Thailand to allow long-stay tourists in island of Phuket from October

Jonathan Fairfield

So how does it work then. Who decides which hotels people stay in ?

If you have one family staying in one room , does that mean the cleaner can only clean that one room ,

and as it states in the report "staff will have to stay in the hotel too."

So the cleaning ladies don't get to go home to feed the kids at the end of their shift ?

and won't see the kids and the old man for weeks on end ?

• Like 2

Phuket travel bubbles may begin from Oct 1

By The Phuket News

1598002078_1-org.jpg

Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakan at the event in Bangkok yesterday (Aug 20). Photo: MoTS

PHUKET:-- Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakan has announced that travel bubble tours to Phuket may begin from Oct 1. 

Mr Phiphat revealed the news at the “SMEs New Normal” event held at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok yesterday (Aug 20).

During his speech to attendees at the event, Mr Phiphat said that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had approved Phuket travel bubbles to begin from Oct 1.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-travel-bubbles-may-begin-from-oct-1-77069.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-08-21

47 minutes ago, CapeTown said:

The government wants 0 cases and is trashing its economy and starving 90% of its citizens. It is waiting for a free vaccination program for all its citizens - paid for by The West

No one is actually starving though, Thailand is also developing its own vaccine and if another Country makes a vaccine first, Thailand would gladly pay for it 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, farang51 said:

I will certainly consider it. I use to spend six months in Thailand every winter, and then 14 days in quarantine is not that bad. However, I will wait and see how this turns out; instead of going October 1st as I use to, I will probably wait until November 1th - it also depends on the available hotels, I will not stay at an expensive 5-star hotel.

Good idea ????????

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Visitors will have to take an additional test and remain within the province for another week before they can travel to other parts of the country

I assume these test will be at the expense of the 'visitors'?

How much insurance cover will they need specifically for Covid - I'm guessing it won't be that cheap?

Just reported in UK Guardian newspaper

"

Myanmar has locked down the state capital of the conflict-torn Rakhine state after an outbreak of a coronavirus strain that officials said was more infectious than that previously seen in the country.

Since Monday, 19 people have tested positive for the virus in the western region, health officials confirmed on Friday, the first local transmission in Myanmar in months, bringing the total number of cases to 409.

Myat Htut Nyunt, deputy director at Myanmar’s department of medical research, said the type of virus was the same as a mutation detected earlier this week in Malaysia, which has been found in Europe, North America, and parts of Asia and is thought to be more infectious.

“So we would like to inform the people that this kind of virus has a faster rate of transmission,” Nyunt said."

So, the more infectious strain has arrived close by.  Expect it to arrive in Thailand in 3,2,1...

10 minutes ago, NE1 said:

What happens when they are 10 days into their quarantine and another load of tourists turn up. Do they go to a seperate hotel. 

For it to really work the airlines would have to run like a package tour , where everybody on that plane stays in the same hotel.

So you would need 14 seperate quarantine hotels to accommodate 14 days of " package tours " to stop later arrivals mixing with the earlier arrivals.

Could work.. 

1 hour ago, MadMac said:

But perhaps a way for stranded expats to come back, if anything at all.

Agreed, and also for those that have been here since Mid March when things went pear shaped to return to their home country with the knowledge they can get back here again via this route.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travelanimal said:

Finally some sense prevails . They should test at airport and if negative send them 7 days In qurantine rather than 15 

Except that the virus has an incubation period of up to 14 days... and can remain undetected for that length of time post-exposure, before symptoms can surface if they do. And people are said to be most contagious in the few days before symptoms surface, and then the first few days after.

35 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I assume these test will be at the expense of the 'visitors'?

How much insurance cover will they need specifically for Covid - I'm guessing it won't be that cheap?

Haven't heard any plan to change the currently required $100,000 USD medical coverage including for COVID.

• Like 1