Thailand to allow long-stay tourists in island of Phuket from October

Jonathan Fairfield

15 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Is it 20 years already since the pandemic started? This lockdown is playing havoc with my sense of time...????

Point well made about re-entry though ????

You would have to show me where I associated 20 years with the pandemic.

The narrow mindedness on this is unbelievable, many are desperate to get back and the majority on here think the doors will stay shut believing through bigotry that the Thais are incapable of turning the key.

I suspect the government is under pressure from embassies around the world over the workload in respect of repatriation flights.

A possible solution would be to grant permission to commercial flights to land at Phuket airport and use the island as quarantine centre. With more flights available more people can travel, foreigners would no longer need to contact the embassy and returning Thais may have to option of waiting for repatriation or travel under their own steam via Phuket. Introducing the word "tourists" into the equation would provide a face saving reason for easing the current requirements as they may not be enforceable on commercial flights. I am not sure how many airlines fly into Phuket but I suspect Thai Airways may well feature significantly.

Hopefully the details will provide a bit more clarity.

But sounds like they can go from hotel/resort to the near beach and stay in swimming pool. Not just closed in their rooms.

There are foreigners living here in Thailand or even in Phuket since years and not coming from out side that will be questioned at every step....

51 minutes ago, treetops said:

I expect you'll be able to choose from the list which currently is woefully small.

image.png.315f88c27b575f83e01666ae6eac1081.png

Once most people realize what this will actually cost them they will pass. I have never been to phuket or resorts there but I'm sure 6000 euros for 15 quarantine is a bit much. The cost and restrictions definitely out way the benefits. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shey420 said:

Once most people realize what this will actually cost them they will pass. I have never been to phuket or resorts there but I'm sure 6000 euros for 15 quarantine is a bit much. The cost and restrictions definitely out way the benefits. 

If the scheme goes ahead and is going to be effective it'll certainly need more places to sign up at a range of price points.

On 8/22/2020 at 5:14 PM, CorpusChristie said:

Errrm, why dont you fly to Phuket for 14 days and then go to Krabi after 14 days ?

Because he don't want to stay in a quarantine hotel... as many others don't want to.

By the way, when I would like to return to LOS - which I not want - I would not even come if I had to be tested at the airport only.

This simply because I do not want - if tested positive - to end up in one of these so called first class - private at best - hospitals where the quality of healthcare is less than in a governmental hospital in northern Europe for example.

• Like 1

It’s difficult to see how it’s going to work, Thailand limit arrivals to BKK to 500 a day, from the U.K. flights are with Thai Air at around £700 a single.

i think the Thai Government are ‘testing the ‘ water to see what the uptake will be, I doubt that from the U.K. not many as you still have to ‘jump through hoops’.

i am stuck here in the U.K. with my Thai partner and son and the cost of all us returning is prohibitive more so the fact we live 400 kilometres from London.

I read elsewhere that the Phuket plan would be initially based on charter flights rather than general commercial scheduled flights. So presumably that would mean organising them through the already overloaded embassies around the world. Direct flights to Phuket or via Bangkok, who knows. 

Even with the 14 day hotel quarantine, further 7 days on the island, numerous virus tests and all of the associated costs, plus whatever else will be required re. certificates and visas, I still anticipate demand for this program to outdo supply. Of course not by general tourists but by long stay visitors. And that's who the authorities in Thailand are targeting - there are tens of thousands of them and they know that. 

It's worth remembering that since Thai Elite visa holders were added to the list of people allowed entry, new applications soared, around 2,500 in a month I read. And that's still with a mandatory 14 day quarantine in Bangkok and various other requirements, PLUS a minimum of 500,000 baht for the visa. The Phuket plan will be very similar, minus the elite visa fee so it's going to fly off the shelf, if it materialises. 

Edited by leicesterguyuk
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, leicesterguyuk said:

I read elsewhere that the Phuket plan would be initially based on charter flights rather than general commercial scheduled flights. So presumably that would mean organising them through the already overloaded embassies around the world. Direct flights to Phuket or via Bangkok, who knows. 

Even with the 14 day hotel quarantine, further 7 days on the island, numerous virus tests and all of the associated costs, plus whatever else will be required re. certificates and visas, I still anticipate demand for this program to outdo supply. Of course not by general tourists but by long stay visitors. And that's who the authorities in Thailand are targeting - there are tens of thousands of them and they know that. 

It's worth remembering that since Thai Elite visa holders were added to the list of people allowed entry, new applications soared, around 2,500 in a month I read. And that's still with a mandatory 14 day quarantine in Bangkok and various other requirements, PLUS a minimum of 500,000 baht for the visa. The Phuket plan will be very similar, minus the elite visa fee so it's going to fly off the shelf, if it materialises. 

I wish I had your optimism ‘going to fly of the shelf’ maybe for property owners stuck abroad it might be. Tourism was in decline if you remove the Chinese numbers from it, who is going to pay $10000 before even beginning a holiday.

If this passes with flights available, it will suit people who wish to see their loved ones.  There are plenty who are willing to spend this amount of time plus the costs that they can see their loved ones.  

This is for me, as i can spend two weeks in quarantine and then ask my partner to visit for the final week.  However, that final week is very confusing and why?  Its just more of an excuse to get more Tourism within Phuket.  There has been people who state its for the chinese, but why would they come for 2 weeks quarantine?  As the article defined, its for long term tourists

31 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

If this passes with flights available, it will suit people who wish to see their loved ones.  There are plenty who are willing to spend this amount of time plus the costs that they can see their loved ones.  

This is for me, as i can spend two weeks in quarantine and then ask my partner to visit for the final week.  However, that final week is very confusing and why?  Its just more of an excuse to get more Tourism within Phuket.  There has been people who state its for the chinese, but why would they come for 2 weeks quarantine?  As the article defined, its for long term tourists

Depending on your flight cost after your 15 days at asq your wallet will be around $8000 lighter. 

I can give time or money to see my loved ones but I can't do both. If I'm quarantined I'm not spending 8k to be alone and not able to have a drink if I want for 14.

Plus its still a possibility that you will not be let go after 14 because you can test positive. 

I saw a guy tell of his friends situation...the the 1st test is for covid was negative.The second test is for covid(negative) and antibodies (positive).  So if you had covid before and have antibodies they may not let you free. They want him to go to hospital for further quarantine. 

I'll just wait. 

On 8/21/2020 at 5:56 PM, CorpusChristie said:

No one is actually starving though, Thailand is also developing its own vaccine and if another Country makes a vaccine first, Thailand would gladly pay for it 

Perhaps no one within one hundred metres of your home is starving, but it's a foolish statement to say that no one is starving, the economic impact is already there for some and coming rapidly for many many more. Forecast is 8 mio visitors versus  38 mio visitors. Open your eyes and open your mind.

On 8/21/2020 at 6:06 PM, GeorgeCross said:

so you are telling me that four days after they plan to kick half the expat long stayers out, they are going to open their doors to expat long stayers..!?

????‍♀️I agree. Why would you expel existng revenues, who are generating income from rents, spending and travel. Mindless to kick out revenue generators in a total absence of alternatives......

12 minutes ago, PMZ said:

Perhaps no one within one hundred metres of your home is starving, but it's a foolish statement to say that no one is starving, the economic impact is already there for some and coming rapidly for many many more. Forecast is 8 mio visitors versus  38 mio visitors. Open your eyes and open your mind.

Where are people "starving" ?

Many are being financially hit , but where are people starving ?

• Confused 1

On 8/21/2020 at 10:47 AM, Sheryl said:

And how exactly are tourists going to get there? Will they start to issue tourist visas again? Flights?

Precisely, the process for the 'allowed groups' is already expensive enough and the process can vary from very difficult to downright impossible.

Apart from all the other obvious factors, I doubt many are going to accept this if they are not allowed to travel on commercial flights which they book themselves.  If they make it so the embassies deal with it, it just won't work, you can't speak to them, they send out non-sensical e-mails and it works out that most foreigners are only allowed to fly on extortionately priced one-way business class flights.

I doubt many tourists will be prepared to jump through the hoops and craziness that the Thai embassies create - people want a hassle free experience when booking a holiday. If the embassies are involved, the only people likely to take this up are those who were coming anyway and were looking for an alternative to being locked up in Bangkok.

Love to see the detail on this when its published.

1 hour ago, pantsonfire said:

If you have a partner why are you not applying now ?

6 hours ago, Truth Will Set You Free said:

image.jpeg.7c0052820a7aceb61b2b983de603f10a.jpeg

I expected this place to stay empty for a long time as other places. Why are there no Thai’s on the beach. They don’t swim or support their local communities. 

No farangs to scam....no need to go to beach...

• Like 1

The govt is kinda stuffed if they do and stuffed if they dont. It is not an easy situation to handle. They allows tourists back and covid makes a rears its head again they will have the general population up in arms wanting their head. If they dont do anything they have the tourism sector protesting at their doors. I understand what they are trying to achieve here even though its probably not the greatest of ideas but i guess it at least shows they are making some attempt. 

In regards to some of the comments about long stay tourists or expats being forgotten. These types of tourists are not what is going to save the tourist industry. Some foreigner renting a private apartment on a monthly basis eating at local restaurants and drinking at a local bar isnt their focus. Its the short stay tourists that are staying in hotels, eating in restaurants targeted at tourists who are also going on day tours, diving and all that stuff most long term stayers arnt interested in doing and spending money on souvenirs and duty free.

11 minutes ago, Dutyfirst said:

The govt is kinda stuffed if they do and stuffed if they dont. It is not an easy situation to handle. They allows tourists back and covid makes a rears its head again they will have the general population up in arms wanting their head. If they dont do anything they have the tourism sector protesting at their doors. I understand what they are trying to achieve here even though its probably not the greatest of ideas but i guess it at least shows they are making some attempt. 

In regards to some of the comments about long stay tourists or expats being forgotten. These types of tourists are not what is going to save the tourist industry. Some foreigner renting a private apartment on a monthly basis eating at local restaurants and drinking at a local bar isnt their focus. Its the short stay tourists that are staying in hotels, eating in restaurants targeted at tourists who are also going on day tours, diving and all that stuff most long term stayers arnt interested in doing and spending money on souvenirs and duty free.

No, they don't target short staying tourists. 2-3 weeks quarantine makes this impossible. Perhaps they don't target expats but they like that the long time tourists come back (I mean the real tourists)

IF they allow in tourists and keep them in phuket::

hows it going to work ?
How will they tell these guys in quarantine from me, that lives here?
will they have hotels that are ONLY allowed to take in those under quarantine?
will they have a closed in walk way to the beach, roped off area once there?, including roped off area in the sea,
ONLY a few restaurant allowed to serve those in quarantine? OR only restaurant attached to hotels.
Forget about visiting any bars or going on any tours

Even than, say 1 person is on day 12 of his 2 week sentence and a new person comes in on day 1, will they have to remain separate?
etc etc

maybe they will all be issued small beepers that must be attached an cant be removed, like those on house arrest get

or collars that some pet owners use on their dogs to keep them on their property. LOL

the ONLY benefits will be the larger resorts, think 4 star resorts, 2 restaurants, very close to beach, pool, 100-250 rooms, room service, approved by the tat
I can think of at least 15 resorts that would qualify, Laguna area, has 7 of them with 1,400+rooms. As these will be the ONLY tourists arriving.. no mixing of expat and new tourists. Most have staff housing as well.

They wont be allowed out to wander to other restaurants/bars, tours, shopping, walks around as then they would come in contact with local thais and expats here.
after 14 days they can do the above must must remain in same resort, 3 weeks, free to go to everywhere

2 month visa, 1 month extension, (or prehaps they will allow these people a 2, 3 month extension??)
Than the remainder of the places would benefit

a logistic nightmare

• Like 1