Thailand to allow long-stay tourists in island of Phuket from October

Jonathan Fairfield

Excellent! 

... if they go on like this, they will even loose the Xmas high season!

Their desired “high value” tourists are booking now for the winter season:

French Polynesia, Maldives, Seychelles, numerous Caribbean islands already open without quarantine.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, treetops said:

I expect you'll be able to choose from the list which currently is woefully small.

image.png.315f88c27b575f83e01666ae6eac1081.png

Ok, on what grounds do you expect this ? I did not see anything in the announcement stating the visitor may only stay in certain approved hotels ?

So my question again, can a returning long term expat quarantine in a house that he/his wife owns ? Can a repeat long term tourist choose to stay in his favourite hotel 5 mins walk from Bangla road ?

I can see this being the biggest hurdle to overcome for anyone wishing to visit, and not the flights, testing etc.

7 minutes ago, taxin said:

Ok, on what grounds do you expect this ? I did not see anything in the announcement stating the visitor may only stay in certain approved hotels ?

So my question again, can a returning long term expat quarantine in a house that he/his wife owns ? Can a repeat long term tourist choose to stay in his favourite hotel 5 mins walk from Bangla road ?

I can see this being the biggest hurdle to overcome for anyone wishing to visit, and not the flights, testing etc.

It is quarantine organised by the government, not by yourself, and not self isolation.  The hotel list is on the quarantine site under local state quarantine.

www.hsscovid.com.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, taxin said:

No.

No

40 minutes ago, treetops said:

It is quarantine organised by the government, not by yourself, and not self isolation.  The hotel list is on the quarantine site under local state quarantine.

www.hsscovid.com.

Thanks. Can you provide a link to any reputable source that confirms this ?

Myself and many more business owners in Phuket are seeking clarification on this, so it’s quite important.

As usual this thread has turned into another “Thailand is a joke” topic with 99% of comments bashing the Thai government, with no real factual information. Any further news and clarification on the subject will be welcomed by many.

1 hour ago, taxin said:

There is no official confirmation yet, it's still in the planning phase. But all reporting media sources have said it'll be 2 weeks in an approved quarantine hotel. Hotel staff won't even be able to return home so of course a 'returning long term expat' can't self isolate at home, or choose any random hotel. It will be a military operation (quite literally). 

It'll be similar to Bangkok and the ASQ programme there with a little more freedom of movement I assume, that's how the plan reads anyway. 

Come on... as if the authorities will let you self isolate at home. That's what most western countries have in place and look at the number of cases there. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, leicesterguyuk said:

There is no official confirmation yet, it's still in the planning phase. But all reporting media sources have said it'll be 2 weeks in an approved quarantine hotel. Hotel staff won't even be able to return home so of course a 'returning long term expat' can't self isolate at home, or choose any random hotel. It will be a military operation (quite literally). 

It'll be similar to Bangkok and the ASQ programme there with a little more freedom of movement I assume, that's how the plan reads anyway. 

Ok so if media sources are correct and they must stay in an approved quarantine hotel, what is to stop any hotel applying to be a quarantine hotel ? At this point the authorities have not stipulated it comes under the same ASQ program as in Bangkok, so we should not jump to conclusions just yet.

Yes self isolating at home with the wife might be stretching it a bit, but I also believe this will all be a lot more relaxed than people are making out, certainly won’t be a military operation.

46 minutes ago, taxin said:

Ok so if media sources are correct and they must stay in an approved quarantine hotel, what is to stop any hotel applying to be a quarantine hotel ?

I suppose any hotel could apply to be a quarantine hotel, but the hundreds of smaller 20 odd room hotels all around Patong are unlikely to be accepted. Where would staff stay onsite for starters? It'll be the bigger more luxury (and expensive) hotels that will be successful. 

I really don't think it'll be relaxed, have you seen reports of peoples experiences arriving into Suvarnabhumi recently, and their ASQ hotel experiences? They're not even allowed to open their hotel room door to take in their mandatory room service meal until they get a call telling them to do so. And time spent out of the room (only after the first test comes back negative) is time limited and must be booked. Phuket I expect are planning for something similar. It's Thailand, the home of military control. 

3 hours ago, leicesterguyuk said:

I suppose any hotel could apply to be a quarantine hotel, but the hundreds of smaller 20 odd room hotels all around Patong are unlikely to be accepted. Where would staff stay onsite for starters? It'll be the bigger more luxury (and expensive) hotels that will be successful. 

I really don't think it'll be relaxed, have you seen reports of peoples experiences arriving into Suvarnabhumi recently, and their ASQ hotel experiences? They're not even allowed to open their hotel room door to take in their mandatory room service meal until they get a call telling them to do so. And time spent out of the room (only after the first test comes back negative) is time limited and must be booked. Phuket I expect are planning for something similar. It's Thailand, the home of military control. 

I know many hotels that house their staff with some still accommodating them now, particularly the smaller/medium size ones.

Actually the larger 5 star resorts don’t normally house their staff, some have staff quarters but generally they house there staff in outside accommodation and bus them in, you regularly see these buses around the island with the hotels name on the side.

Yes I’m aware of the stories of ASQ in BKK however, this is current, things may well be different come October. Remember less than 3 months ago you could not even enter Phuket, even Thais could not enter, everyone saying it will be next year before tourists will be allowed in, now in August they are announcing plans to allow visitors in October.

In my opinion these restrictions won’t be enforced, not moving within 1km radius of the hotel, staff not being allowed out, etc. I would not be surprised if there was not a 2nd test, maybe not even a first test. Maybe they will enforce all this in October yes, come November it will all be forgotten.

1 hour ago, taxin said:

Maybe they will enforce all this in October yes, come November it will all be forgotten.

Maybe small/medium sized hotels will be successful then. But I imagine there will be more to it than that, such as how much of a backhander the hotel can give to the authorities to be adde to the ASQ list. I'm try to not be cynical but this is Thailand and we all know how it works. 

The key thing for me isn't the hotels, nor particularly the visa. It's who will be allowed and the logistics of flying there if no commercial flights are allowed. If all flights are chartered, who will organise all of this... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leicesterguyuk said:

Maybe small/medium sized hotels will be successful then. But I imagine there will be more to it than that, such as how much of a backhander the hotel can give to the authorities to be adde to the ASQ list. I'm try to not be cynical but this is Thailand and we all know how it works. 

The key thing for me isn't the hotels, nor particularly the visa. It's who will be allowed and the logistics of flying there if no commercial flights are allowed. If all flights are chartered, who will organise all of this... 

The successful hotels will be the ones that are owned by influential people, not so much from back handers.

As for charter flights this is absolute rubbish, won’t happen, there will be commercial flights. For example Air Asia and Jet Star are already advertising flights from Singapore to Phuket in October. Turkish Airlines, Qatar Airways, Emirates, all advertising flights from Europe to Phuket. Australia maybe not.

I personally do not think it will matter where you are traveling from in terms of Covid cases in the country you are departing from. As far as the Thai authorities are concerned you will be tested and quarantined, then tested again, so if you have the virus they will quickly deal with it.

On 8/24/2020 at 12:21 AM, CorpusChristie said:

Where are people "starving" ?

Many are being financially hit , but where are people starving ?

Some people think that Thailand without foreign tourists are dead. 

Edited by Acrylic

Originally  4 phased opening being delayed each time by this government . As a holder of a thai retirement visa o, no mention now for  similar visa holders.  They shouldn’t be lumped into the very restrictive Phuket house arrest (3weeks /2 weeks initially then an additional 1week plus 3 covid tests In order to go your own residence in another city).  ABSURD  .  Id be fine being in quarantine in bkk or pattaya whilst I continue to pay each month for my empty condo    Angry emoji. Any updates welcomed please

On 8/22/2020 at 2:08 PM, Harry Fingerling said:

Announcing TATs new Phuket mobile travel bubble.

AA557D37-2053-490A-B110-9BB475C7CEBF.jpeg

Hello, Mr. Harry Fingerling,

Thank you for posting such an interesting image.

Where did you see this thing?

Is this photo taken by yourself somewhere in Thailand?

Or is it part of the media coverage you have recently read?

If you kindly advise me, I feel quite grateful. 

Yours sincerely,  

B.T.

22 hours ago, taxin said:

With the current list of hotels I can't see it happening as an A320 or Boeing 737 flight once a fortnight would fill all the quarantine spaces.  All these other airlines are selling flights in anticipation that quarantine  is removed.  If it isn't these flights will be cancelled in due course.

More hotel/hospital partnerships may join in and the procedure for doing so is outlined here with listings of current partners in State Quarantine, Alternative State Quarantine and now Alternative Local Quarantine.

http://hsscovid.com/

On 8/24/2020 at 2:33 PM, taxin said:

NO,

ONLY prescribed, approved hotels will be available for the "New" tourists and i will bet $ to donuts they will all be hotels/resorts with over 50 rooms and none under 3,000 baht/night. NO GH's or small hotels, NO home stays

On 8/21/2020 at 7:59 PM, MadMac said:

But perhaps a way for stranded expats to come back, if anything at all.

That's if they will start re-issuing us our Non Imm O and O-A visas, to get back or will it be just tourist visas for that area?  And costs, they will be massive I fear for resort style month accommodation.  Not something most of us who have been on retirement visas before being locked out have budgeted for.  A resort style holiday like that would be akin to saving up for a honeymoon for a couple as a 'one off' expense, not for a single retiree aiming to get back. 

19 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

NO,

ONLY prescribed, approved hotels will be available for the "New" tourists and i will bet $ to donuts they will all be hotels/resorts with over 50 rooms and none under 3,000 baht/night. NO GH's or small hotels, NO home stays

I did read on one news post a starting price 90,000 baht bit think that was for 2 weeks.  If they are saying 3 to 4 weeks mandatory stay then "wow" you had better be wealthy.  I hope I have read something incorrectly.  Hoping they cater for single retirees just trying to get back to their homes in Thailand.  

Edited by aussienam

On 8/24/2020 at 5:33 PM, taxin said:

The same issue applies to those living in Bangkok whose home may be a stone's throw from the ASQ hotel they need to stay in.  ASQ facilities need to meet certain criteria to be certified as ASQ.  And in partnership with hospital and medical staff.  And all staff probably will need to be quarantined too before being allowed to leave. 

Hence why there is a huge backlog of those approved who still cannot get back, let alone those who haven't even been considered yet.  

At the pace the ASQ process has been going, it will be over a year before everyone needing to get back can.  

Unless there is a massive rethink of ASQ options.  Example - Home quarantine for expats with suitable isolated accommodation with paid security and local hospital staff to do testing would work.  Would employ thousands of jobless Thais and get economy back faster.  

Edited by aussienam

12 minutes ago, aussienam said:

The same issue applies to those living in Bangkok whose home may be a stone's throw from the ASQ hotel they need to stay in.  ASQ facilities need to meet certain criteria to be certified as ASQ.  And in partnership with hospital and medical staff.  And all staff probably will need to be quarantined too before being allowed to leave. 

Hence why there is a huge backlog of those approved who still cannot get back, let alone those who haven't even been considered yet.  

At the pace the ASQ process has been going, it will be over a year before everyone needing to get back can.  

Unless there is a massive rethink of ASQ options.  Example - Home quarantine for expats with suitable isolated accommodation with paid security and local hospital staff to do testing would work.  Would employ thousands of jobless Thais and get economy back faster.  

The problem with ASQ Hotels and home quarantine would be linking them to hospitals, they must be limited number of staff who would be available to do the testing and laboratories to process the samples.

On 8/21/2020 at 9:11 PM, Laza 45 said:

...I don't think it will be like locked up in a 35 sq m condo.. they would have resort facilities and limited access to the outdoors.. I did 14 days at home on my own with half the house screened off with plastic sheeting.. my wife brought me meals.. I had access to the garden... TV.. internet.. and the odd beer... wasn't that bad.. If I had access to a beach and  a pool I'd do it again if it was on Samui.. 

If that was the case - freedom of movement throughout the resort, you would therefore be crossing paths with other guests who potentially arrive at different times.  If you were near the end of 14 days and came into contact with a new guest starting day 1, then you'd technically need to stay another 14 days.  

Unless they have one mass intake and no new arrivals until all guests there have finished up and left.  

1 minute ago, aussienam said:

If that was the case - freedom of movement throughout the resort, you would therefore be crossing paths with other guests who potentially arrive at different times.  If you were near the end of 14 days and came into contact with a new guest starting day 1, then you'd technically need to stay another 14 days.  

Unless they have one mass intake and no new arrivals until all guests there have finished up and left.  

That will not work, it only takes one person to be asymptomatic and it will spread like wildfire to the others in the group similar  to what happened in Care Homes in the U.K. 

On 8/21/2020 at 10:21 PM, Travelanimal said:

Honestly no one is so stupid to waste money on qurantine . This thing will only benefit people who want to come back on different types of visas which aren't allowed at the moment . For normal tourist this is a NO 

Expect 20 to 30 foolish tourist and good amount of other visa categories to come in

Well, the Thai Embassies are still not issuing retirement visas (Non Imm O and O-A) and no indication when they will ever issue them again so at the moment it seems tourist visas and Elite Visas are the only category they are interested in. 

13 hours ago, taxin said:

The successful hotels will be the ones that are owned by influential people, not so much from back handers.

As for charter flights this is absolute rubbish, won’t happen, there will be commercial flights. For example Air Asia and Jet Star are already advertising flights from Singapore to Phuket in October. Turkish Airlines, Qatar Airways, Emirates, all advertising flights from Europe to Phuket. Australia maybe not.

I personally do not think it will matter where you are traveling from in terms of Covid cases in the country you are departing from. As far as the Thai authorities are concerned you will be tested and quarantined, then tested again, so if you have the virus they will quickly deal with it.

Back handers or influential people, it's still corruption. Same same. 

Well they did cite charter flights in the news reports but who knows. That would have to work something like the Bangkok repatriation flights. 

The October flights to Phuket have been on sale for months, Septembers have only just been cancelled, a cash flow tactic from airlines. With such limited numbers of hotels, there can't be regular flights from all over Europe and Asia. I doubt passengers will be allowed to board the plane if they don't have a ASQ hotel booking, normal airlines won't want to be responsible for checking all of that and wouldn't even know how. 

Far too many posts referring to the ASQ program in Bangkok, this (if it actually goes ahead) will not be the same. By October the ASQ program will be no more.

The government are merely using Phuket as a gateway for allowing long stay visitors back in to the country. Think about it, if the government did a survey asking Bangkok residents if they were happy about allowing long term tourists into Bangkok, with all of them being allowed to roam within 1km of their hotels, how many would agree to this ? I Would say more than 90% would vote against it.

On the other hand do the same survey with Phuket residents, where the vast majority of the islands population rely on tourism to survive and you will get a different response, more than 90% would vote in favour. 

15 minutes ago, taxin said:

Far too many posts referring to the ASQ program in Bangkok, this (if it actually goes ahead) will not be the same. By October the ASQ program will be no more.

The government are merely using Phuket as a gateway for allowing long stay visitors back in to the country. Think about it, if the government did a survey asking Bangkok residents if they were happy about allowing long term tourists into Bangkok, with all of them being allowed to roam within 1km of their hotels, how many would agree to this ? I Would say more than 90% would vote against it.

On the other hand do the same survey with Phuket residents, where the vast majority of the islands population rely on tourism to survive and you will get a different response, more than 90% would vote in favour. 

It hasn’t been confirmed that people can roam 1 kilometre from their hotel and I very much doubt they will be.

There are not enough hotels equipped to be ASQ Hotels and certainly not enough medical staff either in Phuket.

You could do a survey in Pattaya and I am 100% convinced they would welcome tourists back as it relies on tourism where as Bangkok doesn’t.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit

21 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

It hasn’t been confirmed that people can roam 1 kilometre from their hotel and I very much doubt they will be.

There are not enough hotels equipped to be ASQ Hotels and certainly not enough medical staff either in Phuket.

You could do a survey in Pattaya and I am 100% convinced they would welcome tourists back as it relies on tourism where as Bangkok doesn’t.

I also doubt they will be allowed to roam 1km from their hotel, they will be allowed to roam much further than this.