Thailand to allow long-stay tourists in island of Phuket from October

Jonathan Fairfield

This can’t succeed unless they make major changes. The point of this seemed to be to allow a significant amount of long stay tourists to go to Thailand. A few hotels, exorbitant costs, mountains of paperwork and the required medical resources will only work for a relatively small number of people. And, obviously, there would need to be a new visa so one can stay longer than 90 days. 

I suspect they will not make big changes, however many hundred ‘tourists’ will go and they will say they gave it their best shot. I won’t go under the current conditions. If it’s relaxed and an easier process, I will. 

42 minutes ago, Aussie Col said:

People will not come back in any great numbers even long stay one's if they have to stay 2 weeks in a hotel at their own expense many miles from where they want to be.

At this point they have not indicated the visitor will need to stay in a hotel miles away from where they want to be, so I would not jump to any conclusions on this yet.

In my opinion, if I was a returning long term visitor (which is what this is aimed at) I would not be worried in the slightest about these conditions, they will not be enforced.

The government is play acting by announcing all these conditions, it is just to show the Thai people they intend do everything in their powers to “protect” them from the outsiders coming in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taxin said:

At this point they have not indicated the visitor will need to stay in a hotel miles away from where they want to be, so I would not jump to any conclusions on this yet.

In my opinion, if I was a returning long term visitor (which is what this is aimed at) I would not be worried in the slightest about these conditions, they will not be enforced.

The government is play acting by announcing all these conditions, it is just to show the Thai people they intend do everything in their powers to “protect” them from the outsiders coming in.

Bangkok ASQ must be mentioned as this is directly comparable, the process of paperwork, testing and quarantine is almost identical. What makes you think otherwise?

Why do you think such restrictions in Phuket will be so loosely enforced when they're being so strictly enforced in Bangkok? You seem to think there will be no testing, no quarantine and people will roam at their free will...? 

And you said come October, ASQ will be finished? What will happen from October then in Bangkok, Phuket or wherever else do you think? 

3 hours ago, leicesterguyuk said:

Bangkok ASQ must be mentioned as this is directly comparable, the process of paperwork, testing and quarantine is almost identical. What makes you think otherwise?

Why do you think such restrictions in Phuket will be so loosely enforced when they're being so strictly enforced in Bangkok? You seem to think there will be no testing, no quarantine and people will roam at their free will...? 

And you said come October, ASQ will be finished? What will happen from October then in Bangkok, Phuket or wherever else do you think? 

Very simple, ASQ in Bangkok was set up for the select few, returning Thais, expats with work permits, etc. What we will (or hope to) see in Phuket will be the first step in allowing tourists in, completely different.

ASQ in Bangkok you cannot leave your room, in Phuket they are talking about allowing the visitor to roam around within 1km, so how can they be identical ? What they are proposing in Phuket is not quarantine, it’s testing and observation.

What I expect in Bangkok come October will be similar to what they plan to do in Phuket, which is a more relaxed version of what they are doing now. Maybe I’m wrong to say October as they need to trial Phuket first, November certainly.

The Thai authorities are renowned for setting such rules only to realise later they were never really thought out properly. Such as the fiasco on the BTS in BKK where strict social distancing was put in place, only to see hoards of commuters rammed into the carriages like packed sardines. What did the authorities do ? They simply turned a blind eye to it. Same will happen in Phuket.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, taxin said:

ASQ in Bangkok you cannot leave your room, in Phuket they are talking about allowing the visitor to roam around within 1km, so how can they be identical ? What they are proposing in Phuket is not quarantine, it’s testing and observation.

The current requirements and hotel/hospital brochures are exactly the same as for ASQ.  Whether it happens in practice is another matter, but for anyone making plans that is what they should work from IMO.

1 minute ago, treetops said:

The current requirements and hotel/hospital brochures are exactly the same as for ASQ.  Whether it happens in practice is another matter, but for anyone making plans that is what they should work from IMO.

Exactly, they are not going to allow a plane load of passengers from wherever possibly from different countries wander round, it only takes one to have Covid and the others will be.

On 8/21/2020 at 5:44 PM, snoop1130 said:

Phuket travel bubbles may begin from Oct 1

By The Phuket News

1598002078_1-org.jpg

Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakan at the event in Bangkok yesterday (Aug 20). Photo: MoTS

PHUKET:-- Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakan has announced that travel bubble tours to Phuket may begin from Oct 1. 

Mr Phiphat revealed the news at the “SMEs New Normal” event held at Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok yesterday (Aug 20).

During his speech to attendees at the event, Mr Phiphat said that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had approved Phuket travel bubbles to begin from Oct 1.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-travel-bubbles-may-begin-from-oct-1-77069.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-08-21

And here: 

2 million tourists from Wuhan?

Edited by teacherclaire

28 minutes ago, taxin said:

Very simple, ASQ in Bangkok was set up for the select few, returning Thais, expats with work permits, etc. What we will (or hope to) see in Phuket will be the first step in allowing tourists in, completely different.

What I expect in Bangkok come October will be similar to what they plan to do in Phuket, which is a more relaxed version of what they are doing now. Maybe I’m wrong to say October as they need to trial Phuket first, November certainly.

The Thai authorities are renowned for setting such rules only to realise later they were never really thought out properly. Such as the fiasco on the BTS in BKK where strict social distancing was put in place, only to see hoards of commuters rammed into the carriages like packed sardines. What did the authorities do ? They simply turned a blind eye to it. Same will happen in Phuket.

Wrong. Bangkok isn't for the 'select few'. There are around 4,000 ASQ rooms in Bangkok, which I imagine is more than there will be in Phuket, to start with anyway. 

And the principle is the same, they don't want any covid cases so the rules will be almost like for like. Yes there's the proposal of this 1km idea, but nothing has been finalised. It might not even happen at all. 

The Phuket plan mentions ALSQ, so yes, it is quarantine. 

You expect Bangkok in October or November to be allowing people within 1km of their 'quarantine' hotel? That's potentially interaction with a hell of a lot of people in Bangkok. Unless the government makes a huge u-turn on their priorities and approach, it ain't gonna happen. 

4 hours ago, leicesterguyuk said:

You expect Bangkok in October or November to be allowing people within 1km of their 'quarantine' hotel? That's potentially interaction with a hell of a lot of people in Bangkok. Unless the government makes a huge u-turn on their priorities and approach, it ain't gonna happen. 

Yes but only if there are no cases in Phuket during the first few weeks of them allowing visitors in.

I completely agree with you about the potential danger to the Bangkok population by relaxing on quarantine, it is too much of a risk. 

Phuket on the other hand is a different fish, the place is completely deserted, so if they do open up in October and close again in November due to an outbreak, it’s really no big deal.

All the “stranded” tourists have left, the majority of the Thai work force have left due to lack of jobs, the only remaining Thais are the starving ones praying for the island to open up. Pretty much the opposite of the Bangkok Thais who would be 99% against it.

This is why the ASQ in BKK and what they plan to do Phuket are completely different, they are simply using a deserted island in the south to test the water, as it’s a much safer and less risky option than doing it in BKK.

On 8/26/2020 at 9:32 PM, taxin said:

This is why the ASQ in BKK and what they plan to do Phuket are completely different, they are simply using a deserted island in the south to test the water, as it’s a much safer and less risky option than doing it in BKK.

You're assuming some similar reasoning on behalf of whoever is organising this.  A rash assumption I fear.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 5:47 AM, Travelanimal said:

Finally some sense prevails . They should test at airport and if negative send them 7 days In qurantine rather than 15 

you guys misread ..it is 21 days at a 5 star hotel with limited access with at leasr 3 tests,, 

then you come to thailand for 30 days  tou are ready to go home with screaming kids

cost for this nonsense= $3000 per person 

for what???? to please the rouyal elite that owns the hotels in phuket

hahaha to you stupid idiots in the government-- nobody will come