rummage might be alternatives told in a raconteur sort of way .. 

the five R should be

RUBISH  ,ROTTEN,  ROLLOVER ,  REPULSIVE and finally comes REVOLUTION.

Are they SO SO and SO  Stupid to beleive that the domestic tourism will raise the financial situation of the tourism market.

Thai people will never and never go to 5 star hotels like th farangs.. unlessthey belong to the Royal families. Most  thai people will settle  on 2 star hotels. and besides. How many days cn the thai people takes off on vacation.. it  is usually once a year. Thai people will not buy things all the time like farangs.

The chinese will fill the 3 stars hotel and eat cheap food. that is what they used to do in China. go on holiday like sardines in a hotel room and buy junk.

Only the farangs will spend money  on all class of hotels , eat expensive food, and pay a lot of money for the SOI NANA honeys..they ar there in thailand to spend money.

Any money the farangs spend helps the economy...

The japanese have their own problem.. they are not big spender like they used to be.

They must get rid of the quaranteen..apply the quarantine if necessarry in the hospital. not a hotel whic hyou do not know how clean it is.

there are not one million new tourist.. the people they counted are the the thai people arriving at the airport. not non thai people. a misleading numbers again.

2 hours ago, Magenta408 said:

If my memory serves me right, well, well before the corono, the tourist industry was severely hampered, the country relying on Chinese and Korean tourists. That dwindled to the abyss with the lock downs in countries. Best look to see the difficulties encountered by people who want to enter the country.

This is a disaster entirely of their own making and, with the predictable utter lack of foresight (a quality unheard of in Thailand) they have been brainlessly sowing the seeds of their own downfall for more than a decade.

Up until 20 years ago the weak baht attracted many millions of tourists from Europe, America and Australia. A proportionally great number decided to settle here and/or retire. The vast majority of these people were single, divorced, males not just taking advantage of the cheaper cost of living to stretch a meagre pension, but emigrating with the proceeded from a house or business sale - billions of baht flowing into Thailand.

When the baht strengthened and the flow of such newcomers reduced, there were still a great many in residence. But, fueled by greed, the Thai administration ignored this investment utterly, instead being lured by novel and glittering alternatives provided by China. And when China opened its borders and unleashed an apparently unlimited horde of daytrippers hungry to see the world outside, Thailand completely ignored the million+ resident foreigners who were still putting billions of baht into Thailand.

In fact, at this point, the greed-blinded Thai government started to bleed the captive farangs for all they were worth, introducing new and complex immigration categories with new fees attached and raising the cost of work permits, visa extensions and overstay. The government didn't give a damn about the moaning farangs - if they didn't like it they could go home to their own countries. Because now there were millions of Chinese coming for just a few days (average stay was 5 days, apparently) and without all the paperwork and administration needed for long-stay visas.

But because Thai have always been impressed by big numbers, 11 million Chinese tourists a year was a mantra chanted religiously by every fact-less boast from the TAT. Nobody thought to work it out that the resident farangs were spending MORE each year than these passing daytrippers.

So Thailand rapidly developed a reputation that inhibited Americans, Europeans and Australians from wanting to become entangled with the paperwork complexities of a nation where the baht was now strengthening and their Dollars and Euros had less purchase power, and Vietnam, Cambodia and The Philippines became the new getaways of choice - even some of the South American nations.

Which of course caused Thailand's attitude towards farangs to harden even more. Thailand had already killed its golden calf and made itself a hostile environment for farangs when Covid arrived - and the government's resulting attitude towards farangs finally dropped all pretence.

Thus in a stroke of blithering total mismanagement, Thailand not only lost its glittering Chinese income, but had scared away all farangs but the rooted ones - those die-hards with wives and children and/or lives that had ceased to exist outside of Thailand. 

Domestic tourism? Even the upper classes are now struggling. The middle classes and workers are broke or getting there. 

A drop in Thai tourism this year from 44 million to 3 million? If you burn all your bridges and then bully all your long-suffering slaves to despair, what on earth would any rational person expect?

Edited by robsamui
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zikomat said:

Why not to advertise Thailand for the long stayers (6 months+) ? This Is the only group of tourists which may agree on 2 weeks quarantine. Many of them can choose Thailand as a Covid free place. Thailand should forget about short time tourism for a long time. Those buses full of Chinese - these are the things of the past. 

Inshallah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robsamui said:

Another year? Make that more like 2 or 3 years.

Google "D614G".
Nobody seems to want to talk about it, which is probably why it's not all over the news.

I like to talk about it:

And it seems to be good news. I think the virus issue will be gone in 2021, but usurpers have dealt a blow to the economy that will be felt for a decade, if not more.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Millcx said:

June and July is gonna be good .. I don’t think so .... If the country isn’t reopened then they will sink lower than a submarines toilet

"June and July is gonna be good" 

Am I missing something here? It's now 21st August!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

The understatement of the year, people at TAT are getting paid to state the obvious and come up with catchy slogans to woo non existent imaginary tourist...

The number 41.8 million tourists for 2019 is not close to the real amount. The real number is probably less than 20 million. Many TAT offices reported about 50% less hotel rooms bookings. When they are talking about tourists, they are actually counting arrivals. That means even migrant workers. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Dec 2019, Thai national debt to GDP was about 36% and is predicted to rise to 46% by the end of the year.

The UK national debt has for the first time just topped 100% of GDP, well above the IMF benchmark of 77% which is seen as leading to economic slowdown.

Thailand may have caught a cold but symptoms are quite mild compared to some other countries.

To predict only  10% (your 36-46%) debt in GDP with the total loss of ALL tourism, exports down 20% ish and falling , car sales down 34%, unemployment and furloughed staff = to near 6,000,000 thais, is quite simply fanciful.

The 'elected' powers that be have already said they would be ok to rise it to 60% of GDP !!! So bang goes your 10% !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hayduke said:

They should….

Rebuild - Up the quarantine period to 30 days…

Rebalance – By announcing a new TAT officially approved ‘Virtual Thailand’ package promotion….

Refresh - Transport millions of arriving tourists to their officially approved quarantine hotels….

Reboot - Give everyone 30 officially approved ‘Virtual Thailand’ DVDs to watch while in quarantine….

Rebound - After 30 days take everyone back to the airport for deportation. Count the money.

Can't miss.

Give this man a job as head of TAT :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

The understatement of the year, people at TAT are getting paid to state the obvious and come up with catchy slogans to woo non existent imaginary tourist...

Totally agree. We knew all this about 2-3 months ago. In fact I seem to recall that TAT were making downward projections which was very much unlike them so we knew it was bad. Domestic tourism isn't the answer, the real money comes from International tourists.

Until they open the borders the TAT is redundant.

• Like 2

Someone stated above that if there are travel restrictions placed, no one would come. The problem is far worse than that. I have already checked with my travel agent and insurance company. They both say - If the airline is flying into Thailand and the hotel is open, you will not be able to cancel your holiday without severe financial penalties. My wife and I have a trip booked for the 17 November. I doubt if it will happen. At least I can move the date for sometime next year. If I’m forced to stay in one location and have my movement restricted, our holiday will be ruined.

• Like 2

Please, is that really happened again ? It is every day then !

Did they decently discuss the subject of the panic attack they are experiencing and which they inspire in their (poorly educated) people, faced with a virus that does not kill more people in the world than a bad flu in the making to weaken, and in any case much less than the number of deaths on the road or from the causes of diabetes or smoking or alcohol, or malaria (and for each of them taken separately)?
Do they know that it is not Ebola that they are talking about (which kills 80% of infected), but of COVID-19 (which killed between 1 and 3% of infected and now less than 1% ... and which is treated well with hydro-chlorokin where the death rate falls below 0.5 per 1000)?
Do they know that the investments made in a vaccine are useless and that it is useless to play all this masquerade, that people (in any case the falang) have understood the magic ring?

Did they bring up the idea of consulting a psychologist to go from "unjustified panic" mode to "pragmatic leader" mode ? (right now please)
Did they bring up the idea of establishing a democracy for the coming year (we can ask... why not... it is time to ask maybe) ?
Did they manage to grasp the difference between foreigners who are tourists and those who are foreigners, but not tourists ? (not difficult to understand)
Have they succeeded in making the logical connection between a foreigner married and linked with a Thai family and the interests of Thailand?
Or ... still not?
Someone would have to take the risk of telling them (yes, it is risky I think, given the number of things to explain and the psychological impact induced by the ridiculous situation, he will have to be a diplomat) ... the longer we wait before informing them, the worse it will be.
We will have to land the children ....

Or maybe Thai visa doesn't provide the reality about what's happening in Thailand, how is it possible this going so far and so incredibly wrong, again, and again, and again ? it is terrible.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Yea, but China is never going to pay Reparations for what they've done. 

you never know pressure the don might exert to bring china to the reparation table.....

this year catch phrase seems to be "expect the unexpected"